Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 9:58:07 PM EDT
Hi all. I have a quick question. I was at my in-laws today and my MIL got a new deep fryer. I helped her make make up some scotch eggs and we used ground pork to wrap the egg. She cooked them like she normally did in her old fryer. After cooking about 5 or 6 minutes we took them out. After they were cooled I had one and my daughter had one. I finished mine in about 10 seconds because I love scotch eggs but when I was done I looked at the little bit my daughter had left and it was still pink in parts toward the center. It wasn't too raw but was definitely pink and not brown.  Now I know pork can be pink to a degree in the center but ground pork is supposed to be cooked through since it is all mixed up. Proper cooking kills off bacteria and trichinosis. What are the chances that this was undercooked enough to not have killed the various bacteria and trichinosis? The ground pork was just some pork from a tube roll. Nothing fancy. I can post a picture of the center if necessary.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't be too concerned, actual cases of trichinosis from commercially raised pork are quite numerically small.

This is a snippet from the CDC site on trichinosis from pork.

"Over the past 40 years, few cases of trichinellosis have been reported
in the United States, and the risk of trichinellosis from commercially
raised and properly prepared pork is very low."
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Trichinosis has been basically eradicated in domestic pork, however the chance of E-coli and Salmonella is present. I wouldn't be terribly concerned if there was no time/temp abuse.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
She uses the same recipe I use. Cook time is 5ish minutes. I mean it wasn't raw but I know it couldn't have been above 145 or so in the center
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Commercially available pork is usually frozen for 30 days to eliminate/reduce the risk of trichinosis.

I'd slightly more worried about salmonella with the ground meat; but even that risk is really low.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top