Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2014 3:58:23 AM EDT
I've been wanting to come up with some simple snacks and meals for work that are healthy.
Canned items or stuff that does not need refridgeration are a must.
Tired of spending money on junk out of the break room machines.
On the tuna, I've read it is good protein, but every can I looked at has soy.
I've been told that men need to avoid soy as it is bad for testosterone, especially if you are getting older.
Anyone have suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nuts are good, but watch how many you eat. They have a lot of fat. My current 2 favorites are Planter's Healthy Heart Mix and Emerald Cinnamon Roasted Almonds.

Fresh fruit. If you don't like dripping fruit juice when you eat, cut it up at home into a baggie and eat it with a fork.

Smart Fries and Pop Rings are science in a bag, but taste delicious.

Do you have access to a microwave? If so, low-fat popcorn. Also yummy is canned peaches topped with granola cereal and then microwaved for about 10 seconds - tastes kind of like peach cobbler.

Muffins. Pay close attention to the sugar content - some are worse than candybars. I make my own, with whole-wheat flour and limited sugar, and freeze them 2 per baggie. Grab-and-go, and they're (usually) thawed by mid-afternoon when I want them.

Dry cereal.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If you like coconut, you can make these.
http://www.ovcrossfit.com/blog/entry/snackaroons
Shouldn't require refrigeration, as its the same thing that laughing giraffe sells, same ingredients and making them yourself is significantly cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Hummus and a side of vegetables. Rice and grilled chicken (just put it in a cooler bag with a couple ice packs). Vegetable wraps. Fruits, your options are only limited by your imagination...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Canned chunk chicken is much beta than tuna
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Raw nuts are better than cooked. Lots of folks turn their nose up to boiled peanuts but have a lot of good stuff in them
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

On the tuna, I've read it is good protein, but every can I looked at has soy.
I've been told that men need to avoid soy as it is bad for testosterone, especially if you are getting older.
Anyone have suggestions?
View Quote

I really enjoyed the taste of Starkist's Yellowfin tuna packed in olive oil.  I haven't had it in several months because the local grocery stopped stocking it but I don't remember reading soy on the label.  The omega-3s  are good for us old farts too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the tuna in a bag with water in stead of oil. Open pouch, dice up a pickle and squirt some
creole mustard in. Mix it all up and just eat it out the pouch. You can add some diced onions too.
When I need something for lunch quick this is what I fix.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Sardines.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Peanut butter and various things to dip in it: apples, bananas, pretzels... I eat natural PB (with no added sugar), and it's delicious with the fruit. For the pretzels, I scoop some into another bowl and mix in a little honey.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a $45 dehydrator at walmart and make your own jerky, dried fruit.

I use eye of round roast, cut with grain, it is very lean and a $15 roast will make a lot of jerky.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Canned chunk chicken is much beta than tuna
View Quote

Yup... And get creative.

Canned chucked chicken breast, tablespoon pine nuts, black pepper, tablespoon of mustard and a chopped dill pickle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Go with Tonno tuna.  It's yellowfin packed in olive oil.  There are several brands and it's usually $2-3 a can.  Here is a pretty good recipe that uses it.  If you need it make it on-the-fly, you could buy one of those mini cans of beans and skip the delicate herbs or use dry herbs.  The kale will last the day unless you leave it in a hot car.  Throw the kale and pre-mixed seasonings / dressing into a zipper bag and mush it around to tenderize.  Then add the stuff you don't want mushed.
http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/lemony-garbanzo-kale-salad-with-tuna-for-sundaysupper/

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go with Tonno tuna.  It's yellowfin packed in olive oil.  There are several brands and it's usually $2-3 a can.  Here is a pretty good recipe that uses it.  If you need it make it on-the-fly, you could buy one of those mini cans of beans and skip the delicate herbs or use dry herbs.  The kale will last the day unless you leave it in a hot car.  Throw the kale and pre-mixed seasonings / dressing into a zipper bag and mush it around to tenderize.  Then add the stuff you don't want mushed.
http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/lemony-garbanzo-kale-salad-with-tuna-for-sundaysupper/

https://www.gloriosos.com/userimages/products/genova-tonno-solid-light-oliveoil.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for that tip  5 oz cans are only a 1.80 each for two dozen @t Amazon with free shipping if you have a  prime account.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been making homemade no-bake energy bars. They are pretty good, but still goofing with the recipe. The original recipe called for high$$ organic super duper stuff. I am trying to tighten it up a bit as it was pretty soft. I also want to add toasted quinoa and unsweetened coconut.
1 cup coconut oil peanut butter or Almond/cashew/pistachio butter
2 cups organic rolled oats
1/2 cup high % dark chocolate chips or use a bar and pulse in food processor
1/2 cup pumkin shelled seed or sunflower seeds
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup chopped cashews
1/2 cup dried cranberry or blueberry
1/2 cup honey
3T flax seed flour

Mix in bowl by hand or I use my kitchen aid with dough hook. Roll out onto sheet pan lined with parchment paper or use teflon coated pan about 1/4" thick. Refridgerate or freeze until set. Divide into bars and wrap with plastic and keep in fridge.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Avacado
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
If you hate your coworkers canned tuna is an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]

For snacks, carrots, celery and cauliflower

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top