Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 5:55:06 PM EDT

Big Green Egg tips, tricks, advice, recopies.

My girlfriend got a Big Green Egg, last week for my birthday.
She got me the Mini Max.

I was hoping some of the other Egg (and other  similar grill ) owners out there.
Might could help me with some tips, tricks you have picked up along with away, and general advice.

And recipes would be AWSOME

I gave cooked on it 3 times
Chicken turned out great,
Shrimp was ok
And steak was under cooked.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a pizza stone.  Make a pizza.  Get the egg hot and smoking with charcoal and mesquite wood chunks.  Cook pizza for about 7 minutes.  Feel your eyes roll back in your head with delight when you take the first bite.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got an egg a couple weeks ago.  I cooked on gas my entire life up to this point.  My break in meal was fajita's.  This recipes using Skirt Steak.

Fajitas

I cooked it 4 mins a side at 500 degrees and they were perfect (still red/pink on the inside).  I threw the tortilla's on there for less than a min a side.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had my egg for four or five years now, some of the best money I've ever spent.  My favorite use for it is reverse searing steaks, tri tip and pork chops.  To make that easier I use a Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store.  I have a large BGE and the Woo for it has handles that stick up above the cooking grate.  The Woo holds the plate setter and the cooking grate so I can pull them both out as one unit.  For a reverse sear I put the whole thing in and cook the meat over low/indirect heat.  Once it gets to the proper temp I pull the Woo out, pull the cooking grate off of it and put it back on the firebox for the sear.  It makes life a lot easier because I don't have to try to handle the hot plate setter.

Large Woo

The one they make for the Minimax doesn't look to have handles, maybe they could add them for you if you asked?

MiniMax Woo

The only down side (not much of one for me) is that the Woo raises the cooking grate up level with the base of the egg.  This actually works really well for pizza as you don't have to try to get down inside of the egg to retrieve your pie but it also reduces the cooking space a bit if you're cooking large hunks of meat, a whole turkey, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks guys.

I have successfully

Burgers

Chicken

Steaks, I have tried three times, and have not been able to dial it in perfectly yet.
{I am perfectionist on this

For the pizza.
Are yall making them from scratch?  ( easy recipe, I not good in the kitchen)
Going to a Papa Murphy type take-N-Bake place
Or just firing it up and putting the Digiorno on there

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd look at the party q fan and temperature combo, and do a pork butt. The fan/temp controllers make it super easy to do low and slow smoking. Just look on Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure you burp it, i.e. When it's hot don't just fling it open but open it a little a few times in a row before you open all the way. If not you will eventually get the shit burned out of your hand
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are having trouble with steaks look up the t-Rex method. Thank me later
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are having trouble with steaks look up the t-Rex method. Thank me later
View Quote

I used to use this method until I tried a reverse sear.  Easily the best steak I've ever had whether I cooked it or paid $60 for it at a high dollar steak steak joint.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Another tip for anyone interested.  There is something magical about a combination of Hawaiian Alaea salt, granulated garlic and pecan wood smoke.  Steak, chicken or pork chops turn out phenomenal.  I season chicken an hour before cooking, chops and steak can sit longer.  You don't have to do a full bore reverse sear but just a couple minutes of light smoke and indirect heat before searing and it's magic.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Make sure you burp it, i.e. When it's hot don't just fling it open but open it a little a few times in a row before you open all the way. If not you will eventually get the shit burned out of your hand
View Quote

I lost some arm hair this weekend, b/c I didn't burp it properly.  I won't be making that mistake again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]

I just ordered  this pizza stone.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WU4LIIW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
The 10in stone seemed like the best size for the Mini_Max
I could squeeze a 12in there, but I was not sure it would leave enough room for the heat to get around it.
It is 13in cooking area.

Also called my local pizza place they will sell me balls of dough for 75_cents....

Cigar, Steak, SBR, red wine, Big Green Egg. (form Saturday night)

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you like that little sized one?   I have a large and have been tempted to get the little guy for if I want to do something for just me for dinner.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How do you like that little sized one?   I have a large and have been tempted to get the little guy for if I want to do something for just me for dinner.
View Quote

I like.
Just don't plain on cooking for more than 2 or 4 people  (depending on what you cook)
I have the Mini-Max there smallest one.
It has a 12in cooking area.

But it is portable.
Taking to tailgates & on the boat. (Catch them, fillet them, and straight to the egg)
Clean up is easy, became I can put the grill grate into the dishwasher being so small ( this is awesome )
Also we plan on building a outdoor kitchen next month & the Mini_Max took up the lease space of all the eggs.

If you are cooking for just you and the s/o it is Perfect & less clean up & maintenance.
It heats up faster and I have done 3 hour cook on it no problem.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

I have successfully

Burgers

Chicken

Steaks, I have tried three times, and have not been able to dial it in perfectly yet.
{I am perfectionist on this

For the pizza.
Are yall making them from scratch?  ( easy recipe, I not good in the kitchen)
Going to a Papa Murphy type take-N-Bake place
Or just firing it up and putting the Digiorno on there

View Quote

We've done pizzas from scratch and I've tossed frozen pizzas on the platesetter.  In both cases you pick up smoke from the grill and the crust is phenomenal.  You're making brick oven pizza at home.

My best advice is to use good quality lump charcoal, not the cheap stuff full of tiny nuggets and dust.   Yes it costs more, but with an egg you'll get multiple cooks out of one load of charcoal anyway.

Temp regulation is a cinch.  Once it's set, leave the top down until the time is up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I am not the guy for recipes. But I love my Minimax, it is my workhorse. I use more than the others. I take with me alot and use it, so much so I discarded the handled carrier it came with for a more useful one that has foldable shelves/carry handles. It is quite a charcoal miser and to large it cannot be move around easily.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#16]
The girlfriend is not a big fan of seafood.
And seeing as is she is out of town,  and Kroger's had lobster tails on sale,
This seemed like a good time to try some seafood on the Big Green Egg

I did a tuna steak & a lobster tail.

For the Tune Steak.
I went with one
1 1/2 in thick yellow fin tune steak
1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup of vegetable oil (no peanut oil, allergic to nuts)
1 tea spoon of minced garlic
A pinch of black pepper

I took a sharp knife, and cut about 1/2 cuts all over it.
Put all the ingredients in a zip locked bag.
With all the air out, shake well and let it sit in the fridge for about 1 hour. Giving it a shake every now & then.

I seared it around 425 for 2 1/2 mins on each side.
And it came out alittle over cooked for preference,   being medium.
But it was good!!

Now for the lobster tail.
I went for the dwell - in - the - shell method
4 Huge Lobster Tails
1 bit Peanut Oil
1-2 each Limes
Garlic Powder
1 Touch Lawry's Seasoning Salt
(Optional) New Mexican Green Chili Powder
Butter
Minced Garlic

Preparation:
1 Picked up 4 huge lobster tails. Thought at first, 1 pound tails for each of us would be ok. Naaaaahhhh - if two tails would be good, 4 tails for the two of us would be better, right ?
2 Get your shears and cut the clear membrane off the belly of the tail, getting rid of the tiny feet, exposing the meat.
3 Rinse them good, dry them with paper towel and place them shell side up on a cutting board. Take a heavy knife or cleaver, place it lengthwise (parallel) in the center of the shell and tap the back of the blade into the shell, cracking it ever so slightly. This is so our tail will lay flat on the grill. Do not take meat out of the shell !
4 Now flip them over, belly side up. Take a bit of oil ( I used peanut )and pour a small amount on your fingers, and lightly rub the meat. Don't use much at all, barely a drizzle.
5 Grab a lime or two and squeeze juice and pulp all over the meat, liberally.
6 Then shake on garlic powder and a touch of Lawry's seasoning salt.
7 I then have to throw my favorite ingredient of all time, which goes on everything I cook, New Mexican green chili powder. Don't worry if you don't have this, it's hard to find, and your lobsters will still be far and above any lobster you ever had before.
8 Place covered tails in fridge for an hour or so to marinade while your gettin' your cooker ready.
9 Get a good hot bed of lump going and preheat your cooker to 400 - 450 degrees. As all of you know, when it comes to seafood and a good hot fire, you must move swiftly because every minute counts.
10 Place tails, meat side down on the grill and press them flat. This is why we weakened the shells earlier with the tapping cleaver.
11 Set your metal cup on the grill also with butter and minced garlic so it will melt and sauté' the garlic. Close the lid. If you don't have a metal cup to use on the grill while you're cookin', get one !
12 Open the cooker after 5 minutes and with a leather glove, carefully turn tails over onto their shells so meat is facing up towards the sky.
13 Take your cup (grab it with a leather glove please) with the butter and garlic, and spoon sautéed mixture onto the lobster tails. The tails will form a slight cupped shape which will hold most of the butter in place, but your fire will rage for a minute, and that is great.
14 Close the lid down and slowly begin to close top and bottom drafts so they can "Dwell in the Shell" for 5 more minutes. Remember - with a good hot fire, 5 minutes per side, that's it. With 50 dollars worth of lobster on the grill, you definitely want to pay attention. I don't recommend holding any conversations with your company while you're fixin' this supper. Tell your family and friends that you'll socialize again after this crucial 10 minutes is over. Once everyone tastes what you've agonized and sweated over for 10 minutes, no more explanations will be necessary. Simply, Heaven on Earth !
15 Serve with long grain and wild rice, corn on the cobs, asparagus, salad, just about anything. Even though we had melted butter to dip the lobster in, it wasn't really necessary. It was so good that we're doing it again for the family tomorrow night. They'll be surprised when they get beef tenderloin steaks and lobster tails out of their brisket and pulled pork ......Houndog.
16 I'm not that good a cook, but these tails are truly world class. Give 'em a try.
View Quote

I did only one tail
But it turned out great!! !!
I copied the recipe for the next person & to give credit to the original author.

Tune Steak
Lobster Tail
Grilled Asparagus
Fresh Rolls.
Beer is Abita Strawberry
SBR
HK45_CT with Osprey

Loving the Big Green Egg
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

For the Tune Steak.

I went with one

A pinch of black pepper

With all the air out, shake well and let it sit in the fridge for about 1 hour. Giving it a shake every now & then.

But it was good!!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Big%20Green%20Egg/20160326_172108_zpsdhce9fkz.jpg

I did only one tail

I copied the recipe for the next person & to give credit to the original author.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Big%20Green%20Egg/20160326_175316_zps7n0nbcjt.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Big%20Green%20Egg/20160326_202337_zpsbpkesabz.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Big%20Green%20Egg/20160326_203110_zpstbjixnua.jpg

Tune Steak

Lobster Tail

Grilled Asparagus

Fresh Rolls.

Beer is Abita Strawberry

SBR

HK45_CT with Osprey

Loving the Big Green Egg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For the Tune Steak.

I went with one

A pinch of black pepper

But it was good!!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Big%20Green%20Egg/20160326_172108_zpsdhce9fkz.jpg

4 Huge Lobster Tails

1 bit Peanut Oil

1-2 each Limes

Garlic Powder

1 Touch Lawry's Seasoning Salt

(Optional) New Mexican Green Chili Powder

Butter

Minced Garlic

Preparation:

1 Picked up 4 huge lobster tails. Thought at first, 1 pound tails for each of us would be ok. Naaaaahhhh - if two tails would be good, 4 tails for the two of us would be better, right ?

2 Get your shears and cut the clear membrane off the belly of the tail, getting rid of the tiny feet, exposing the meat.

3 Rinse them good, dry them with paper towel and place them shell side up on a cutting board. Take a heavy knife or cleaver, place it lengthwise (parallel) in the center of the shell and tap the back of the blade into the shell, cracking it ever so slightly. This is so our tail will lay flat on the grill. Do not take meat out of the shell !

4 Now flip them over, belly side up. Take a bit of oil ( I used peanut )and pour a small amount on your fingers, and lightly rub the meat. Don't use much at all, barely a drizzle.

5 Grab a lime or two and squeeze juice and pulp all over the meat, liberally.

6 Then shake on garlic powder and a touch of Lawry's seasoning salt.

7 I then have to throw my favorite ingredient of all time, which goes on everything I cook, New Mexican green chili powder. Don't worry if you don't have this, it's hard to find, and your lobsters will still be far and above any lobster you ever had before.

8 Place covered tails in fridge for an hour or so to marinade while your gettin' your cooker ready.

9 Get a good hot bed of lump going and preheat your cooker to 400 - 450 degrees. As all of you know, when it comes to seafood and a good hot fire, you must move swiftly because every minute counts.

10 Place tails, meat side down on the grill and press them flat. This is why we weakened the shells earlier with the tapping cleaver.

11 Set your metal cup on the grill also with butter and minced garlic so it will melt and sauté' the garlic. Close the lid. If you don't have a metal cup to use on the grill while you're cookin', get one !

12 Open the cooker after 5 minutes and with a leather glove, carefully turn tails over onto their shells so meat is facing up towards the sky.

13 Take your cup (grab it with a leather glove please) with the butter and garlic, and spoon sautéed mixture onto the lobster tails. The tails will form a slight cupped shape which will hold most of the butter in place, but your fire will rage for a minute, and that is great.

14 Close the lid down and slowly begin to close top and bottom drafts so they can "Dwell in the Shell" for 5 more minutes. Remember - with a good hot fire, 5 minutes per side, that's it. With 50 dollars worth of lobster on the grill, you definitely want to pay attention. I don't recommend holding any conversations with your company while you're fixin' this supper. Tell your family and friends that you'll socialize again after this crucial 10 minutes is over. Once everyone tastes what you've agonized and sweated over for 10 minutes, no more explanations will be necessary. Simply, Heaven on Earth !

15 Serve with long grain and wild rice, corn on the cobs, asparagus, salad, just about anything. Even though we had melted butter to dip the lobster in, it wasn't really necessary. It was so good that we're doing it again for the family tomorrow night. They'll be surprised when they get beef tenderloin steaks and lobster tails out of their brisket and pulled pork ......Houndog.

16 I'm not that good a cook, but these tails are truly world class. Give 'em a try.

I did only one tail

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Big%20Green%20Egg/20160326_175316_zps7n0nbcjt.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Big%20Green%20Egg/20160326_202337_zpsbpkesabz.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/GunSmoke_755/Big%20Green%20Egg/20160326_203110_zpstbjixnua.jpg

Tune Steak

Lobster Tail

Grilled Asparagus

Fresh Rolls.

Beer is Abita Strawberry

SBR

HK45_CT with Osprey

Loving the Big Green Egg
Looks good!

I have been using a method from Bobby Flay to grill lobster on the BGE.  It has you boil for 4 minutes, drain, then filet like you did.  4 minutes on the back brushing with butter, then 4 minutes on the flesh.  Brush with more butter and serve.

Comes out really well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top