Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:28 PM EDT
So a while back the grocery store had Buy 1 5 pack get 2 free.  So I stocked up.  Few days ago (4) I took 2 out of the freezer abs dethawded them in the fridge.  Took a day in the fridge to be soft again.  Steaks were just some 3/4 lb strips.  Anywho, I threw some salt on them to dry it out for about 10 hrs and then washed the salt off and dried them off again. They sat in the fridge, each cover with paper towels that were changed ever 12 hrs for 3 days.  Took them out a few hrs ago to get to room temp then cooked them as i normally would.  

After it was done, they looked.....ok.  I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have salted it cause they weren't "dry" but at best I could have gotte. Medium.  Tbese turned out more medium well.  Taste Wise, I had a few bites and it tasted ok, but on the salty side.  Gf wasn't a fan of it (but she is the type that likes her steaks rare with just pepper on it at the end).  So....im ready to take my lumps....what/where did I go wrong.  How can I correct it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You completely screwed the pooch..... No salt and its best to google the process.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You completely screwed the pooch..... No salt and its best to google the process.
View Quote

This was the first hit on "How to dry age beef".

You cannot dry age a single steak, you need the whole loin (or whatever you're using).

Dry aging
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You cannot dry age a single steak, you need the whole loin (or whatever you're using).

Dry aging
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry aging

Go get a strip roll or rib roll at Sam"s or Cosco.
Take it out of the package. DON'T salt it!!
Put it on a tray and turn it over every 3 days.
I usually go 2 weeks, have gone 3.
I age in a spare refrigerator. Leave it alone. If you open the fridge 2-3 times a day you're screwing up.
At the end of your chosen aging time, Slice individual steaks and store them. I vacuum seal mine in 2s.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I age in a spare refrigerator. Leave it alone. If you open the fridge 2-3 times a day you're screwing up.
At the end of your chosen aging time, Slice individual steaks and store them. I vacuum seal mine in 2s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry aging

What about shaving the fungus off the surface before you slice it up?  When I seen meat markets sell / cut dry aged meats they take a tool that looks like the gyro shaver to the hunk of meat to get rid of the surface sum growing on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
You can age a single steak in the fridge.  It is not as good as a true dry aged steak but does improve the flavor.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-chimney-porterhouse-recipe.html
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been in the habit of buying a ribeye, cutting it into steaks and aging them in the refrigerator.

I take each individual steak, moisten all the surfaces with fish sauce, wrap them individually in cheese cloth and put them on a rack in the fridge. 3 days in, I pull them, unwrap them, wash them off, and wrap them back up. They'll be 'aged' in about a week...just like if they had been dry-aged for a month. The fish sauce adds enzymes that help break down the fibrous tissues.

I used to own a restaurant and dry aged our meat in the walk-in. This works just as well and doesn't take nearly as long.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top