Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 9:58:17 AM EDT
Well I got a seasoned pan from my dad. I've never had one or cooked with one. The question my wife asked was how it stays clean amd sanitary after cooking raw chicken. I know you don't use soap and water to clean it just wipe down and a light coat with oil.

She is arguing with me that it's not "clean" and will make our 2 year old sick. How do I change my sandwich makers mind?

Its a nice deep pan with lid and heavy as hell, supposedly passed down the family.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#1]
S.O. cleans them with rock salt or soap water then dries them on a burner.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one that hasn't been cleaned in 20 years.  just rinse in hot water a paper towel wipe ......people would freak to see food prep 500 years ago
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
180° will kill the bugs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Let her know that drying the skillet on the range top heats the iron well beyond the temperature needed to kill any germs.  Might mention that the build up is just carbon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
If she really wants to clean it tell her to add a tbsp of course grain salt and a tbsp of canola oil and then rub it down when its heated to around 200° then rinse with hot water, dry on burner then wipe down the inside with an oily paper towel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread needs more Cast Iron.
Griswold 865/866 lamb mold.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Time for food.

1.Grab my Wagner #3 that sees only salted butter and toast some bagels.

#2. In my small logo Griswold that sees only bacon grease or Crisco I start a egg.

#3 I flip that egg once.

#4 Add  Hatch green chili and cheese.

#5 Add the egg.

#6 I put it all back in the Wagner and cover it with my Martin.

#7. Clean your pans. Then eat.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well I got a seasoned pan from my dad. I've never had one or cooked with one. The question my wife asked was how it stays clean amd sanitary after cooking raw chicken. I know you don't use soap and water to clean it just wipe down and a light coat with oil.

She is arguing with me that it's not "clean" and will make our 2 year old sick. How do I change my sandwich makers mind?

Its a nice deep pan with lid and heavy as hell, supposedly passed down the family.
View Quote

Physics.  If the pan was hot enough to cook the food to a temperature in which it's  safe to eat the food, the pan was quite obviously too hot for those same things to survive on its surface.  The food doesn't magically become safe, but the pan it's sitting on doesn't.  

I've had this fight with so many people...It's really sickening...A little bit of logical thinking.  The human race wouldn't exist if cooking on cast iron wasn't safe.  It was the ONLY OPTION for many years.(this is dramatic, I know...people survived without cast iron cooking implements at all)
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

180° will kill the bugs.
View Quote
This.

It's pretty simple. If the pan got hot enough to cook the food to the point that it is safe to eat, it has killed the "germs" that could make one sick.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Post pictures of the piece!!!

We'll be able to tell you what you have.  Top, Bottom, Handle, as much as you can.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

How can you eat the food that was raw (before you cooked) out of the pan then by that logic?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top