Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
RECIPE: Cheap Meals (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I just made this because I was lazy.  It turned out better than I expected.

Steam asparagus in the microwave.
Cook steaks in a skillet on the high heat, you want to leave some blackened bits at the bottom.  If the steaks are thick enough you can do this while still getting a decent medium rare in the middle.
Once the steaks are done move them to the plate to rest and remove the skillet from the heat.  Put a healthy dollop of butter into the skillet to deglaze.  Pour this over the asparagus and enjoy.

The cheap steaks cost me about $4, asparagus was about $3, butter is always around.  $7 can feed 3-4 or cooked in portion sizes to make several meals.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sloppy joes.  A double batch will feed you for 4-8 meals depending on if you have something with it or not.  Just make sure you use manwich and not try to create your own sauce.  

Also, you can get 2-3 very large salads out of a thing of lettuce(they are what $1-2 a bundle)..  Add some tuna(~$1) for some protein.  Add some topping and you have a nightly fine meal.

These meals may not be the cheapest, but they are pretty good for you.  

I also like doing a pork roast/butt whatever(under $2 a pound) in the crockpot for some tacos/fajitas/quesodillas.  

Another secret is to eat the same thing every day for dinner until it is gone...you will probably get sick of it by the 3rd night and not eat as much(always happens to me with sloppy joes).  Hence you save some $$.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread needs a bump for us cheapasses.

A quick and easy noodle bowl.

Take whichever ramen pack or instant noodle bowl, cook it according to the directions, and add your favorite kimchi or other vegetables on top. Teriyaki chicken thighs or fried egg is great as well.

Crock Pot Pork Butt

5-7lb pork butt depending on the size of your crockpot
6 garlic cloves
1-2 tablespoons of kosher salt
3-4 pieces of bacon

Peel garlic cloves and cut in half.
Stab pork butt all around the meat and insert half cloves into each slit.
Evenly cover with salt depending on taste and final use for the meat. I usually use 1-2T.
Put bacon on bottom of crockpot.
Cook pork fat side up for about 16 hours on low. Remove meat from juices and shred with forks.

Its a great, flavorful, dish that can be made into lots of different things or eaten as is. I use BBQ sauce for pork sammiches or other spices and salsa for tacos/burritos.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Well, there goes any chance of me doing anything on my off day
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Canned chicken, rice and alfredo sauce,

Cook rice as much as you want add chicken and alfredo sauce. I still make this today and my family loves it I do add a little spice could use Mrs Dash. About two cups rice, one large can of chicken and two jars of alfredo sauce feed a family of 5 easy with left overs and this is with having a 13 year old boy around the house.

Beans wash let soak overnight
BBQ sause
Hotdogs cut up

Place in cock pot and let cook for 8 hours.

28 ozs baked beans
7 hot dogs
4 cups tater tots
1 cup American cheese

Mix top tow in a cock pot cover with Tater tots let cook for 8 hours then put cheese on top.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:46:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX_Metal] [#7]
Half-Ass stir fry.
Found a large bag of pre-chopped and flash frozen stir fry mix at the store for around 2 bucks, contains 11 or so servings.
Combined with a pack of hotdogs, which ever brand you prefir.

In a skillet, melt a tab of butter and begin to saute some minced garlic. Once you have a nice smell going, toss in some of the frozen veggies and cover. (I usually do around 2 servings worth, I like my veggies )
While they are cooking, dice up one or two hotdogs, and throw them into the veggie mix. Keep everything moving around and add what ever you like to the mix.
Once the hotdog slices plump, you should be good to go.
I will get 4-5 meals out of a single bag of veggies and pack of hot dogs, shouldn't run you more than $4 or so.

I usually eat it just like that, but in a pinch you could put it over, or with some rice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
tag,

Great Ideas

I just transitioned to normal life from college and am looking for just this.  

My favorite so far seems to be the black bean tacos
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
My go to is always spaghetti.

A one lb tube of sausage, a 1lb pouch of noodles, and a 26oz can of pasta sauce. Brown the sausage, add the sauce, simmer while you boil the noodles, mix it all together when its done. I always get traditional sauce knowing i will be adding my own meat. "Meat" flavored sauce is shit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Macaroni Tex-Mex.

Kraft or house brand Deluxe mac and cheese with the creamy cheese.
1 pound of hamburger.
1 can of Rotel diced green peppers and tomatoes
1 can of jalapeño corn.
1/2 cup of pepper jack cheese.
Crushed red pepper.

Boil and drain mac and cheese while browning the meat. Mix together and add cheese from the packet and stir. Add the pepper jack and stir. Now add your Rotel, crushed red pepper, and jalapeño corn. Stir in and serve.

My family loves this and it makes plenty.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The other cheap one I make is steak taco rice.

2 packages of Knorr or house brand taco rice.
1 package of pre cooked fajita seasoned steak.
Jalapeños
Sour cream
Crushed red pepper
Chalula hot sauce.

Cook the rice per instructions on the package. After the rice is fully cooked, add the steak and stir in.
You're done.  The other ingredients are for toppers so substitute whatever to make it how you like it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quick and easy lunch:
1 package fajita shells (generic will work)
1 pound imitation crab meat (free on Craig's list)

Dessert:
Fruit plate (also free, some chick gave it to me)

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Hey! I came to this thread to post a recipe for pasta and peas. My grandmother used to make it.

She used pasta shells though and just cooked the pasta, then added a bit of butter, and mixed in a can of del monte peas. Put that in a bowl and cover it with grated cheese. We used Asiago. God I love being from an Italian family...

It was heaven. I still make it even when I'm not trying to go cheap. It's just fucking delicious.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bartley67:
Quick and easy lunch:

Dessert:

Enjoy!
View Quote

...imitation crab meat huh?....I assume you sub'd to the picking up girls on tinder feed as well?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:26:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#15]
Chilean Dal.  I use 1 tbsp of yellow curry powder instead of 1 tsp of cumin, leave out the tomatoes and use one habanero for the chile.  I also mix the tomato sauce & cooked lentils together in a bowl and puree it with a stick blender before adding it to the cooking pot

Dal, Chilean Style

3 cups of lentils

2 cups of chopped potatoes

2 chopped carrots

3 chopped tomatoes

1 hot pepper

1 small onion chopped

2 gloves garlic chopped

16 ounces tomato sauce

1 tsp cumin

a little beer or sherry

a little red vinegar

olive oil

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

salt and pepper
1. Soak and cook lentils till soft. Drain and rinse, set aside.

2. Sautee onions, garlic, hot pepper, and cumin in olive oil. Add beer or sherry.

3. Add potatoes and carrots, cover with water, bring to boil.

4. Add tomatoes and cook till potatoes are soft.

5. Add lentils and tomato sauce.

6. Salt and pepper to taste. (I sometimes add more water or beer if it's too thick, or vinegar if it's too sweet.) Add more cumin or hot sauce if you like it really spicy.

7. Throw in the cilantro, take if off the heat. Serve after a few minutes.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Sloppy Joe Casserole

Your preferred sloppy joe ingredients
Box of Jiffy cornbread mix
1 cup of cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350
Mix the cornbread mix according to directions.
Make your sloppy joe meat/sauce to your liking in a skillet, get the mixture heated to bubbling.
Pour sloppy joe mixture into casserole dish, cover with a layer of cheddar.
Cover cheddar layer with a solid layer of cornbread mix.
Put into preheated oven at 350 for 25-35 minutes until the cornbread is done.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BambiSlayer:

...imitation crab meat huh?....I assume you sub'd to the picking up girls on tinder feed as well?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quick and easy lunch:

Dessert:

Enjoy!

Well yeah, where do you think I got the fruit plate?.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Quick and easy lunch:

Dessert:

Enjoy!

Lol I followed it from the beginning but fell off aroudn 40-50 pages. It was great
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By phideaux_2003:

Hey! I came to this thread to post a recipe for pasta and peas. My grandmother used to make it.

She used pasta shells though and just cooked the pasta, then added a bit of butter, and mixed in a can of del monte peas. Put that in a bowl and cover it with grated cheese. We used Asiago. God I love being from an Italian family...

It was heaven. I still make it even when I'm not trying to go cheap. It's just fucking delicious.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By phideaux_2003:

I make it with a olive oil and garlic sauce.  Add a little cheese on top, yum....
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#20]
www.budgetbytes.com

Excellent site. Hundreds of recipes for all tastes...and all of them geared toward the "cheap and easy".

Print versions of recipes is excellent.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
www.budgetbytes.com

Excellent site. Hundreds of recipes for all tastes...and all of them geared toward the "cheap and easy".

Print versions of recipes is excellent.
View Quote

Thanks for the link.  There are some really interesting recipes on there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By _Soggy_:
Sloppy joes.  A double batch will feed you for 4-8 meals depending on if you have something with it or not.  Just make sure you use manwich and not try to create your own sauce.  
View Quote

I make my own, it is so simple and way better than anything you get out of a can or package.  I made a mistake though, that's all my family wants now when I make sloppy joes - they can't go back to anything else.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#23]

...  Just make sure you use manwich and not try to create your own sauce...
View Quote
I used to like Manwich.  Then my Mom showed me how she makes her Sloppy Joe sauce.  Cook meat.  Good squirt of yellow mustard.  About twice as much ketchup.  Pack of onion soup mix.  Handful of brown sugar.  Salt and pepper.  Adjust if needed.  Super easy.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#24]
It has been mentioned a few times but I can't stress enough, Fried rice mixed with whatever you want.

If you learn how to make awesome fried rice, it is super fast, easy, and one of the cheapest things you can make. 1000 calories worth of rice costs about $0.20 if you buy in bulk at sams club.

You can add anything to fried rice that you feel like. I like to crockpot chicken with water, orange juice, a bullion cube and italian spices and then pull it, then just mix the two or eat the chicken with ranch and the rice as is.

With fried rice, its easier to make a bunch of it then a little. But WORST case scenario even if you throw half of what you made away, your really not wasting that much money, maybe half a buck. You can always feed it to the dogs, they will like it as much or more than their food, they see it as a treat, and its probably cheaper than the dog food you are feeding them. one meal with rice won't hurt them at all.

You can add beans to rice. Pork, fish, sausage. I like to do kielbasa with a can of diced tomatoes or rotel, corn, green peppers, onion, whatever I have all mixed in. Makes prob 8 meals and costs maybe 5-6 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By flostang13:
It has been mentioned a few times but I can't stress enough, Fried rice mixed with whatever you want.

If you learn how to make awesome fried rice, it is super fast, easy, and one of the cheapest things you can make. 1000 calories worth of rice costs about $0.20 if you buy in bulk at sams club.

You can add anything to fried rice that you feel like. I like to crockpot chicken with water, orange juice, a bullion cube and italian spices and then pull it, then just mix the two or eat the chicken with ranch and the rice as is.

With fried rice, its easier to make a bunch of it then a little. But WORST case scenario even if you throw half of what you made away, your really not wasting that much money, maybe half a buck. You can always feed it to the dogs, they will like it as much or more than their food, they see it as a treat, and its probably cheaper than the dog food you are feeding them. one meal with rice won't hurt them at all.

You can add beans to rice. Pork, fish, sausage. I like to do kielbasa with a can of diced tomatoes or rotel, corn, green peppers, onion, whatever I have all mixed in. Makes prob 8 meals and costs maybe 5-6 bucks.
View Quote

I grew up with my mom making fried rice. She would put together, green, onion, egg, rice, and bacon.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By HKUSP45C:
What the fuck is a fajita shell?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HKUSP45C:

Originally Posted By MALT0SE:

Buy a rotisserie chicken, a bag of fajita shells, a bulk container of taco seasoning, and some sriracha. Shred the chicken and put some on a fajita shell, top with shredded cheese, and nuke for a minute. take it out, toss some sour cream, taco seasoning and sriracha on it. You could easily get 5 meals out of it for $7 or $8.

<Changed title to make yours the official cheap meals recipe thread - Z>

What the fuck is a fajita shell?
 No Habla

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I live in central TX, and I have NEVER heard someone call a tortilla a "fajita shell".

This..  Lived in west/central/north Texas all my life . . . I have heard them called saddle blankets or horse blankets for years, but never fajita shells!

View All Quotes

Jesus you really can't figure out what I meant when I said fajita shell and you had to google it? I'm surprised you know how to turn a computer on

I live in central TX, and I have NEVER heard someone call a tortilla a "fajita shell".

This..  Lived in west/central/north Texas all my life . . . I have heard them called saddle blankets or horse blankets for years, but never fajita shells!

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Aggie91:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aggie91:

Jesus you really can't figure out what I meant when I said fajita shell and you had to google it? I'm surprised you know how to turn a computer on

I have lived in the deep south, north east, Midwest, west coast and tx. I too have never heard of a tortilla being called a fajita shell. aside from my dad calling them head gaskets, I've only ever heard them referred to as tortillas.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
Sloppy Joe Casserole

1 cup of cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350
Make your sloppy joe meat/sauce to your liking in a skillet, get the mixture heated to bubbling.
View Quote

I made this the other night, it turned out pretty good!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Lo mein.  Boil up some spaghetti noodles - broken in half, or ramen noodles - al dente, saute whatever vegetables you might have on hand like celery, carrots, cabbage, zucchini, sugar peas, onion, etc, chopped small, until tender crisp.  Toss in the drained spaghetti and add some soy sauce or fish sauce, or both and toss until well mixed.  Thats it.  You can also toss in some left over meats or even diced up lunch meat as you do the veggies.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:03:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeyCoach] [#31]
Originally Posted By DS11M:

I made this the other night, it turned out pretty good!
View Quote

Glad to hear.  I like adding more cheese after I scoop it out onto my plate.  I want to try changing the top from the cornbread to a white flour mix like maybe biscuits?  Not sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Roaster chicken soup:
1 Roaster chicken
1 bag baby carrots
1 onion
1 small bunch of celery; 3 stalks
1 can of chicken stock or beef stock
2 tablespoons of flour
2 tablespoons of butter
Worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoons

Assuming you have some spices in your cabinet; thyme, parsley, 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste.

Chop veggies; and start sautéing in a decent sized stock pot in the butter.
While that's cooking pull the meat off the chicken and chop that. Leave most of it in fork size pieces; shred the rest.
When the onions are clear add the flour and stir.  Cook for a couple minutes and then add the chicken stock Worcestershire sauce, and spices.  Add enough water for the number of servings you want;  6-8 cups.  Bring to a boil and cook for until the carrots are tender.  Add the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.

Less than $10 for 6 meals.  Can be stretched by adding egg noodles or rice.  I also add frozen peas and fresh spinach occasionally; I'll add them when I add the chicken.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:26:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFellor] [#33]
Chicken tacos.

Dice up chicken breasts.  Cook for a bit in olive oil.   Sprinkle with garlic powder.  Add in some red cooking wine, lime juice, and Worcestershire sauce.  I don't know how much, I don't measure.  Cook until liquid is gone.  Makes for great tacos and I use the chicken for salads at work also.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TerribleTom:
I love those rotisserie chickens - there's so much you can do with them.

For my family of three, we'll eat one for dinner - usually a breast for the wife, a breast for me and a leg for the kid.  That leaves a leg, two thighs and maybe the wings that I can use later.

Some ideas:

Chicken tacos/nachos/burritos - de-skin and shred meat, cook over medium heat with a little oil and some taco seasoning.

Chicken salad - de-skin, chop/shred, add mayo.

Making your own chicken stock from the carcass is easy too, and if you freeze it in an ice cube tray then bag the cubes you have small amounts of chicken stock for recipes down the road.
View Quote

A favorite easy meal for me is pick up a rotisserie chicken, alfredo sauce, and penne noodles. While noodles cook, debone the chicken and add to alfredo sauce.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:25:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpudCrushr] [#35]

2 packs Ramen
2 c water
1lb hamburger (or less if you're poor)
1/2 c frozen peas
1/2 c frozen corn

1. Brown meat and mix with one Ramen seasoning packet. Set aside.
2. Break Ramen and cook with 2 c water and other seasoning packet. Add in frozen veggies.
3. Once water has been absorbed, stir in cooked hamburger.

Also, check out this PDF. Lots of interesting ideas:

good-and-cheap.pdf
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#36]
2T Miso paste-plain
1T Chicken base
1/2 chix breast sliced in 1/2 long ways and jullienned
2 cups mix Veg-All (corn, butter bean, carrot, green bean)
1/2 onion or 1/2 of a 2" peice of leek white jullienned or sliced in rings
4 fresh mushroom sliced
1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
2T Soy sauce
1T fresh grated ginger (optional)
2 qt water
Fresh soba noodles or whatever noodle you want really if you use dried parboil them prior to adding to soup
Bring water to boil add all ingredients, bring to simmer, add noodles and serve when noodles are ready.

There can be endless variations of this, I'll use fish sauce, omit the ginger, add enoki mushrooms, dried seaweed flakes, or omit the Miso and make a broth with dried anchovie and sea kelp. Or swap the protien with fish, or beef/pork what ever. Just like Pho, add fresh cilantro or parsely, whatever, it is cheap and easy to make.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DanNH:
This is my favorite meal on the cheap:

Ingredients:

1 package uncle bens jambalaya mix.
1 package of raw hot sausage.
1 package of Jiffy Cornbread Mix

Do this:

Make the jambalaya according to the directions on the back of the box, but leave slightly under cooked..

Slice open the sausage casing & remove the casing.

Brown the sausage in a saute pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon while it cooks.

Once the sausage is almost cooked, add the slightly under cooked jambalaya to the saute pan.

Let everything finish cooking in that pan.

Now just make the cornbread according to the directions and slather with butter and serve alongside the sausage and rice dish.

simple, but one of my favorites. Mayy cost you 7 or 8 dollars, but worth it.
View Quote

I usually use the jambalaya mix with andouille sausage and a can of hop'n john.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I made this the other night. You probably have most of the ingredients already, price is $10-15 for a family size. Add a $1 can of beans or rice.

Canned chicken enchiladas.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#39]
If you're looking for a way to make a cheap meal one of the best things I could think to recommend is to see where the nearest international market is.

Something like an Hmart or whatever it happens to be, go in and check out the produce, bulk rice, seasonings, and noodles. If you like green leafy vegetables and you're used to shopping at Fresh Market or Whole Foods the prices will shock you.

Buy some flank steak, gai lan, garlic, and rice. Make a stir fry with whatever sauce you like with beef and eat it on steamed rice. I like Laoganma stuff in the jar with the red label for Szechuan or get a small tub of Gochujuang and make a vinegar sauce with that... Or just make or use any teriyaki / stir fry sauce you like.

Flank steak isn't exactly cheap, that's why you only use a little and pad the meal with vegetables and rice so you can get at least two more meals out of a decent amount 3-4 lbs.

The next thing would be egg noodles topped with flank steak, either stroganoff or gravy style whatever you like, I'd make stroganoff and use wine and sour cream because it's awesome and although mushrooms add to the cost you get a big bag of egg noodles at GFS or a food service store for cheap, or you can just make them with flour and eggs or even use rice.

The third day you can make fajitas and take a trick from Chipotle, use rice and beans to stretch the meat out.

If you need to cut the food bill soup is always a good idea too. Chicken soup, mushroom soup, potato soup, tomato soup.

I really like homemade soup.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I just found a great recipe for tomato soup.

Tomato soup from tomato paste

It's cheap and very tasty.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:19:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
Sloppy Joe Casserole

1 cup of cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350
View Quote

we do something similar. 1-1.5 lbs of lean burger fried up. Mix it up with 2 cans of Nalley Thick Chilli. Pour into a 9x13 casserole pan.
mix up Marie Calendar's cornbread mix and pour over the top and bake just like the cornbread instructions say.

Makes for some awesome leftovers too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Back to the first page.
Indiana is a fajita shell free state.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By wessono:
View Quote

I make my own, it is so simple and way better than anything you get out of a can or package.  I made a mistake though, that's all my family wants now when I make sloppy joes - they can't go back to anything else.
View Quote

What is the recipe?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I made this recently, it's really good.  It's called Cuban Picadillo, but it's basically sloppy joe with different seasonings and spices.  Try it with half the amount to see if you like it.  I eat it with black beans

2 lbs 90% ground beef

1 hot italian saugage or chorizo

1 tbsp EVOO

2 onions chopped

4 cloves garlic minced

1 medium can diced tomatoes

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

1 tbsp ground cinnamon

2 tsp ground cumin

2 bay leaves

pinch ground cloves

pinch ground nutmeg

2/3 cup sliced kalamata olives

2/3 cup golden raisins

1. heat EVOO in large skillet with a cover over medium high.  When hot add onions, sausage and cook until onions are soft (10 minutes or so).  Add garlic in last 30 seconds.

2.  Add beef & brown, crumble meat with spatula, salt & pepper to taste (the olives have brine, so easy on salt if you add any)

3.  Add tomatoes, vinegar, cinnamon, cumin, bay leaves, cloves and nutmeg.  Stir to combine.  Simmer covered for 25 minutes

4.  Uncover pan, add raisins & olives.  Simmer additional 15 minutes uncovered
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Chicken Ropa Vieja, the easy way

boneless chicken breast
rotelle
garlic
onions
butter

saute garlic and onions in cast iron skillet
add chicken once onions become translucent
add Rotelle, throw in the oven at 350 until the chicken temps out.  Let rest for 10-20 minutes, shred and server with red beans and rice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Carbonara

Spaghetti
Garlic
Basil and Tomato (optional)
Bacon (2 pieces)
Olive Oil (2 tbs)

1 egg
milk (1/2c)
Grated Parmesan cheese (1/4c)

Render bacon in a cast iron skillet.  While that happens, prepare spaghetti.  Add garlic and olive oil to bacon, keep on low heat.  Drain spaghetti, reserving some of the liquid.
Add spaghetti to bacon/garlic/olive oil. and stir toss to get the grease and oil of the noodles.  Whisk eggs and milk, and parm.  Add egg mixture to noodles, stirring/tossing constantly (I use tongs).  Keep it moving, otherwise you'll get scrambled eggs.  The idea is to coat the noodles with the egg mixture.  If the noodles look to thick, add some of the reserved noodle water.  Add chopped basil and diced tomatoes, serve.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:34:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By raven:
I made this recently, it's really good.  It's called Cuban Picadillo, but it's basically sloppy joe with different seasonings and spices.  Try it with half the amount to see if you like it.  I eat it with black beans

2 lbs 90% ground beef
1 hot italian saugage or chorizo
1 tbsp EVOO
2 onions chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1 medium can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cumin
2 bay leaves
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground nutmeg
2/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
2/3 cup golden raisins

1. heat EVOO in large skillet with a cover over medium high.  When hot add onions, sausage and cook until onions are soft (10 minutes or so).  Add garlic in last 30 seconds.

2.  Add beef & brown, crumble meat with spatula, salt & pepper to taste (the olives have brine, so easy on salt if you add any)

3.  Add tomatoes, vinegar, cinnamon, cumin, bay leaves, cloves and nutmeg.  Stir to combine.  Simmer covered for 25 minutes

4.  Uncover pan, add raisins & olives.  Simmer additional 15 minutes uncovered
View Quote

living in central florida where theres a huge Puerto rican and Cuban community the average recipe ive been give doesn't have the Italian sausage/chorizo nor red wine vinegar, and the olives are your usual small green ones. one trick is to cook the onions in the beginning with the brine of the olives to get that extra olive-y taste as I like it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#48]
bump
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
bump
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Don't let this one slip away.
Page / 4
RECIPE: Cheap Meals (Page 2 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top