Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2013 7:47:33 PM EDT
My kid loves hashbrowns.  We've been eating the store bought ones for a while, you know bulk frozen. They turn out pretty good frying them up in the pan and he likes them.

I've been trying to make them from grating potatoes, but they just don't turn out.  They usually turn kind of a nasty gray color, and clump together in the pan.

I suspect there is something I'm missing, like a drying process or some kind of blanching process?

What's your secret for making a raw potato into hash browns?
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Grate, rinse, rinse again and dry them on a clean towel.  Cook each side in butter and a little olive oil till preferred crispiness is attained.  Salt and pepper to taste.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grate, rinse, rinse again and dry them on a clean towel.  Cook each side in butter and a little olive oil till preferred crispiness is attained.  Salt and pepper to taste.
View Quote

Roger that.  I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
if you happen to have a salad spinner, they work well as part of the drying process.  Alton Brown had an episode involving this.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#4]
As you grate them put them in a bowl of cool water to draw out the starch and to keep them from exposure to air (keeps 'em white).  Let them soak for 20 min or so then rinse a few times and dry them as noted above.  Less starch & dry potatoes = crispy & brown.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be willing to bet some of the browning from store bought potatoes comes from sugar added to them.

Maybe in the "draw out the starch" step add some sugar to the water first.

The "make your own McDonalds fries at home" receipes all have the sugar soak step.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks gents, will give it a try.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a blender like  Vitamix or Blendtec, that works much easier than hand grating, and you can also make hash! (the eatin' kind )
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks OP ...
Now I'm hungry for some Waffel House hash browns

Dennys are pretty good to

Need Bacon fix too

Off to the kitchen I go

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Bake them the night before then put in fridge.  Next morning grate them and fry them up.

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I add a tiny bit of onion to mine:

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bake them the night before then put in fridge.  Next morning grate them and fry them up.

View Quote

This guy nailed it
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Frozen shredded potatoes are always better than shredded fresh potatoes in the frying pan.  Too much water in fresh potatoes, and more work, for worse results.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
love BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quoted:
Thanks OP ...
Now I'm hungry for some Waffel House hash browns
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac66/tastychomps/waffle%20house/DSC01527.jpg

Dennys are pretty good to

Need Bacon fix too
http://www.obviouswinner.com/storage/post-images/pile-bacon.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1327945842772

Off to the kitchen I go

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]
simply potatoes (in the green bag) in the cooler section at grocery store is a good choice
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Whatever you do do not cook ahead refrigerate and re-cook that just gives them a nasty starch taste like they have been refrigerated

Basic needs - good russet type potatoes ( not waxy red potatoes )

A good non - stick pan with peanut or veg oil ( heat pan med high heat )
Grate 2-3 potatoes ( quick like bunny ) do this then pat your pile dry - throw a test pinch of taters on if the start to sizzle you got heat right
YOU must get potatoes grated in oil in a short amount of time or they will turn nasty color

I leave it one big cake swirl around pan , salt pepper top that is uncooked , lift the cake up when the side in the pan is golden brown , swirl and flip the whole cake , brown the other side

Don't add sugar
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd be willing to bet some of the browning from store bought potatoes comes from sugar added to them.

Maybe in the "draw out the starch" step add some sugar to the water first.

The "make your own McDonalds fries at home" receipes all have the sugar soak step.
View Quote

The sugar is the key. Soak 1/2- 1 hour in cool water with a couple tbls sugar.

Then rinse again and dry really well.

Then do as stated above.

I like to do a thinner layer of them and not disturb till done on one side. flip and repeat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want consistent, great hashbrows,  do what the restaurants do.

Dehydrated hashbrowns are cheap, last forever on the shelf and cook up fantastic.  This is the brand I use currently.  At a restaurant supply place or a bulk food place (which are all over Utah) they will have dehydrated hashbrowns.   A little soak to rehydrate them and then fry em up with some salt, pepper and onion powder, perfect every time.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My kid loves hashbrowns.  We've been eating the store bought ones for a while, you know bulk frozen. They turn out pretty good frying them up in the pan and he likes them.

I've been trying to make them from grating potatoes, but they just don't turn out.  They usually turn kind of a nasty gray color, and clump together in the pan.

I suspect there is something I'm missing, like a drying process or some kind of blanching process?

View Quote
Microwave them about 2/3 of the regular time. Let them cool down or just stick them in the fridge overnight. They'll grate easily and brown more readily.

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I use cast iron for the hash browns.  I get the skillet hot first, then add butter oil blend right as I am adding the hash browns.  Keep that skillet hot and don't flip them too quick.  They should be brown on the bottom before flipping.

I shred my taters in a Salad Shooter Professional model.

I also use the cold water and sugar soak method.  I only keep them in the water about 10 minutes. I strain them and then dry them on towels.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Frozen shredded potatoes are always better than shredded fresh potatoes in the frying pan.  Too much water in fresh potatoes, and more work, for worse results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This has been my experience, never had them turn out right. So I usually buy...

Quoted:
simply potatoes (in the green bag) in the cooler section at grocery store is a good choice

I might try a few ideas in this thread, though, the dehydrated thing in particular looks interesting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Great tips on here. Will have to try a few.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#23]
One more thing if you insist on using fresh taters:  After you shred them, put them in a clean dish towel, twist it up,  and wring the crap out of them.  You will be amazed at how much water is removed by doing this.  The starch will also make your dish towel very ugly so use an old one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Why bother?

I buy Publix Frozen Hash Browns, and they're excellent.

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why bother?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bother?

Perhaps because many times a 20lb bag of taters is $5 at Costco?  I always have one on hand.  Freezer is for meat, not taters.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm definitely going to have to try some ideas in this thread. But if I can do it in Afghanistan(pictures and AAR) there is no excuse.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Instead of shredding/grating try cutting them into maybe 1/4 to 1/2 "cubes" then put a little oil in the pan and fry them up, salt to taste and then eat!  Many times better than the grated type IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:22:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I use cast iron for the hash browns.  I get the skillet hot first, then add butter oil blend right as I am adding the hash browns.  Keep that skillet hot and don't flip them too quick.  They should be brown on the bottom before flipping.

I also use the cold water and sugar soak method.  I only keep them in the water about 10 minutes. I strain them and then dry them on towels.
View Quote

Cold water helps, never used sugar.  Cast iron is best and stainless is worst.  Sit at the counter in a Waffle House and watch. They use a full ounce of oil with each order and cook until brown before turning over.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Instead of shredding/grating try cutting them into maybe 1/4 to 1/2 "cubes" then put a little oil in the pan and fry them up, salt to taste and then eat!  Many times better than the grated type IMO.
View Quote

If you do this, cut them up in to cubes and then nuke them for about two minutes before frying them. They come out crispy on the outside and fluffy and cooked on the inside.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

sounds like homefries instead of hashbrowns

best advice i've seen is to microwave them for a few minutes before shredding them to take out the moisture.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One more thing if you insist on using fresh taters:  After you shred them, put them in a clean dish towel, twist it up,  and wring the crap out of them.  You will be amazed at how much water is removed by doing this.  The starch will also make your dish towel very ugly so use an old one.
View Quote

this right here is key.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Perhaps because many times a 20lb bag of taters is $5 at Costco?  I always have one on hand.  Freezer is for meat, not taters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why bother?

Have you tried them?  Get back to me when you have a factual frame of reference for this discussion.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why bother?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bother?

Those from Publix are my Favorite!! (almost as good as sex with my Sister)!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I prefer homefried potatoes for scratch breakfast potato. Here's my recipe, it's really all in the technique however.

1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large russet potatoes, peeled, and sliced on a mandolin slicer to about 1/8" inch
Bacon grease
Lawry's seasoning salt or just salt and pepper.

Heat a large cast iron griddle or skillet to medium heat with a few heavy globs of grease.
Sauté onions for a few minutes until they just start to soften
Spread the sliced potatoes over the onions and let them steam for a couple minutes to start to soften up a little. Season with a few pinches of Lawry's.  Start to chop the big slices up into smaller pieces while moving them around the pan a bit.  Leave in place in a flat shape for a couple minutes so they get some crisp on the bottom, then flip and repeat. Do this a few times until they are browned and delicious!

Hashbrowns are fussy, homefries are not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soak in salty water overnight.

Grate em' Friday night, eat em' Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

best advice i've seen is to microwave them for a few minutes before shredding them to take out the moisture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes it is the simple things right in front of you that you miss.  I will be trying this microwave idea this weekend!!

Someone mentioned the Simply Potatos product.  I use them in casseroles mixed with chorizo, sausage, or bacon, and with green chiles, cheese, and eggs. You can make all three varieties in small aluminum casserole pans and feed quite a few people.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Whatever you do do not cook ahead refrigerate and re-cook that just gives them a nasty starch taste like they have been refrigerated

Grate 2-3 potatoes ( quick like bunny ) do this then pat your pile dry - throw a test pinch of taters on if the start to sizzle you got heat right
YOU must get potatoes grated in oil in a short amount of time or they will turn nasty color

I leave it one big cake swirl around pan , salt pepper top that is uncooked , lift the cake up when the side in the pan is golden brown , swirl and flip the whole cake , brown the other side

Don't add sugar
View Quote

That's how I do it, mine turn out browned and delicious with no water removal necessary.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Just like you do homemade chips.  cut'em up, put in cold water to cover, then put a lot
of ice on top, then rinse and dry.

also, the "all the way" is darn near perfect (if filling) meal.

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
After you do that, add an egg, a little flour, chopped onion, and salt and pepper.

Fry them and serve with sour cream.

Potato pancakes!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Since I don't plan ahead well for breakfast, I grate the potatoes then grab a handful (serving size) and squeeze as much liquid out that I can.  You'd be amazed at how much liquid squeezes out.  Form them into patties and drop on a hot oiled pan.  I like the idea of adding grated/sliced onions, I'll try that sometime.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#41]
The secret is drying them out so they fry instead of steam.

I throw them through the food processor grating wheel, lay out paper towels and dump the freshly grated (watery) potatoes on them, then cover with another set of paper towels and press them dry. They must be dry so stack your paper towels enough to soak all that moisture away, then transfer to bowl to await the fry pan. I use to use kitchen towels but paper towels you can just throw away afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Cold water helps, never used sugar.  Cast iron is best and stainless is worst.  Sit at the counter in a Waffle House and watch. They use a full ounce of oil with each order and cook until brown before turning over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched closely at Peggy Sues' Diner in Yuma.  They use butter/margarine cooking oil in a squeeze bottle.  Squeeze oil on the flat top, place hash browns in oil.  Let sit and then squirt on more butter oil.  They sat a long time until brown and then a flip, more oil and finish.  

The buttered oil is sold at Smart and Final, and probably other restaurant supply stores.  That is the only place I have found it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Have you tried them?  Get back to me when you have a factual frame of reference for this discussion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bother?

We are discussing hash browns, of which, I have made tonnage.  Factual frame of reference? OP says "raw potato".  They don't come frozen from bags sold at Publix.   You even quoted it "raw potato".  Reading comprehension is pretty hard for some.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just like you do homemade chips.  cut'em up, put in cold water to cover, then put a lot
of ice on top, then rinse and dry.

also, the "all the way" is darn near perfect (if filling) meal.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/5005e162c4aa44899228d266/t/517091dfe4b02974eba15b23/1366331871544/Screen%20Shot%202013-04-18%20at%205.37.21%20PM.png
View Quote

I recall 'chunked' used to be with chunks of Spam.  Times have changed.........
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:32:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Some good advice has been given.  There are two ways to make really excellent hash browns.  The first and easiest is to use baked potatoes.  The second is to shred them raw and wrap them in a clean dish towel, then use the towel to wring out the liquid.  Both will work well although each gives a little different result.  The most common technique in restaurants is to start with baked potatoes (or buy a premade item).
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:38:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't add sugar
View Quote

I make these potatoes all the time
You must NEVER cook potatoes then refrigerate them
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Grate, rinse, rinse, then use a potato ricer to strain.  Gets all the water out.  Fry as normal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:33:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The secret is drying them out so they fry instead of steam.

I throw them through the food processor grating wheel, lay out paper towels and dump the freshly grated (watery) potatoes on them, then cover with another set of paper towels and press them dry. They must be dry so stack your paper towels enough to soak all that moisture away, then transfer to bowl to await the fry pan. I use to use kitchen towels but paper towels you can just throw away afterwards.
View Quote

That's interesting, because the frozen Publix Hash Browns (which are REALLY good) obviously have a lot of water in them.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:37:40 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
We are discussing hash browns, of which, I have made tonnage.  Factual frame of reference? OP says "raw potato".  They don't come frozen from bags sold at Publix.   You even quoted it "raw potato".  Reading comprehension is pretty hard for some.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why bother?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.  When I said 'Why bother?" what exactly do think I was saying?  Let me set you straight.

Why bother with the headaches and inconsistency of trying to make good hash browns from raw potatoes, when you can buy a bag of frozen ones from Publix that are infinitely easier to make, and taste as good as any you've ever had?"

That was my advice to the OP.  As for you... I've given you a much more detailed explanation now.  I can only hope your reading skills are up to the task.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Thanks for the bacon!

...what are y'all gonna have?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top