Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2016 11:58:01 AM EDT
Looking at getting a Pellet smoker to replace a charcoal rig that I have been using for years. Anyone have any suggestions. I see a lot of options out there. I'd like something sturdy. I've seen some Treagers at stores here locally but the metal seems kind of thin.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Camp Chef because it was CHEAP and I wasn't sold on the concept
It seems kind of flimsy as well, but it's up to Trager and Green Mountain standards
BTW, I love this thing. It rocks, and it was half what a Trager was
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two friends who have tregers. They are awesome for ovens.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
RecTec 680.

I've had mine for 6 months, and I've been very happy with it.
Excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Yoder is another to look at.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Traeger clone, I've owned it for almost five years now and it works great.

But my next pellet smoker will most likely be a Rec Tec.

Just know that a pellet smoker/grill will NOT do-it-all for back yard cooking, most of them don't get hot enough to sear meat.

You will still need an inexpensive gas or charcoal grill for some tasks.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a Traeger and like most things there is a learning curve. I'm trying steaks tonight using some smoke time and reverse sear time. I still have my gas grill sitting next to the Traeger so the sear is easy peasy.
There are options for searing on a smoker. I'm also looking at grill grates to get the sear
Tonight my plan is smoke for 40 minutes or so until internal temp reaches about 110* then sear on the gas grill for a minute or so each side. I like med rare.
I'm still climbing the learning curve, YMMV
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:13:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a modified traeger that I love, you might look at the pellet pro smokers.
The owner is a good guy who personally returned my call on a Saturday when I had a question
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I made pesto crusted pork loin for dinner last night on my Rec Tec pellet grill.  pork loin, coated in homemade pesto that I added some extra olive oil to to stretch it, wrapped in parchment paper and tied up.  Smoked at 225 until internal temp was 135, let rest for 30 minutes and sliced.

Pellets were cookin' pellets perfect mix.

It was excellent.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Grill grates are serviceable for the searing.  When reverse searing, I smoke the meat and pull it to rest.  Crank the rec tec to infinity and put on the grill grates (or if there was room put them on during the smoke next to the meat to save a tiny bit of time).  When the grill gets about as hot as it is going to get sear the meat.  I have an IR thermometer, when the pellet grill gets to a little over 400 the surface on the grill grates is about 600 degrees.  I'd prefer it a little hotter but it works.

Still debating a little gas grill for sear work.  It would save some waiting time and get a better sear.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Pellet Pro with a Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator.  I recently upgraded to the PID loop controller that I think they all have now.  Temp control is +/-1 degree F.  

The grill is nothing short of awesome and they have great customer service.  

I have used Treager and a friend has three of them.  I think they are also starting to ship with more accurate controllers.  Good grills.

If you have tons of cash to blow, buy a Yoder.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Green Mountain that I have been VERY impressed with.  I was eyeing a REC TEC, but their sizes were either too big or too small.  The GMG Daniel Boone ended up being the perfect size for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Green Mountain that I have been VERY impressed with.  I was eyeing a REC TEC, but their sizes were either too big or too small.  The GMG Daniel Boone ended up being the perfect size for me.
View Quote

I did end up with the rec tec 680 (the bigger one).  Usually I use less than half of it and the smaller one would have worked.  Then randomly I need to do a big cook and I'm glad I have the size.

Only issue I have had was the igniter died (its a wear item and happens on all units from all vendors) and when it came to replace it one of the fire pot screws was badly cross threaded and it stripped.  Ended up grinding the head off and drilling/tapping the hole.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I plan on purchasing that model pretty shortly, the quality seems a lot better than traegers current product.

I'm trying to decide if the wifi model is pointless or genius.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
RecTec 680.

I've had mine for 6 months, and I've been very happy with it.
Excellent customer service.
View Quote

That's what I'd do.  I just don't pellet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Rec tec is the answer you seek. I got the mini and I LOVE it. It literally does everything amazing. It's so easy and just amazing flavor. Burgers, pizza, wings, veggies, ribs, chicken all have been great. Honestly it makes me excited about cooking again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I plan on purchasing that model pretty shortly, the quality seems a lot better than traegers current product.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got one for Father's day.  

Love it. The wifi seems gimmicky until you use it.

I did a brisket over the weekend and it was fantastic.

I kept my old gas grill for the searing. It does save a lite time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up mine on Saturday, already used it twice and am doing another cook tomorrow or Wednesday.

Love it so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top