Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2011 7:37:26 AM EDT
You need:

A big crock pot
2# dried large lima beans
1  hambone (Hey, Chuck, I found a chunk of ham in the freezer.  I threw it in there for you. )
1  Stick butter (not margarine.  We're not making "Margarine Beans", girlfriend)
Salt Free and Original Tony Cachere's seasoning
Water

Start your butter melting in the crock pot.  Add Tony Cachere's to taste.

Toss a hambone in there.  Might want to throw a chunk of ham in there, too.  Chuck likes the meat.

Beans, fuck yeah!

But you need to sort through them and pick out the bad beans and gravel, right?  When I was a kid, my mother was a "bean counter".   She counted every bean, just so she didn't let a bad one get into the pot.    Here's my method: Pour about a half pound of beans into the lid of the crock pot, inspect, drink a beer, cull the bad ones, pour the beans into the crock pot.  Lather, rinse, get another beer, and repeat.  That gives me 4 beers, just sorting beans.  That said, this recipe is already a win.

Fill the crock pot up with the rest of the beans.

Cover it with water and turn it on its lowest setting.

Don't lift the lid for at least 12 hours unless you see beans floating with their skin all wrinkled up and discolored.  If this is the case, your crock pot's running way too hot. Don't worry, the beans will still be edible, just not "melt in your mouth".  

If they have a smooth texture to their skin, taste the beans and see if they need a little more time.

Hopefully, they'll need enough time for you to make a cake of cornbread and chop up some onion. I like mine with a splash of Tabasco or a spoonful of local (fucking smoking hot) chow chow.

Hope you enjoy the aftermath.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Lima Beans. nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lima Beans. nasty stuff.

Yeah, lima beans suck. Nice try though OP, looks like you probably have some other CP recipes that kickass.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Who's Kat?

Who's Chuck?

And who'd a thunk Lowe's sold more than hammers, nails and garden supplies? Go figure.....  
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Lima beans gas me up like nothing else, so me likey.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
This sounds great!! I love beans but my family hates when I eat too many beans :)..
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks great....but do yourself a favor and lose the Tony's and get some Slap Ya Mama.

http://www.slapyamama.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top