Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 7:38:03 PM EDT
So I came outside this morning and found what I believe to be a immature puff ball mushroom. I remember  eating these all the time in upstate New York but cant remember what they look like. So far all the pictures I found point that this is what it is and it smells like a mushroom but not overpowering and I cannot find any for producing Gills which is a main characteristic of puffballs mushrooms. What do you guys think? By the way, I'm a resident of northern ky and this was found in the middle of my yard'. Not on a tree or anything.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rogersmushrooms.com%2F&ei=TYX2U8kjqP7wAZKXgaAF&usg=AFQjCNECyaGN2oeBOaiScvKe9usYXLBAew&sig2=pwE-eDuPah5PAF_RLtIP8g
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I emailed a mycologist I found online, and was told that 100% without a doubt its a calvatia cythaformis, or purple puffball mushroom. Hopefully In can find more close by.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be. I would even say probably is, but unless you know exactly what you're doing, don't eat it. Immature puffballs can look like amanitas which are deadly. Get a good book and study it. Go out with shroomers that know what they are doing. The consequences can be death or failed liver, kidneys, etc for life.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Just be absofuckinglutely sure there aren't any gills in there.  Juvie Amanitas Look a lot like puffballs and they're pertty good at killin'folks from what I hear.ETA,  What he said.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Aminita are called the angel of death.
Basically molecules enter the blood and wreck the Glomerulus & Bowmans capsule within the kidneys....

Ahh nevermind but you die horribly and slowly.  You poison yourself over a long time.  Last I heard no cure.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top