Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2014 8:42:07 PM EDT

Usually toss on a couple of the store bought seasonings and its really not too bad.
Some really suck as it seems like I am eating the steak after it fell on the ground and pickup a bunch of grit.

Recently I started taking it to the next level and pan searing my steaks and there was a nice improvement.
Looking to take it further by upgrading the seasonings and would be interested to read what works for you.

In case the cuts of meat matter, I mostly cook using NY strip but will also do Porterhouse steaks at time so if there is something different you might do for the tenderloin let me know.
I will continue to pan sear but my wife will still be cooking hers on the grill just in case they type of rub matters in different scenarios.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a secret rub. But I'll share with arfcom. Love you guys!

Vegetable Oil rub
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Optional: rubbed with fresh garlic

Eta:
Cooking methods rule when it comes to a great steak.  Try a reverse sear.  Basicly you pop steak in oven @350 until 130 degrees.  Then sear on high heat in a cast iro n skillet.  Let rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple is better, in my opinion.  Salt, pepper, and garlic granules.  

Sometimes, I'll add a bit of basil and oregano.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Vegetable Oil rub
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

Eta:
Cooking methods rule when it comes to a great steak.  Try a reverse sear.  Basicly you pop steak in oven @350 until 130 degrees.  Then sear on high heat in a cast iro n skillet.  Let rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Vegetable Oil rub
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

Eta:

What does the reverse sear give you that the traditional does not????

Quoted:

Apparently simple is better. I like that. Makes life simple.

Just wondering if this rub is done right before, 10 minutes before overnight.....?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just wondering if this rub is done right before, 10 minutes before overnight.....?
View Quote

I'm sure people have different methods, but I like to do it about two hours before the steaks are put on the fire.  That's just a bit longer than it takes for the meat to come to room temperature.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vegetable Oil rub
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

Eta:

Quoted:

The reverse sear helps prevent the outter portion of the meat being overcooked.  Alton Brown did a special on this method.  Also retains juices better in the steak.

I usually pull steaks out 1-2 hours before cooking.  I oil and season the steaks and let them come up to room temp for that time.  It is basicly marinating and does increase the flavor.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
We make a generic rub we use on wild game, pork and chicken along with the occasional beef steak.

1/4 cup course salt
1/4 cup celery salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup hot smoked paprika
1/8 cup garlic powder
1/8 cup onion powder
1 cup lime pepper
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and grind together in a coffee grinder

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
KISS
1. The best steak you can get your hands on
2. Salt (I like a fairly fine grind distributed evenly)
3. Pepper
4. Attention (i.e., don't overcook it)
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
KISS
1. The best steak you can get your hands on
2. Salt (I like a fairly fine grind distributed evenly)
3. Pepper
(wait 2 hours for it to come up to room temp and let the salt work its magic)
4. Attention (i.e., don't overcook it)
View Quote

Garlic steak
As above but slather steak with a whole head of crushed garlic, scape off all the garlic before cooking, resalt and pepper with less vigor than during round 1 to replace what was scraped away and grill. Finely minced shallots can be used to replace up to 1/2 of the garlic.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm of the salt, pepper and that's it school but if I were to use a rub it would be "Old World Central" from Penzys
Or the spice house in Chicago (also a Penzys store)
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Dillo dust.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone tried coffee????
One rub that I found in a magazine actually incorporated coffee in its rub.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Salt, pepper, and garlic

Otherwise if you prefer to buy something, get some Money
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/rubs/money-7-oz
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's all you need to know:

Salt your steaks up to 12-18 hours before cooking them. Everything else is optional. This will draw out water to hydrate things like dried garlic or herbs or black pepper, whereafter all these things will be drawn back into the steak. This will season the meat far deeper than salting right before tossing on the grill, and the proteins pulled forth will help greatly with Maillard "browning."

If it will be more that about 18 hours before grilling, don't salt them. Wait, and salt them as far in advance of grilling as you can.

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Salt.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm partial to a little Slap ya Mama on my steaks.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Salt, fresh cracked black pepper.... that's all you need... if you feel that your steaks are missing something then it's probably the steak or the cook that is missing. Buy quality steaks, cook them properly, you will be amazed.

I do a reverse sear on thicker cuts, but on anything 1" and thinner a reverse sear doesn't gain you much unless you're cooking on a preheated cast-iron skillet or a dedicated sear burner/sear spot on a grill. Most grills don't get hot enough to do a real sear. For thick cuts (like my 1.75" filets) I go low & slow (225) until the meat hits about 115, then crank the heat and sear both sides to get the browning. Everything in the middle is wonderfully med-rare and the outside is nicely browned. For my normal steaks (1.25" thick) by the time I get the outside browned the inside is a perfect med-rare so I just go straight to the sear stage.

As said, salt quite a while beforehand. This does some wonderful chemical changes at the surface of the meat.

What not to do: Don't listen to anybody that tells you a steak should only be turned one time while grilling. That is pure BS, turn the steak all you like. When I'm searing I turn every 30 seconds or so to ensure I'm getting perfect browning without charring.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Onion powder, mustard powder, coarse sea salt, cracked black pepper, and balsamic vinegar.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#19]
oil, salt

piercing and inserting garlic slivers is pretty good
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Salt, fresh cracked black pepper.... that's all you need... if you feel that your steaks are missing something then it's probably the steak or the cook that is missing. Buy quality steaks, cook them properly, you will be amazed.

I do a reverse sear on thicker cuts, but on anything 1" and thinner a reverse sear doesn't gain you much unless you're cooking on a preheated cast-iron skillet or a dedicated sear burner/sear spot on a grill. Most grills don't get hot enough to do a real sear. For thick cuts (like my 1.75" filets) I go low & slow (225) until the meat hits about 115, then crank the heat and sear both sides to get the browning. Everything in the middle is wonderfully med-rare and the outside is nicely browned. For my normal steaks (1.25" thick) by the time I get the outside browned the inside is a perfect med-rare so I just go straight to the sear stage.

As said, salt quite a while beforehand. This does some wonderful chemical changes at the surface of the meat.

What not to do: Don't listen to anybody that tells you a steak should only be turned one time while grilling. That is pure BS, turn the steak all you like. When I'm searing I turn every 30 seconds or so to ensure I'm getting perfect browning without charring.
View Quote
This man knows.

Lately, I've been sous vide-ing my thick steaks instead of reverse sear, and then tossing a cooling rack right onto the coals and putting the stems directly on that. Amazing. Had some last night.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Not too much but salt and pepper for me but, when they're on the plate, put a pat of butter (about a tablespoon) on them.  Herbed butter works well, but I don't usually have that made ahead of time.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is true.  Why buy a good/expensive steak and obliterate its flavor?  Maybe this is what happens when people destroy their taste buds with all kinds of hot sauces?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Sugar, Salt, Paprika, Chili, Pepper, Celery, Garlic and Comino

brodband8 beat me to it.  I actually prefer my recipe a few posts up to Dillo Dust.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I need to try out some of these.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Salt and Pepper, but I have used Butt Rub on Filet's, and I used to use Montreal Steak.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried coffee????
One rub that I found in a magazine actually incorporated coffee in its rub.
View Quote

I've tried one that is supposedly used by some high end place in California... Coffee, marmite, some other stuff.  Marinate for 2-3 days.  Turned out alright.  

No matter how many times I try different things, I always come back to 60%salt, 40% course black pepper.  Maybe I'll try a smoked pepper on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Can't go wrong as long as you've got a decent steak and keep it simple. Any day you have a steak is a good day. The best ones I made myself were variations of salt+fresh ground black peppercorn (e.g. a little garlic powder and onion powder). Most of the store bought rubs are mediocre, but the Kroger brand steak rub has been my go to rub for a while. It's better than any other rub I've tried.I know it sounds crazy, but don't diss it til you try it. If you're looking to impress your guests,  pick up ribeye or porterhouse, add Kroger rub+a little Worchestershire, and grill over charcoal. When people ask about the rub, tell them that it's made by an old rancher named Melvin who lives a few hours away from one of your relatives in the middle of nowhere and they're kind enough to Fedex you a bottle from time to time. Last part is optional.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top