Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 8:03:02 AM EDT
When I was a kid my neighbor was a 90 year old Italian lady.  Born in the 1800's in Italy, She crossed through Ellis Island and was a 14 year old first grader here in Dover, NH.

She made some excellent dishes but the one I can still taste and remember was her ravioli.

They were large half circle meat ravioli and the best I've ever had in my life.  At the time I was just a little kid 7-8 years old, otherwise I would have copied down the recipe.

I've been thinking about them more and more lately and as my palate has become more distinguished with age I'm starting to envision what some of the ingredients must have been.

Not sure if they were just ground beef, or if they had some ground sausage in them but I'm going to attempt to re-create these.  I know now that I remember tasting sage and probably oregano.

This Friday I'm on a mission.

Damn, it's only 8:00 and I'm starving
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
My late great-aunts pigeons, aka stuffed cabbage. She passed about 10 years ago, maybe more. When we went to see her, she'd say something about sorry she didn't cook and she would pull something out of the freezer. That something was one of the greatest freaking dishes ever.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When I was a kid my neighbor was a 90 year old Italian lady.  Born in the 1800's in Italy, She crossed through Ellis Island and was a 14 year old first grader here in Dover, NH.

She made some excellent dishes but the one I can still taste and remember was her ravioli.

They were large half circle meat ravioli and the best I've ever had in my life.  At the time I was just a little kid 7-8 years old, otherwise I would have copied down the recipe.

I've been thinking about them more and more lately and as my palate has become more distinguished with age I'm starting to envision what some of the ingredients must have been.

Not sure if they were just ground beef, or if they had some ground sausage in them but I'm going to attempt to re-create these.  I know now that I remember tasting sage and probably oregano.

View Quote

Ixnay on the sage, but do add some finely chopped spinach and the tiniest bit of ground cloves.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ixnay on the sage, but do add some finely chopped spinach and the tiniest bit of ground cloves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I'm trying to re-create her recipe and there was no spinach and I'm damn sure there was sage, so.......
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a 16oz bone-in filet smothered in a lobster cream sauce that was possibly the most delicious thing that has ever passed my lips.  It was so tender that you could cut it with a spoon.  I ate it in very small morsels.

It was a $1000 dinner.  I was treated by a VERY generous acquaintance.

I don't think I'll ever taste that again and I'll never forget the experience.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, where to start?  No matter.  I can't eat anything with wheat, barley, etc. as I have Celiac.

It isn't that bad, but sometimes you remember what real French or sourdough bread was like out of the oven.

Going to a brewpub is an exercise in self control.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds minor, but i lived in Bahrain for year. I was constantly eating dragonfruit and mangosteen. Because of import bans from pest neither can be brought here. I really miss my snacks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow, where to start?  No matter.  I can't eat anything with wheat, barley, etc. as I have Celiac.

It isn't that bad, but sometimes you remember what real French or sourdough bread was like out of the oven.

Going to a brewpub is an exercise in self control.  

View Quote

Wow never thought about beer.  

That sucks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sounds minor, but i lived in Bahrain for year. I was constantly eating dragonfruit and mangosteen. Because of import bans from pest neither can be brought here. I really miss my snacks.
View Quote
I find both of those locally at a Vietnamese grocery.  My brother's wife is originally from Vietnam.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#9]
My German great Aunt's potato salad.... no one has the receipe, she would be like 120 if she was still alive
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Assyrian style dolmas with lemon crispy greens at the bottom.

Not gonna be many Assyrians left if ISIS gets its way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I find both of those locally at a Vietnamese grocery.  My brother's wife is originally from Vietnam.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking ADORE mangosteen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Raw yellow fin tuna that I caught just hours before off the coast of Okinawa.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Her name was Heather. She broke up with me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says everyone who ever ate it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Not ever again, but getting far between.  My mother's Swedish meatball dish, she's a Swedish immigrant.  We don't see each other as much but I still insist she cook them for me.  I have the recipe and she has deemed my cooking acceptable, but it's never the same.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not sure if they were just ground beef, or if they had some ground sausage in them but I'm going to attempt to re-create these. ..  
View Quote

Try adding 1 medium eggplant (peeled, fried with garlic and olive oil, then mashed) to 1.5 lb of beef / pork  (70/30 mix) and your other ingredients.   A friend's mom owns an Italian deli, she adds cooked eggplant into her meatballs.  Absolutely delicious.

I miss the dinner my "nana" used to cook for my birthday.  Pot roast with the potatoes, onions, carrots  all cooked to perfection with green beans and homemade gravy topped off with 2 slices of her blueberry pie.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
my grandma's treats. I know it's vague, but there were so many. my dad's parents were both gone way before I came to be. so I only knew my mom's parents. my grandma(mom's mom obviously) would cook and bake and send us treats regularly. when we'd go to visit, she'd pull out frozen treats(store bought and home made) for me and my sister on top of the usual cooking she did and baked treats. my mom has used grandma's recipes to recreate her treats, but somehow, they just aren't the same. might be all in my head, but grandma's treats were better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#18]
It's safe to say I will never eat a steak at William B's at the Stardust again.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

No matter what you do - it'll never be "right" or the same ;o)

I miss my grandmother's fudge (even though I can't eat chocolate - weird, I know). She taught me how to bake / make candy, etc. I have her recipes for various things and I'm pretty good at baking / cooking, etc, but they never turn out as good as hers :o( Same though with my mother's recipes - never turn out as good as how my mom made them. I don't know if it's the nostalgia that's missing as a key ingredient or just them :o) Probably both.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My German great Aunt's potato salad.... no one has the receipe, she would be like 120 if she was still alive
View Quote

My mothers potato salad.    As a kid I would bitch and moan about having to help her make it, but it was the best.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#21]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squilla_mantis

Really tasty, ate a bunch of them in china.

I also tried gou ròu/dog when I was there - I wouldn't recommend it.  Tastes like extremely pungent mutton or lamb which is also extremely tough and hard to chew.  

Since I won't be going back, I don't think I'll get to try those two things again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was stationed in San Diego there was a brand of locally-made tortilla chips. "Taco Diego". They were lightly dusted with salt and red chile powder.

Just awesome and have never had anything like them since. Internet searches reveal nada.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  We seriously need to make a GMO Mangosteen tree that can live in temperate regions or at least in Florida.  

Now back to things we'll never get to eat again.

Do Dutch girls count?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
True.  We seriously need to make a GMO Mangosteen tree that can live in temperate regions or at least in Florida.  

Do Dutch girls count?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do Dutch girls count?  

Only if they've eaten Mangosteens ...

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Her name was Heather. She broke up with me.
View Quote

Uhhh yeah, I was going to go there to, but you beat me to it, so it's yours.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Monkey on a stick.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do Dutch girls count?  

Mangosteen as a topping......Interesting direction this thread seems to be going.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a favorite restaurant in Angeles City whose shrimp scampi was simply incredible.  

The place has been closed for years and I'll never go back to Angeles City, so it's pretty much gauranteed that I'll never have it again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#29]
whatever meat on a stick they serve from a hibachi on the back of a bicycles in Thailand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Mangosteen as a topping......Interesting direction this thread seems to be going.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do Dutch girls count?  

Don't look at me, man - you started it :-P

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I had a favorite restaurant in Angeles City whose shrimp scampi was simply incredible.  

The place has been closed for years and I'll never go back to Angeles City, so it's pretty much gauranteed that I'll never have it again.
View Quote

My husband and I went to The Old Original Bookbinder's several years ago - man, that place was outstanding - The food and service! And they did a PB Cream Pie like no one else :o( I still miss it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top