Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2014 8:47:25 PM EDT
Dear arfcom culinary experts,

I need to equip my new kitchen so that I may prepare tasty, healthy, and economical meals in order to balance the budget and enhance my quality of life.

In my youth, I worked as a short order cook for a few years, I am comfortable in the kitchen.  However, I have dined out almost exclusively for too long to remember

So... What are the basic kitchen tools you'd suggest I pick up?

Again, starting from scratch.  Wait... damn
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats alot of crap

Off the top of my head-

Clad skillet, cast iron skillet, non stick skillet 10 or 12 inch

Smaller pots, large heavy oven proof cast pot, thinner pot for boiling water and the stuff that goes in it, like eggs

tongs, spatulas, wooden cooking implements, big cooking ladel

good chef knife, good paring knife, cutting board or cheap cutting mats, pepper mill

prolly missing some of the basics, dont worry about anything fancy until you have a need for it
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I would start with Alton Brown's Gear for your Kitchen book. While he does make specific brand and model recommendations the majority of it is letting you know what features and qualities you should consider in buying kitchen gear.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
hand-held cheese grater

whisks - small and large

measuring utensils: glass liquid measuring cups, stainless dry-goods measuring cups, stainless measuring spoons

9x13 oven-safe glass casserole dish

stainless or glass mixing bowls - ones with handles and pour spouts are best

pot holders and trivets

I'll probably think of more later.

ETA: if you don't mind used, the utensils, spoons, and measuring stuff that doesn't need to be great quality can be found cheaply at thrift stores.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Very basic, stuff I use at least once a week:

Full knife set

garlic press

can opener

cutting board

tupperware for food storage

measuring cups

measuring spoons

food scale

coffee grinder for whole spices

tongs

silicon spatula

saucepans with steaming baskets

6" non stick frying pan

9" non stick frying pan

12" non stick frying pan

dutch oven

serving spoon

slotted serving spoon

First thing to buy once you have all that:

Kitchenaid food processor

Next thing:

Nutribullet (I am about to throw my blender away)

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Since I bought one a year ago, I've used my slow cooker at least once a week.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I highly recommend a rice cooker. It does multiple things besides cook rice. Slow cooker, steamer, browning meats, I use it several times a week. I bought mine at Costco $30.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Working on my list with you greatly appreciated help!

In the mean time , I had to cook some pork chops

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Digital electric pressure cooker.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/vla_station_5/F9276B9A-4F36-4C73-9401-128640370A2E_zpsad2towrk.jpg
View Quote
Get a good broiler pan. I've never fried porkchops in butter...an only in oil if they're breaded and I'm going to make cream gravy.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/vla_station_5/F9276B9A-4F36-4C73-9401-128640370A2E_zpsad2towrk.jpg
View Quote

Well. At least you seasoned them, thats good.

First purchase you need is the first couple seasons of Good Eats and Americas Test Kitchen. They both have good recipes and explain things well. You can note what equipment they use and pick it up and build up your kitchen gear that way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Get some knives.

Shuns are nice.

Wusthof for the more budget conscious.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

First purchase you need is the first couple seasons of Good Eats and Americas Test Kitchen. They both have good recipes and explain things well. You can note what equipment they use and pick it up and build up your kitchen gear that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They came out very good.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Couldn't exist without my Kitchenaid mixer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, I left out:

-Stop watch

-Fluke infrared thermometer

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Whatever you do, buy commercial grade equipment. 99% of it will last a lifetime so you won't need to replace it a few years down the line. Add to that the fact that it's about the same cost, or cheaper than 'Suzy Homemaker' grade gear and it's a win-win.

There are several online sources and most larger towns have a commercial restaurant supply house where you can go and buy quality smallwares.

Try these:

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nutribullet (I am about to throw my blender away)

View Quote

My father in law has a Nutribullet....another family member has a Vitamix.  I'll be going with the Vitamix.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#17]
The recommended chef's knife from Cooks Illustrated is the Victornox Fibrox chef's knife.  It keeps winning their equipment evaluation tests for chef's knives, and it's only $30-$40 bucks.  I ordered one last week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top