Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2013 6:04:10 AM EDT
Whenever I reheat it, it basically looses all of it's flavor.  Now the really excellent stuff I make from scratch with a rue and everything....THAT retains it's flavor.

But the cheap boxed stuff, I can add butter which will just sort of give it a little more creaminess (and a laxative effect) but that's it.  

Anything else I can do to jazz it up a bit?  BTW, I'm NOT a fan of salsa or bare peppers.  Hot sauce is fine as are other spices.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
acquire some tony chachere's in the green can.

apply as desired.

thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Add bacon
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Beef bouillon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Put it in the fridge overnight. Cut into strip about 1.5"X1.5"X4". Dust with flower, dip in egg wash, dip in panko. Fry on an oil/butter mix until golden brown on all sides. Crisp outside, creamy center.

If you want to go all in, fry in bacon drippings!
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I use ketchup and tobasco on leftover mac and cheeze.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Ketchup and black pepper. Eat it cold.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Ranch dressing!
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Add in fried spam, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, asparagus, cream cheese, cracked black pepper or bacon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]
A touch of butter, bacon grease and a decent amount of sharp cheddar.  Form in to balls, roll in flour, egg, breadcrumbs and deep fry.  Oh yeah...
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ketchup and black pepper. Eat it cold.
View Quote

Yes.  Cold.  And fresh ground black pepper.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Left over taco meat mixed in. O.m.g.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Most of the boxed stuff has a mild , lame , processed cheese base.

Add some sharp cheddar or shake some grated Romano or the like on it

Some ham, bacon or even spam will help also
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Crush a handful of croutons over it.  Adds crunch and flavor.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#14]
If you put lobster meat into it from the start there wont be any leftover.

And it's roux.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Put it in the fridge overnight. Cut into strip about 1.5"X1.5"X4". Dust with flower, dip in egg wash, dip in panko. Fry on an oil/butter mix until golden brown on all sides. Crisp outside, creamy center.

View Quote

I have to try that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#16]
A1 steak sauce.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Mix in buffalo chicken
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for black pepper
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Garlic Salt
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Mix in buffalo chicken
View Quote

This

and

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#21]
ketchup  
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hate to dig up an old thread, but we did this last night and it was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing!! I'll have to give it a try the next time we make it.

We actually make a very rich (and super expensive!) mac n cheese for occasions/events that's actually a Tillamook recipe...INSANELY good!  I can only imagine it deep fried!  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#24]
i think you're re-heating it wrong. put it in a bowl, add a smidge of water to it (or milk, depending on what the cheese called for)...i am talking a minuscule amount. then you take a paper towel and get it wet, and place it over the top of the bowl so it acts as a wet lid. this will keep the moisture retained almost entirely. then, set your microwave to only heat at like 20-30% for about a minute. just so you can get some warmth back into the fake cheese and get the juices flowing again. take the bowl out, stir a bit (which will stir any remaining water at the bottom that you added back in at this point), put the paper towel back on, and give it about 70% power for another minute. by now some heat should be getting into the macaroni pretty well, stir again, re-wet the paper towel if it needs it, and then put it back in at 100% for about 30 seconds. you dont want to go too long on 100%, it might not even be necessary. but by then, you should have rejuvenated the macaroni to about 90% of what it had been when you first cooked it. from here, add what ever you want to it....canned tuna works really well and is super cheap.

I wish I could still eat macaroni and cheese, it was the hardest thing to give up that delicious velveeta shells and fake ass cheese....damn you health problems!
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We actually make a very rich (and super expensive!) mac n cheese for occasions/events that's actually a Tillamook recipe...INSANELY good!  I can only imagine it deep fried!  

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

We made our own mac and cheese the night before with a mixture of white cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, which is really good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

apply as desired.

thank me later.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Add bacon
View Quote

There you go!

Ham is good in it too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Brown Sugar

A little back story....

I grew up eating Kraft Mac and Cheese as a side dish every now and then, and I always thought it was pretty good for what it was.  I was probably in 10th grade at the time, and I was over at a buddy's house for dinner one night.  His mom had made some mac and cheese as a side.  It looked a little different than what I was accustomed to but I figured it might be the "off" brand.  I knew I was in for trouble after tasting that first bite.  It was bitter and not very good.  Certainly not what I was used to, but I brushed it off.

Fast forward a few years down the road and I'm having lunch with a co-worker who is chowing down on some good ole Kraft mac and cheese.  They ask me if I want some and I say "sure".  That first bite brought back a bitter memory.

At this point I decided to call my Mom and ask her what exactly went into the mac and cheese she used to make for us.  She said the secret was brown sugar, like she already knew what I was going to ask.  Love you, Mom, btw.

So after all of those years of eating delicious mac and cheese, and I came to the realization that so many people for so many years were eating this horrible, bitter, and bland slop.  

If you haven't tried it, please do yourself a favor and add a little brown sugar to your next batch.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Chopped up smoked brisket goes great mixed in mac and cheeze.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

apply as desired.

thank me later.
View Quote

Tried last night, after reading your post. Might well displace tobasco as my 'go to'. Thank you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I tried the fried mac n cheese....wasn't that great.

Here's what I think...it's got to be GOOD, home made, mac n cheese with some quality cheeses in it to begin with.  Mine was the $.39 generic box mac n cheese.  Edible initially but fried it wasn't really appetizing.

I'll try it again the next time I make the Tillamook recipe that has 5-10lbs of cheese, cream, and butter in it.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top