Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2015 10:07:20 PM EDT
A super sweet lady that I work with gave me a large bag of home grown Jalapeños.

They are incredibly hot, I bit into one and my mouth hasnt been on fire like it is right now since I was a freshman in college.

So what are some good recipes I for hot jalapeños?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep the center vain, and seeds. Grind them up in a food processor then add water. Let it sit and brew. Strain out the solids and use the water for cooking to add heat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A super sweet lady that I work with gave me a large bag of home grown Jalapeños.

They are incredibly hot, I bit into one and my mouth hasnt been on fire like it is right now since I was a freshman in college.

So what are some good recipes I for hot jalapeños?
View Quote

Make some Pepper jelly or Hawaiian hot sauce ( it's late e mail me for recipies)
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#4]
FPNI

Can't go wrong with ABTs
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I Third the Atomic Buffalo Turds!

Slice and pickle.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Lacto-ferment them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm partial to making a more or less standard jalepeno popper with a cheddar and cream cheese filling, egg washed and breaded, let air dry to set the breading.  then deep fry in a pan.

Dipping sauce for me is a raspberry jam thinned out with a little soy sauce.

ETA- the first thing I ever made with jalepenos was a copy of a relish my mom's friend made.   Basically a relish that was served with cheese and crackers.  Put some cheese on a cracker and put a spoonful of the relish on it.  Absolutely great.

The relish was jalepenos, green peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, celery, carrot, some salt, sugar, vinegar and some water.  I didn't cook it, I just mixed it up and put it in glass jars in the fridge and let it pickle.  You could cook it lightly and then jar it in the fridge to rush things a bit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Dry the ones you don't eat fresh.

Slice thin into little rings ignoring the seeds.

Place on dehydrator in a well ventilated area, or in a closed bathroom with exhaust fan running. (serious, you will gas the entire house otherwise and harm any pets)

24 hours later, you have dried, very "toasty" flavored peppers to put in/on stuff.  

They'll take up much less room, and re-hydrate pretty well if you want them to.

I use them on eggs, in brownies, in a lot of soups, on pizza, and just to eat one or two once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Dry them like RR_Broccoli advised...  No dehydrator?  Just put some cheese cloth over them and let them dry out in the air for a few days...

Put into manual Pepper Grinder...

Grind as desired to dust pizza slices, hot dogs, soups, chili...whatever you want to warm up.

We actually use habaneros for this and it's nuclear excellence...

The finer the grind, the better...
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Cut in half, hollow out, add peanut butter, wrap in bacon, cook @350 degrees for 30 min, broil for 2 min. So much win
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
aside from the obvious choice of abts, make your own hot sauce. WARNING- do this in a well ventilated area. if you don't it'll cause you to tear up and cough badly. I recommend putting a box fan in the kitchen window so that it blows the air out the window. I don't have an exhaust fan above my stove, but if you do, use it and the box fan in the window for better effect amounts of ingredients will be to your tastes.

you'll need-the peppers, onion powder, salt, vinegar, some baby carrots and citrus juice of your choice if desired(I like to use lime juice) and anything else you want in order to tailor the flavor to your liking(honey, various fruits, other non-starch veggies.....etc)

steam or boil peppers(whole) and carrots(sliced) until carrots are soft.(if using other veggies, now is the time to add them. slice or chop to reduce size as needed) and then strain the water out.

decap the peppers(ie-remove stem) if you want a milder sauce, use a butter knife to scrape out the seeds and placenta/veins. if you want max heat, skip the butter knife.

once decapped, use a blender or food processor to pulverize the carrots(and/or other veggies) and peppers into a mash(depending on volume, this may take several batches)

after turning the peppers and carrots to mush, it's time to make the sauce

put some of the mash into a blender and then add the onion powder, salt, vinegar and any other desired flavorings

start on the lower/coarser settings and work your way up to the higher/finer settings until you get your desired consistency

once you reach your desired consistency, portion out into containers(if you want just the liquid, use a fine mesh strainer and cheese cloth to filter out any solids). repeat until done.

store in refrigerator until ready for use(the salt and vinegar will act as natural preservatives, but it won't hold forever before spoiling. I don't make large batches and use frequently, so I can't say how long it'll be before spoiling)

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
OP if you hunt, especially for birds try making poppers with them. I usually make duck poppers and they turn out great, even with hotter jalapeños.
Directions:
Cut the jalapeño in half the length of the pepper. You'll have two "canoe" like pieces, remove the seed and fill with cream cheese. Then take your meat of choice, preferably cut to match the size of the jalapeño and about 1/4-1/2" thick. Place that on the cream cheese filled jalapeño and wrap with a piece of bacon. Use toothpicks to hold it together if needed. Throw them on the grill and cook times vary depending on your choice of meat. Generally for waterfowl once the bacon is crispy the duck/goose is a perfect medium rare.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a pepper rack on Amazon to grill japs this summer.  Cut off the top, stuff with blue cheese and bacon bits.  Put the rack on the grill and serve when done.  Awesome.  You can clean out the japs or leave the seeds and guts in for heat.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Oven on 350 Get a sheet pan, and a rack that sits on top of the sheet pan if you have one. These things cook better if the air in the oven cooks all around them, like on a rack over a sheet pan, and not directly on a rack... but it's not necessary.

Cut about 12 of them in half. Take a spoon, anchor it in to the stem side, and push hard to "shave' the innards out of each half. set aside.

Cut a pound of thin cut bacon strips in half. set aside

Brown chorizo in a pan with one small diced red onion. I use like 12 oz of chorizo,  or two smallish chubs. I've not made this using links, so adjust if that is your meat source. After cooking add 1 t cocoa powder, and 1/4 t cinnamon. (optional.) Let this cool, set aside.

In another bowl mix up a block and a half of cream cheese, a half a cup of parmigan cheese, juice of a lime and salt and pepper.

To assemble: 2/1 ratio of cheese to chorizo mixture in the peppers. I do cheese first, make a well in the cheese and add the chorizo on top. You will probably find a better way. Wrap the pepper in a half a strip of bacon, and make that tight. put on the rack on the pan, or just on the pan. Cook for 30 minutes, then turn the oven to broil and let them spend the last 5 minutes getting char on the top shelf. watch carefully during this stage.

Friggin good.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I pickle all of my jalapeño and serrano chilis. I sun dry the thinner fleshed varieties.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Infused Vodka comes to mind....
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:08:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Infused Vodka comes to mind....
View Quote

Damn that sounds awful.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Jalepeno Candy. I have a recipe request thread a couple pages down (only been a couple months I think).
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
and if you're processing a bunch of them, wear disposable gloves. Your eyeballs and nads will thank you later.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Is that your picture? I can't get my candied jalepenos to come out crisp, they are shriveled and mushy... Still delicious but the texture isn't what I would prefer... The jalepenos in your picture look a little more crisp in the jars.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is that your picture? I can't get my candied jalepenos to come out crisp, they are shriveled and mushy... Still delicious but the texture isn't what I would prefer... The jalepenos in your picture look a little more crisp in the jars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not my picture.  

Mine did not turn out crisp but they were definitely not mushy.  They were closer to crisp than mushy.  Maybe cook them a little less?

That recipe calls for boiling the peppers for only 4 minutes.

Recipe
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I take the seeds out and grill them on direct heat to char them up. Takes some of the heat out and they are killer on burgers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Roast directly over a gas burner until all of the skin is charred black.
Wash charred skin off.
Add a little salt and enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I take the seeds out and grill them on direct heat to char them up. Takes some of the heat out and they are killer on burgers.
View Quote

I like to smoke them in a smoker, doing that, very tasty.
You can freeze them after smoking,  put in a Tupperware and just thaw out, still taste fresh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top