Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2016 9:53:47 PM EDT
Normally I crutch it but this time I'm determined to power through.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wrap it in two layers of heavy duty foil. It really helps with the power through on the stall.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Wrap in butcher paper... A paper target will work in a pinch
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just wrap it in two layers of heavy duty foil. It really helps with the power through on the stall.
View Quote

That is what the crutch he said he wasn't going to do is...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave it alone.

No crutch.

If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It finally broke through and turned out just fine. That one took close to 15hrs which is longer than I have experienced in the past when crutching it. Just wanted to try it without wrapping to see how it went.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at it this way. The stall lets you get more sleep at night. Put it on before you go to bed instead of having to get up in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It finally broke through and turned out just fine. That one took close to 15hrs which is longer than I have experienced in the past when crutching it. Just wanted to try it without wrapping to see how it went.

View Quote

So, did it lose moisture?  I always use the crutch because i don't want the brisket to dry out.

Was there any real change (smoke ring deeper, outside more charred, etc), or did it just take longer to cook?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a screen shot of a brisket.  At 225F, meat temp went from 40F to 150F in under 4 hrs, then took it 4.5 hrs to bust out of the stall at 160F.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's a screen shot of a brisket.  At 225F, meat temp went from 40F to 150F in under 4 hrs, then took it 4.5 hrs to bust out of the stall at 160F.

<a href="http://s263.photobucket.com/user/allanteman/media/9322d62c-5d52-4aad-9af3-0a77145bd31e_zpssckz8zee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/allanteman/9322d62c-5d52-4aad-9af3-0a77145bd31e_zpssckz8zee.jpg</a>
View Quote

BBQ Guru?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BBQ Guru?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BBQ Guru?

Nope, been there, done that and dumped them.

FlameBoss200 Wifi

Light years ahead of the Guru products, much better customer support, and at a lower cost.  Give me a shout if you want one.  If you would like to login to mine, I can send you the username and password and you can access it, adjust it, and receive text messages from your computer or phone.  It uses your Wifi connection to dial into its own server--so you don't need to be a network genius to dial into your network remotely to access it.  MyFlameBoss.com is the website you use to access it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So, did it lose moisture?  I always use the crutch because i don't want the brisket to dry out.

Was there any real change (smoke ring deeper, outside more charred, etc), or did it just take longer to cook?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The outside had more bark too it. It was a little dry in the thinner areas but not terrible.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

FlameBoss200 Wifi

Light years ahead of the Guru products, much better customer support, and at a lower cost.  Give me a shout if you want one.  If you would like to login to mine, I can send you the username and password and you can access it, adjust it, and receive text messages from your computer or phone.  It uses your Wifi connection to dial into its own server--so you don't need to be a network genius to dial into your network remotely to access it.  MyFlameBoss.com is the website you use to access it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BBQ Guru?

FlameBoss200 Wifi

I'll check it out thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on what you using to smoke with and a lot of time how much moisture is being keep inside your smoker. When I would try it with the charcoal smoker it would come out dry sweet smoke ring and thick bark on it. With the electric smoker I don't need to do a crutch to it as it's is just full of moisture.

What I have found that helps a lot is after your done smoking is Holding. Then it comes off the cooker and it gets wrapped in foil and sits in a faux cambro, an insulated box, for 1 to 4 hours. You can also let it hold in foil in an oven, indoor or out, at 170 to 190°F. Holding helps tenderize by allowing some carryover cooking which helps melt tough connective tissue. The foil also captures natural jus for use in a sauce, and holding the meat allows the surface parts that have dried out during cooking to absorb some of the juices. This is not the same as resting a steak or other meats, which I do not recommend. Holding is also a great fudge factor that lets you take the meat off when it is ready and hold it until the guests are ready.

Link to a great site for smoked food
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top