Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2016 2:53:20 PM EDT
I'm shopping for a spit rotisserie to host pig roasts.  Currently looking at this one:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013M66LPG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=382KESHI6TU0N&coliid=IWGV7O8Y54JEE

I have no idea what I'm doing, just winging it here, figure I'll learn as I go.  Advice/recommendations are most welcome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy this instead- works like a champ:
https://www.amazon.com/Asadora-Roasting-China-Roaster-Aluminum/dp/B005N0ZN2C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0KX2DGRY88FTHSZV6Q5P

Got a relative with one and it WORKS.  Also badass for large quantities of ribs and butts etc.

Maybe not this exact one but a similar one works like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.amazon.com/Asadora-Roasting-China-Roaster-Aluminum/dp/B005N0ZN2C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0KX2DGRY88FTHSZV6Q5P

Got a relative with one and it WORKS.  Also badass for large quantities of ribs and butts etc.

View Quote

What this guy said...
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What this guy said...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What this guy said...

Yup.....I have been to many pig roasts where this box was used and it works great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with the one I linked.  If it were purely for food prep purposes, I would have done the crate thing, but having the pig out there roasting for everyone to see...there's just a cool factor there that I can't get past.

I'll post some pics when I roast the first pig.  Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I went with the one I linked.  If it were purely for food prep purposes, I would have done the crate thing, but having the pig out there roasting for everyone to see...there's just a cool factor there that I can't get past.

View Quote

You would love the crate.....high on cool factor also.

I have been to pig roasts using both methods and I will tell you the crate method is clearly better...no question about it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have been to pig roasts using both methods and I will tell you the crate method is clearly better...no question about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything about the crate method screams that it is the better method, so I don't doubt for a second that it is.  Easier...quicker...more even cooking.  A spit just satisfies some primitive urge I have to roast meat on a stick over a fire.

I have 2 pig roasts lined up this month.  Cola Warrior East, we're doing an 80-100 lb pig, and then I'm roasting a 60 lb pig for Halloween's Eve.  I'll post pics after CWE, so check back in a little over a week.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup.....I have been to many pig roasts where this box was used and it works great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What this guy said...

4th to recommend the caja china, its the only way to do it here in FL for a whole pig. Most Latinos will agree
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The pig was great...ended up being 88 lbs, cooked for 19 hours, it was delicious.  Depending on the time, I was too drunk or too busy to take pictures, but there are some here.  (Warning:  Some Cola Warrior photos might be...offputting...avoid while eating.  )

To be honest, it was kind of an ugly pig, and it didn't cook up pretty, but every inch from the neck down was incredibly flavorful, tender, and delicious.  The head itself was almost raw...because of the discoloration, we thought it was overcooking, so we tamped down the heat under its head, and it just never cooked very well.  And when I do it again in 2 weeks, I'm going to mop the pig as it cooks to avoid those streaks from where the juice ran over the outside and darkened.

Pig #2 should be pretty awesome, looking forward to it.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to pit roast pigs. Stuff them with turkeys, wrap it in banana leaves, wrap it in wet burlap, wrap that in chicken wire.

Lower package into pit full of coals with a sheet of corrugated metal on top of them, put another sheet of metal over pig and back-fill the pit with dirt.

24 hours and it's falling off the bone goodness.

Pro-tip: More than one pig can fit in a pit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:58:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used to pit roast pigs. Stuff them with turkeys, wrap it in banana leaves, wrap it in wet burlap, wrap that in chicken wire.

Lower package into pit full of coals with a sheet of corrugated metal on top of them, put another sheet of metal over pig and back-fill the pit with dirt.

View Quote

I've had a few pit pigs over the years, and I have never, not once, gone back for seconds.  I don't know if it was bad pigs or bad cooks, but whatever it was, it was bad.

The spit pig I did a couple of weeks ago?  I'm glad there were 100 other people there, otherwise I might have eaten the whole damned thing.  

The 60 pounder gets picked up tomorrow evening.  This one is getting mopped regularly, so I'm hoping it's a prettier pig than the last one...but as long as it tastes as good as the last one, I'll be ecstatic.

Hopefully I get more pics of this one, too.  All I have to do this time is cook the pig and drink beer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've had a few pit pigs over the years, and I have never, not once, gone back for seconds.  I don't know if it was bad pigs or bad cooks, but whatever it was, it was bad.

The spit pig I did a couple of weeks ago?  I'm glad there were 100 other people there, otherwise I might have eaten the whole damned thing.  

The 60 pounder gets picked up tomorrow evening.  This one is getting mopped regularly, so I'm hoping it's a prettier pig than the last one...but as long as it tastes as good as the last one, I'll be ecstatic.

Hopefully I get more pics of this one, too.  All I have to do this time is cook the pig and drink beer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's good duty if you can get it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#12]
The pig was butterflied when I picked it up from the butcher.  Didn't find out until midnight when I unwrapped it to spit and truss it.  We had to improvise and essentially make Franken-pig:

It didn't work.  

Looked okay on the outside, but it needed to go another 5 or 6 hours...the pics are from the 15th hour.  We couldn't cook it any hotter than we did because it just turned into a big grease fire when we tried.

The butcher gave me a full refund when I contacted him this morning to let him know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top