Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 5:07:13 PM EDT
Hi All,

I've had what I consider a great clam chowder recipe given to me decades ago by an old New York clammer and I've always loved it.  However, my wife is deathly allergic to clams but really loves mussels.  

So, my question for you is whether I can straight up swap the mussels in palce of the clams, or is there something I'm missing?  Do any of you have any thoughts on whether a simple switch is possible?  

My main concern is the extra clam broth added... I was thinking of using the steamed mussel broth as a substitute.

Thanks,

-Coop
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
go for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you post the recipe so we could enjoy it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Mussels take less time to cook than clams, for that reason, I'd not add the mussels into the chowder too soon.  

Cooking the mussels too long will result in a tougher texture.

If it's flavor of the mussel you want by incorporating it into the chowder at the start, mince one or two up and start it with the bacon, or fat back, potatoes and onion, reserve the others until later.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I would make a flavorful court-bouillon and poach not steam the mussels strain and reserve. This will give you the broth to use for the body of the chowder. Steaming may yield a tough product. Slowly poaching will give a tender final product.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Post the recipe for us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top