Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2014 1:18:52 PM EDT
OK, how do I cook it?  Just add water, veggies and slow cook it?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Put in pot, cover with water, simmer about an hr per pound
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Corned beef is very hard to over cook, very easy to under cook.

You know its done when it falls apart when you try to pick it up with a fork.  Lots of folks don't cook it long enough which gives corned beef a bad rap.

I put mine on high in the slow cooker for around 6 to 8 hours.  After its done I pour off the juice from it and boil carrots, quartered small potatoes and with cabbage until done.

Good Eatin'!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Rinse it before you start to cook it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, get a Reynolds box of "oven bags". You can find them in the area they sell foil at whatever store you have there. Read the directions in the box. I have learned, over many briskets, if you boil it you lose alot of flavor. Baking it is way better, alot more flavor.
Just made one yesterday. Snacking on the leftovers right now. Bake - don't boil.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Or cover it in peppercorn and coriander and smoke that bad boy for a strami
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I do this and finish it up in the oven with a glazing made up of orange marmalade and a bit of mustard and ketchup.  In oven at about 375 till the glazing is done.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, get a Reynolds box of "oven bags". You can find them in the area they sell foil at whatever store you have there. Read the directions in the box. I have learned, over many briskets, if you boil it you lose alot of flavor. Baking it is way better, alot more flavor.
Just made one yesterday. Snacking on the leftovers right now. Bake - don't boil.
View Quote

Do have bags on hand.  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
I will try that next time instead of boiling.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:43:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or cover it in peppercorn and coriander and smoke that bad boy for a strami
View Quote

Hell yeah!

ETA. If your going to boil it, toss a couple teaspoons each of pickling spice and crushed garlic into the pot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I do this and finish it up in the oven with a glazing made up of orange marmalade and a bit of mustard and ketchup.  In oven at about 375 till the glazing is done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do this, too, but use a prepared mustard/brown sugar glaze (be generous), and baste it with ginger ale. Usually an hour in the oven after boiling.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Wife cooked it in a NESCO.  Splash of soy, worcestershire sauce and carmelized onions.  Sure was melt in your mouth good.  Low and slow for 3/4 hours.  Started it while I ran an errand so I am not really sure of the time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rinse it before you start to cook it.
View Quote

THIS - most will not need any additional salt.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm willing to give the oven a try but are you sure this work for pre-packaged corned beef?

The solution is salty.  I thought boiling in water helped the salt balance out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
New England Boiled Dinner FTW!!!!!

Now that's comfort food!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, The cooking bag is the way to go. I don't rinse mine, put the juice in, and throw some baby carrots, potato chunks, celery, the spice packet, and have never looked back.
You want flavor, this is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm willing to give the oven a try but are you sure this work for pre-packaged corned beef?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will work. Boiling takes the flavor out. Get the bags and go with it. I have done MANY and this is the way to go. If you are worried about the salt you can rinse it but I don't and my corned beef just seems to disappear when I make one. This is a pre packaged corned beef brisket. Toss some baby carrots, potato chunks, celery in there and you are good to go.
Once you bake one, you won't go back to boiling.  

Sorry for repeating myself, I have drain bramage, but I can cook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top