Sweet Potatoes casserole  
Baked red potatoes

Homemade Desserts:

Pecan Pie
Apple Pie
Ricotta cheesecake
Varies fruits
Homemade lemon cello

Feel free to share some of your Pecan, Apple, or cheesecake recipes.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I normally brine and smoke chickens and a turkey. I may forgo the Turkey as the Chicken ALWAYS gets eaten way before the Turkey. I make a Anodoulle cornbread dressing, greenbean cassarole, Giblet Gravy. I may pick up a country ham, I grew up eating Smithfield hams and never knew there was any other until later in life lol. Collard Greens withTasso.

Baked Sweet potatos, Deep dish baked mac and cheese and deviled eggs are my wife's specialites, as are Pecan Pie, sweet potato pie.

I'll give you a good NY cheesecake recipe tonight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I normally brine and smoke chickens and a turkey. I may forgo the Turkey as the Chicken ALWAYS gets eaten way before the Turkey. I make a Anodoulle cornbread dressing, greenbean cassarole, Giblet Gravy. I may pick up a country ham, I grew up eating Smithfield hams and never knew there was any other until later in life lol. Collard Greens withTasso.

Baked Sweet potatos, Deep dish baked mac and cheese and deviled eggs are my wife's specialites, as are Pecan Pie, sweet potato pie.

I'll give you a good NY cheesecake recipe tonight.
View Quote

Sounds fantastic, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Bringing these to family event:

Butternut squash bisque
Pumpkin pie with pecan bourbon syrup and cinnamon whipped cream
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:51:48 AM EDT
[#4]
So it looks like I'll be the station cook (EMS) for Thanksgiving, cooking for two crews, four people total unless anyone invites their significant other.  Also just found out that one of them is a vegetarian.

So my question is, since probably only 3 of us will be eating turkey, should I just go with a whole breast instead of a whole turkey?  I'm figuring about 7-8 pounds would give more than enough in case anyone else does show up.

Second question, has anyone ever done turkey or turkey breast in a slow cooker?  I don't have a big turkey fryer, and my regular fryer probably isn't big enough.  There's only one oven, which I'll be needing for a vegetarian green bean casserole or sweet potato casserole, and some lentil cakes from a recipe that I found.  All in addition to the dressing (one guy said his stuffing had to come out of a box or he couldn't eat it ), garlic mashed potatoes and Waldorf salad.  Plus both vegetarian and giblet gravies.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So it looks like I'll be the station cook (EMS) for Thanksgiving, cooking for two crews, four people total unless anyone invites their significant other.  Also just found out that one of them is a vegetarian.

So my question is, since probably only 3 of us will be eating turkey, should I just go with a whole breast instead of a whole turkey?  I'm figuring about 7-8 pounds would give more than enough in case anyone else does show up.

Second question, has anyone ever done turkey or turkey breast in a slow cooker?  I don't have a big turkey fryer, and my regular fryer probably isn't big enough.  There's only one oven, which I'll be needing for a vegetarian green bean casserole or sweet potato casserole, and some lentil cakes from a recipe that I found.  All in addition to the dressing (one guy said his stuffing had to come out of a box or he couldn't eat it ), garlic mashed potatoes and Waldorf salad.  Plus both vegetarian and giblet gravies.
View Quote
Ask around if anyone has an electric roaster or buy a small one they are less than $40.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look for a Butterball Turkey Roast.  Has white and dark meat.  I brine them and smoke them.  Really good when you only have a few people.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Turkeys, 2 - deep fried
Cornbread w/ sausage stuffing
Mashed potatoes (real thing)
Green beans
Corn
Sweet Potatoes with apples and walnuts
Crescent rolls
Cranberry sauce (whole berries)
Gravy

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie

Wyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Dogfish IPA
Hot, spice apple wine
Cabernet Sauvignon
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Turkeys, 2 - deep fried
Cornbread w/ sausage stuffing
Mashed potatoes (real thing)
Green beans
Corn
Sweet Potatoes with apples and walnuts
Crescent rolls
Cranberry sauce (whole berries)
Gravy

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie

Wyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Dogfish IPA
Hot, spice apple wine
Cabernet Sauvignon
View Quote

Now that sounds very nice! I see you enjoy Dogfish IPA? Every try Yards Brawler? It's a very good beer.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm planning on making:

Smoked turkey
Brussels sprouts with bacon, onions, and apples
Mashed sweet potatoes
Pumpkin pie (made from sugar pie pumpkins, no cans this year).

Other family members will be making non-paleo things.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Turkey
Cornbread dressing
Baked sweet potatoes and apples
Brussels sprouts and bacon
Gravy
Rolls

Assorted pies
Pumpkin
Mince meat
Blueberry
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I only need three things:
Turkey
Dressing
Gravy

Oh - and a straw for the gravy.
View Quote

If you can drink your gravy through a straw it's not thick enough
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top