Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 9:11:36 PM EDT
So I got a vision kamado this summer, done a bunch of pork, wings and steaks so far with great results.
 Just got my diffuser stone/rack/drip tray from the ceramic grill store and have not used it yet.
I'm gonna get this thing going early and let the new parts season for an hour before the bird goes in.
16# bird is brining now.     How many hours do I need to allow for if I keep the smoker at 225?
I'll put a remote thermometer in the bird to minimize opening the lid.
 Think I'll need to add fuel halfway thru?  I have lump charcoal and mesquite chunks.

The 250.00 vision...should have bought them all at that price.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You should not have to add either fuel or wood, if you do it right. My Akorn will hold 225 for 24 hours without need for replenishing the fuel.

I'd recommend against mesquite for turkey. Mesquite is way too powerful a flavor for turkey.

If all you have is mesquite, I'd counsel skipping the wooid and using your Vision as a charcoal-fired oven. Cook the turkey as you would in your regular oven.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should not have to add either fuel or wood, if you do it right. My Akorn will hold 225 for 24 hours without need for replenishing the fuel.

I'd recommend against mesquite for turkey. Mesquite is way too powerful a flavor for turkey.

If all you have is mesquite, I'd counsel skipping the wooid and using your Vision as a charcoal-fired oven. Cook the turkey as you would in your regular oven.
View Quote

I wondered about the mesquite.  The fire will be mostly charcoal, but I have some applewood.
Last time I did a turkey on my new braunfels smoker with apple it turned out black, I mean like glossy black.
The meat was killer good though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Google "mad max Turkey".  It's hosted on the Naked Whiz's site.

Go easy on the smoke, a turkey will suck it up like a sponge.  It's really easy to over do it.  Stay away from hickory & mesquite, stick with the fruit wood and not much of it.

Edit:  Here's the link, I was on my phone before:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google "mad max Turkey".  It's hosted on the Naked Whiz's site.

Go easy on the smoke, a turkey will suck it up like a sponge.  It's really easy to over do it.  Stay away from hickory & mesquite, stick with the fruit wood and not much of it.

Edit:  Here's the link, I was on my phone before:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
View Quote

Thank you for that.  Lots of good info there.   Happy Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The Kamado killed it.  Best bird ever.  Sorry, no pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top