Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 11:27:06 PM EDT
Everyone seems to have their methods. Some recommend a dry burn (to remove machining oils and anything else unwanted) the first time, followed by an oil soaked burn the second time. The manufacturer says to cure it right off and mentions nothing about the dry burn. Some guys like to burn animal fat on their first burn..... What method do you use with a new smoker/grill?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I just started a good fire in it with charcoal and let it get nice and hot for an hour or so then lowered the the temp to about 300 and let it burn for a few hours... Then in the evening added new charcoal, some apple wood, the water bowl, and some chicken and had the first meal on it.... Speaking to my WSM
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I load the firebox up burn it hot for an hr, then drop it to 325F(were I cook everything) and toss a few pork butts on and call it a day. Plenty of fat on a pork butt  to season any smoker :) good luck and enjoy!

Clint
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Both good suggestions...
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I've got it cured now. It smells so damn good inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top