Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 2:47:33 AM EDT
I'm trying to get as close to an all-cast iron kitchen as I can, or at least get rid of the made in China T-Fal teflon crap. The only trouble I'm having is finding a suitable replacement for a saucepan. I've tried the smaller lodge dutch ovens and they work alright, but they seem to rust very easily after use. It seems like the seasoning doesn't build up like it does on everything else. I've tried to oven bake a few layers of seasoning but it seems to come right off after making something.  

I've looked at the porcelain Lodge offerings, but I'm worried about them chipping if I use them for saucepan duties. And they're cast here but finished in China

Are there any good stainless USA pots? What are you guys using?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I love cast iron, but the issues you describe are why most of my cooking anymore happens in stainless steel pots and pans.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I know they are pricey, but what about Le Creuset? They have enameled cast iron that looks nice. I've not used any of their offerings due to cost but if you were motivated..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I use Cephalon stainless steel pots and pans from Target for my non-cast iron non-"nonstick" needs.

You need a variety of types of pans with a variety of surfaces.

Teflon coating has it's place.

Stainless steel saucepans have their place.

Cast iron skillets and dutch ovens have their place.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The only trouble I'm having is finding a suitable replacement for a saucepan. I've tried the smaller lodge dutch ovens and they work alright, but they seem to rust very easily after use. It seems like the seasoning doesn't build up like it does on everything else. I've tried to oven bake a few layers of seasoning but it seems to come right off after making something.  
View Quote

I'm going to take a widl leap and assume you are using your sauce pans for sauces? If so you should now that Ci doesn't do well with tomato based sauces because of the acidity of the tomato's

Quoted:I've looked at the porcelain Lodge offerings, but I'm worried about them chipping if I use them for saucepan duties. And they're cast here but finished in China
View Quote

For quality enameled CI, you have to look to the French (Le Creuset, Staub, etc.)

Quoted:
Are there any good stainless USA pots?
View Quote

All-Clad comes to mind
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
When I get the spare money this is my plan.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a  3QT Cast Iron sauce pot. We used SS if we need non-reacting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
All clad has the rep but tramontina is not bad at all for the price
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagging for interest. I cook almost exclusively with cast iron but still have to use non stick saucepans every once in a while
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I can stick with the teflon stuff, it does make clean up much easier.

I think I'm going to go with something like this for now, at least it's made in the USA.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Once you get cooking with stainless steel for a while you learn how to make it non-stick.  You can cook things like grilled cheese, pancakes, and scrambles eggs in stainless no problem, just have to have the right touch.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#12]
cast is pretty much the way I roll. got a few decent SS pots and skillets. NO use for aluminum in this house.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once you get cooking with stainless steel for a while you learn how to make it non-stick.  You can cook things like grilled cheese, pancakes, and scrambles eggs in stainless no problem, just have to have the right touch.
View Quote

dang. ain't never mastered stainless cookware. got some decent stuff in SS though
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Have fun with the copper poisoning. Copper cookware MUST be lined - historically with tin, but some modern stuff has SS lining.  the only exception is a bowl for beating egg whites.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have fun with the copper poisoning. Copper cookware MUST be lined - historically with tin, but some modern stuff has SS lining.  the only exception is a bowl for beating egg whites.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

'

looks good. dang been on cast stuff forever. OP might be young......easy change-over
yea my copper is out.......stainless or tin inside......I just don't care for it it was about a $275.00 set about 15 years back. I have to roll with cast
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#16]
lord knows LODGE owns my old ass all mine is USA made. that red enameled cast pot was made in france. bought at a yard sale for 3 buck's.....dang good pot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top