BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 12 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 1:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45FMJoe] [#1]

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

You can saute the chilies just like any other aromatic, so yes - a little oil will work just fine. As far as a sauce is concerned - your description is pretty lacking. You could start out by making an enchilada-type sauce; there are a lot of recipes online that you could start with. Basically - roux + chicken broth + chili powder + cumin+ salt/pepper. Instead of - or in addition to - chili powder you can use habanero and/or jalapeno powder and of course bits of the fresh peppers as you mentioned.. Jalapeno and habanero in powdered form hard to find, although they're available at Central Markets here in central TX. Alternatively, you can dehydrate the peppers yourself and grind them in a spice mill. Seems like you wouldn't have to go through that hassle if you add finely minced fresh peppers to your sauce. I don't know about the sweet aspect - I've never tried putting sugar in am enchilada-type of sauce.

Another way to make a sauce is without a roux and using corn starch as a thickener - something akin to an asian-type of sauce. That I could easily see going toward the sweeter side. Was the sauce more translucent or opaque? If translucent, then it might be corn-starch based.

And don't worry about cooking the heat out of habaneros - there's still plenty left.

I'm interested in the Chef's take on this - that sounds interesting and I wouldn't mind trying out what he suggests on a future burger.

Apparently it's actually a hot sauce as you can get their wings coated with it. This makes sense as it had the color and consistency of a hot sauce just with tiny pieces of peppers in it from not being strained after cooking. I did a little research and found many references to the habanero pepper itself having a slightly sweet almost fruity taste so that's probably where it came from. Like I said, it was subtle but pleasant.

I found this recipe online I think I'll try, but it might have too much vinegar?

Directions:

1. Put all of the ingredients in a blender on high, blend until smooth.

2. Add the sauce to a sauce pan and bring to a boil.

3. Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.

4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Place in a clean jar and refrigerate.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Chef,

Does pounding out a veal cutlet help breading adhere.  I made some veal parmesan and had some delamination issues.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Harvster:
Chef,

Does pounding out a veal cutlet help breading adhere.  I made some veal parmesan and had some delamination issues.

never heard delamination as a descriptor for losing your coating on pan seared meats

new vocabulary word for the day though...I used it when my last wife(the cheerleader) removed her makeup at night...

pounding makes the meat easier to chew..and while it may help in keeping the breading adhered to it..I would look more to
a. the breading process
b, the heat of my oil when I started pan frying the cutlets.

breading as discussed in here somewhere..is Rinse your product with clean water, shake a bit dry, dredge in flour, dredge in egg/milk bath, dredge in bread crumbs/cornmeal/seasoned flour etc and into hot oil of 350dgrs.

so, how;d you do it?

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Was the sauce very sweet? There are a lot of hot sauces out there which have a noticeable sweetness component. Tiger Sauce is one, Tabasco Sweet and Spicy is another. I can easily see taking one of those as a base, then adding finely minced peppers to them. Those would be great on a burger.

Heck, I'm thinking I might try that sooner than later.

d

sorry busy with new GrandSon Gideon!!!

pics later...

ok, I'm coming out,,
I am NOT a hot sauce guy, not sure why people try to get the hottest crap into their gullets humanly possible.

while I do enjoy the ocasional spicy dish derived from jalepenos, various curry diversities, Thai make you cry and yes even habarios if the traditional dish calls for it
I just dont care for the outcome so, while not ignorant, not schooled.

you guys seem to have pretty well covered it and I am interested in seeing more info!
CHEF

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Chef and Z,

I'm going to try to make that hot sauce this weekend.. I know it takes a week or two of refrigerating it to bring everything together but I'll give an initial AAR.

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:

Chef,

never heard delamination as a descriptor for losing your coating on pan seared meats

new vocabulary word for the day though...I used it when my last wife(the cheerleader) removed her makeup at night...

pounding makes the meat easier to chew..and while it may help in keeping the breading adhered to it..I would look more to

a. the breading process

breading as discussed in here somewhere..is Rinse your product with clean water, shake a bit dry, dredge in flour, dredge in egg/milk bath, dredge in bread crumbs/cornmeal/seasoned flour etc and into hot oil of 350dgrs.

so, how;d you do it?

Cutlets were individually vacuum sealed.  Remove thawed from bag, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in buttermilk, coat in breadcrumbs, five minute rest and into 1/8 inch oil in a hot skillet.  It seemed OK at that point.  Then a little red sauce and some cheese and into a 350 deg oven for 10 minutes.  Cutting it on the plate resulted in loss of yummy breading.

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 4:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45FMJoe] [#9]

Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:

Chef and Z,

I'm going to try to make that hot sauce this weekend.. I know it takes a week or two of refrigerating it to bring everything together but I'll give an initial AAR.

If it's got that much vinegar, it'll definitely be a hot sauce, not a sweet/spicy sauce.

I'm thinking of cutting the vinegar in half and substituting water. Whacha think?

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Chef,

a. the breading process

so, how;d you do it?

Cutlets were individually vacuum sealed.  Remove thawed from bag, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in buttermilk, coat in breadcrumbs, five minute rest and into 1/8 inch oil in a hot skillet.  It seemed OK at that point.  Then a little red sauce and some cheese and into a 350 deg oven for 10 minutes.  Cutting it on the plate resulted in loss of yummy breading.

Not the chef, but don't you need egg in the bath for the stickiness of the egg for the breading to adhere?

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Chef and Z,

If it's got that much vinegar, it'll definitely be a hot sauce, not a sweet/spicy sauce.

I'm thinking of cutting the vinegar in half and substituting water. Whacha think?

If you want a sweet/spicy sauce, I really think you ought to start with a commercial sauce like Tiger Sauce or Tabasco Spicy&Sweet. Getting the consistency right is going to be tough, and your recipe is going to be more Tabasco-like in thickness. Simply adding sugar isn't going to give you the right flavor profile for putting on the burgers.

Now if your goal is just to make hot sauce - have at it.

fermentation is the key in what Joe is attempting...Mcilhenny ferments for 3 years..

Note: This recipe requires pulling the liquid from the peppers, so they must be fresh, fleshy and of the right state of ripeness. At Avery Island they still use the original "critique baton rouge", a red stick tinted to the exact color of the peppers to be harvested. Peppers not matching the "critique" are rejected.

Please remember - old or over-dried peppers are the key to failure. This is true for all hot sauce recipes that use fresh versus powdered chile peppers.

Ingredients:

chile peppers of your
Salt
White wine vinegar
(See below for amounts of each.)

Directions:

Grind peppers (any amount), seeds and all, in a medium to fine grind. Add ½ cup kosher salt per gallon of ground peppers. This ratio of mash to salt of 32:1 seems to be the best but can vary depending on the quality of your peppers. Put mash & salt mixture into a glass or crockery jar. Press the mash down and cover with saucer or other lid . Liquid will form.

allow to age at least 1 month. Longer is better … McIlhenny ages their Tabasco peppers for 3 years!

Allow fermenting until the mash stabilizes (stops fermenting). After aging is finished, place mash in a new clean and sterilized jar. Add sterilized white wine vinegar to taste and age for about another week to blend the flavors together.

Run the mash through a chinoise, fine strainer, or, last resort, throw it all into a bowl lined with cheesecloth, fold the cheesecloth up into a ball and twist & squeeze until the juice is extracted. Salt to taste. Bottle the juice and keep in the refrigerator.

Oils and sugar adding will create thicker sauces..and some even bring the final sauce to a boil and tighten it with corn starch and water.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Chef,

a. the breading process

so, how;d you do it?

Not the chef, but don't you need egg in the bath for the stickiness of the egg for the breading to adhere?

it helps but not a must..the issue I see is probably the oil not being hot enough it is the issue 95% of the time when breading wont stick
the rest of the time is when frying things like egg plant with skin, peppers with skin etc...notice the vegetable with skin redundency?

I think I mention several times if you dont have a kitchen thermometer, buy one, if you have one, use it..
CHEF...
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#14]

it helps but not a must..the issue I see is probably the oil not being hot enough it is the issue 95% of the time when breading wont stick

the rest of the time is when frying things like egg plant with skin, peppers with skin etc...notice the vegetable with skin redundency?

I think I mention several times if you dont have a kitchen thermometer, buy one, if you have one, use it..

CHEF...

Thanks CHEF.  I have an Omega hand held like below, with a stainless alloy thermocouple.   Very handy in the kitchen.

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]

CHEF...

Thanks CHEF.  I have an Omega hand held like below, with a stainless alloy thermocouple.   Very handy in the kitchen.

http://i.imgur.com/a6POs.jpg

well, if the oil temp was good, I will just give the standard Chef to subordinate responce.

you fucked it up, dont do it again...
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
wow..first time ever I fell off my front page of my "subscription"

Having been busy with my newest addition, spring around the ranch, gunshow weekends, Sun Oven sales have been very good..running around with
the ATF trying to get my FFL....I"m worn out,,but not enough to forget my friends and apprentices...

here's the new addition..

errr

Gideon Nathanial 5.8 oz 19.5"

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#17]
CHEF,

Can you suggest, or point me to one in your threads,  an interesting appetizer.  Dinner party of 6. All normal to adventurous eaters.  Maybe a couple of your favorites to make or eat?

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#18]
CHEF,

Can you suggest, or point me to one in your threads,  an interesting appetizer.  Dinner party of 6. All normal to adventurous eaters.  Maybe a couple of your favorites to make or eat?

Thank you.  

here are a few,,there are HUNDREDS of varieties, again please check the index's

We really havnt done much with appetizers in either thread, check the index’s there are a few…and here’s a few more
Thank you, was feeling lonely..

Devils on horseback( DO NOT ask me why)
Ingredients
·20 wooden toothpicks
·1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
·1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
·3/4 cup dark brown sugar
·20 dates, pitted and left whole
·20 whole smoked almonds
·10 bacon slices, cut in half crosswise
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Soak the toothpicks in a bowl of water. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
2.In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce and ground ginger. Place the brown sugar into a shallow bowl. Spread open a pitted date, then stuff it with a smoked almond. Wrap the date with half a bacon slice, secure it with a toothpick, dip the bundle in soy sauce mixture, and then dip it into brown sugar. Place the wrapped dates into the prepared baking dish. If desired, sprinkle a little more brown sugar over the bundles.
3.Bake in the preheated oven until the bacon is brown and crisp, 15 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving; serve warm or at room temperature.

This also translates in to bacon wrapped Shrimp, Oysters, Waterchestnuts, scallops etc…

Cream cheese and crab sushi roll
Ingredients
·1 cup uncooked white rice
·2 cups water
·2 tablespoons rice vinegar
·1 teaspoon salt
·2 sheets nori seaweed sheets
·1/4 cucumber, peeled and sliced lengthwise
·2 pieces imitation crab legs
·1/2 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, sliced
·1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
Directions
1.Bring the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar and salt. Allow to cool completely.
2.Lay out seaweed sheets. Moisten hands with water, then spread the rice evenly on each sheet, leaving a 1/2 inch gap along one edge, lengthwise. Arrange strips of cucumber, imitation crabmeat, and cream cheese in a straight line along the side opposite of the gap. Roll the sushi from the toppings to the exposed end of the seaweed sheet.
3.Using a sharp wet knife, slice each roll into 5 or 6 pieces. Serve with minced ginger on the side.

Andouille and poblano quesedea
Ingredients
·1 tablespoon canola oil
·2 andouille sausage links, finely diced
·AIDELLS, the company I rep for is the BEST andouille out ther
·1 poblano chile, finely diced
·1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
·1/2 large red onion, finely diced
·1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
·4 flour tortillas
·2 cups shredded Colby cheese
·1 tablespoon canola oil
·1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
·1/4 cup salsa (optional)
Directions
1.Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the diced sausage, poblano pepper, red pepper, red onion, and corn. Cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
2.Spoon 1/4 of the sausage mixture on one half of each tortilla; top each with 1/2 cup cheese. Fold over tortillas to make a half moon shapes. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
3.Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook quesadillas until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is brown and crispy, about 5 minutes per side. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges, and top with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
Vietnamese spring rolls
Ingredients
·2 ounces rice vermicelli
·8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
·8 large cooked shrimp - peeled, deveined and cut in half
·1 1/3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
·3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
·3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
·2 leaves lettuce, chopped
·
·4 teaspoons fish sauce
·1/4 cup water
·2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
·1 clove garlic, minced
·2 tablespoons white sugar
·1/2 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
·
·3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
·1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts
Directions
1.Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
2.Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften. Lay wrapper flat. In a row across the center, place 2 shrimp halves, a handful of vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
3.In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce.
4.In another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
5.Serve rolled spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.
Sausage stuffed Jalepenos
Ingredients
·1 pound ground pork sausage
·1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
·1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
·1 pound large fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2.Place sausage in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain grease.
3.In a bowl, mix the sausage, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Spoon about 1 tablespoon sausage mixture into each jalapeno half. Arrange stuffed halves in baking dishes.
4.Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned.

Can be served with Ranch dressing, cream cheese dip, blue cheese dressing etc...

Gingered beed skewers
Ingredients
·2 pounds flank steak
·1/2 cup hoisin sauce
·2 tablespoons lime juice
·1 tablespoon honey
·1 clove garlic, minced
·1 teaspoon kosher salt
·1 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger root
·1 teaspoon sesame oil
·1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce
·1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
·1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
·
·20 (8 inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
·1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
·2 chopped green onions
Directions
1.Thinly slice the flank steak across the grain and at an angle, creating slices 1 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick.
2.Whisk together the hoisin sauce, lime juice, honey, garlic, salt, ginger, sesame oil, chile-garlic sauce, red pepper flakes, and black pepper in a bowl; pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the sliced flank steak, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 12 hours.
3.Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate. Remove the flank steak from the marinade, and discard the remaining marinade. Thread the meat onto the skewers.
4.Cook the skewers on the preheated grill until cooked to your desired degree of doneness, 2 to 3 minutes per side for well done. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions to serve

Chipolte shrimp skewers
Ingredients
·3 cloves garlic, minced
·2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
·1 lemon, juiced
·1 tablespoon olive oil
·1 tablespoon paprika
·1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
·1 teaspoon kosher salt
·1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
·1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
·1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
·2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
·wooden or metal skewers
Directions
1.Mix together the garlic, chipotle peppers, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, cilantro, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Stir in the shrimp, and mix well to thoroughly coat. Marinate for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
2.Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
3.Remove the shrimp from the marinade, and discard excess marinade. Thread about 5 shrimp per skewer, and grill on the preheated grill until the shrimp turn pink and opaque in the center, about 2 minutes per side
Spicy artichoke and Spinach dip
Ingredients
·2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
·1/2 cup mayonnaise
·1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
·1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
·1 (12 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
·1/4 cup canned chopped jalapeno peppers, drained
·1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Mix together the cream cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the green chiles, Parmesan cheese, artichokes, peppers, and spinach. Spoon the mixture into a baking dish.
3.Bake in preheated oven until slightly browned, about 30 minutes.

Bruchetta with sun dried tomato and chicken.
Ingredients
·2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
·1 1/4 cups Italian salad dressing, divided
·4 cups fresh spinach, torn
·1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
·8 sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil, chopped
·1 (1 pound) loaf focaccia bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
·1/4 cup olive oil
Directions
1.Place the chicken and 1 cup salad dressing in a bowl. Cover, and marinate at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.
2.Preheat the grill for high heat.
3.Lightly oil the grill grate. Discard dressing used for marinating, and grill chicken 7 minutes per side, or until juices run clear. Cool and shred.
4.In a large bowl, mix the cooked chicken, spinach, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and remaining dressing.
5.Brush the focaccia bread with olive oil, and cook 1 minute per side on the prepared grill, or until lightly toasted. Place portions of the chicken mixture on the toasted focaccia to serve.

CHEF
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#19]

CHEF,

Thank you.  

working on a response, will be back laters

CHEF
No hurry.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
The little one is adorable, Chef! How's mom doing?

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#21]
The little one is adorable, Chef! How's mom doing?  

Thank you

His Mom seems to be doing fine,,running the ass of her husband and wishing Baby Buckeroo could come home
Doc says MAYBE friday..he still isnt eating enough with out the feeding tube but getting closer..now cresting 6lbs...and no feedng tube

BUCKEROO..
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats Chef!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:22:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edb66] [#23]
Ay jefe! I want to make some herb infused olive oil for dipping bread into. I have a liter of oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano and some dried chilis, how much stuff is gonna be too much? Oh yeah, I'm using fresh herbs not dried do I need to refrigerate the oil?

ETA congrats on the NEWB!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By UT-ARShooter:
Congrats Chef!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By edb66:
Ay jefe! I want to make some herb infused olive oil for dipping bread into. I have a liter of oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano and some dried chilis, how much stuff is gonna be too much? Oh yeah, I'm using fresh herbs not dried do I need to refrigerate the oil?

ETA congrats on the NEWB!

Thank you!

I am thinking 25% mass to 75% oil and no should not need refer...
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Hello again, Chef!

I'm on a quest to fatten up a coworker before her wedding (it's really just motivation to work out, and she is actually losing weight as a result), and I've been cooking up all kinds of confections that I've never done before.

My most recent endeavor has been fudge.  I'd like to find some REAL fudge recipes that don't involve sweetened condensed milk, marshmellows, or some other easy-out ingredient.  I had hoped that Google would be useful in coming up with the type of fudge you get in mom & pop confectioner shops that have been around since dirt was invented, but it seems that these types of recipes are kept near and dear.

Have you ever had any experience in making fudge?  Do you know any good sources for recipes?

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 7:49:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#28]
Originally Posted By Marauder777:
Hello again, Chef!

I'm on a quest to fatten up a coworker before her wedding (it's really just motivation to work out, and she is actually losing weight as a result), and I've been cooking up all kinds of confections that I've never done before.

My most recent endeavor has been fudge.  I'd like to find some REAL fudge recipes that don't involve sweetened condensed milk, marshmellows, or some other easy-out ingredient.  I had hoped that Google would be useful in coming up with the type of fudge you get in mom & pop confectioner shops that have been around since dirt was invented, but it seems that these types of recipes are kept near and dear.

Have you ever had any experience in making fudge?  Do you know any good sources for recipes?

Hello Maurauder!!

I have made fudge,,old school fudge,,when you start putting cream and other things into fudge it ceases being fudge   IMHO,
WHen I finished my apprenticeship in culinary, my first "real" job was Baker in a private club,
I made fudge, puff pastry, danish, dinner rolls, bread, cookies, cakes, cupcakes, pies, cream puffs, eclairs, asst candies and learned to carve ice and make tallow sculptures.
2 years, 12 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week dependent on business levels for

125.00 a week BIG Money in the 70's....
I also blew myself up..

OLD style "pizza" oven,
4am, Hung over from a long night of partying,,
turned on the oven.,
got coffee in the main kitchen,
yacked with delivery crew on the dock while having a smoke..(Yes I used to smoke, drink, chase cocktail waitresses and bartenderettes, whoredog that I was)
walk back into bake shop
realize my oven is cold
open access port to pilot so I can light it.
strike a match
wake up 3 hours later on a strecher wondering WTF just happened..Yeah I looked like that..
I was thrown backwards into the pot sink 20' behind me,
broke two teeth, burned off beard, eyebrows, 3" of hair back up my skull and had a mild concussion
and my face and chest was embedded with black crust, looked like bird shot that took most of 3 years to finally all  work its way out..
STUPID,,,
Old ovens didnt have safties as they do today, where as the gas doesnt enter the appliance unless the pilot is lite...so 3 door oven was full of NatGas when
DUMBASS LIGHT A MATCH
Darwin FAILED.....

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter

Directions
1. In a medium saucepan, stir together the cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Mix in corn syrup, and milk until well blended. Add butter, and heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Stir occasionally.
2. Remove from heat, and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is thick and loses its gloss. Stir in vanilla, and pour into a buttered 9x9 inch baking dish. Let cool until set. Cut into small squares to serve.

this is a baked fudge,
givea a bit of a different texture..pushes closer to a brownie but chewier..

Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
2. In large bowl, sift together sugar, flour and cocoa. Add eggs. Add melted butter, vanilla and pecans. Pour mixture into 8x12-inch baking pan.
3. Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until firm
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Chef,

Would doubling the fudge recipe's cause any problems?  Some recipes just don't turn out that great if they are doubled.

Thanks
Chris
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By chris8938:
Chef,

Would doubling the fudge recipe's cause any problems?  Some recipes just don't turn out that great if they are doubled.

Thanks
Chris

first one shoould be OK, second one,,flour tends to be fussy..I would maybe double all but the flour, maybe add 1/2 as much more
and add more if consistency is too lose.
CHEF
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Great story, Chef!! I'm definitely taking note and not sticking my head into an old-fashioned gas oven with a lit match anytime soon!  

I whipped up a batch of the first recipe and it turned out great! I think I waited too long to put the vanilla in, as it was almost solid before I decided that I must have missed the difference between "glossy" and "not glossy".  It was extremely thick for stirring the vanilla in, but I managed!  

I realized (of course, after measuring out most of the ingredients) that I was out of milk, but I DID have some raw Jersey cream in the fridge... Now, I know you said cream is bad, but I'm HOPING you meant sweetened condensed milk and/or marshmallow cream!  I think it turned out pretty damn good with real cream!

As always, thank you much!

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Marauder777:
Great story, Chef!! I'm definitely taking note and not sticking my head into an old-fashioned gas oven with a lit match anytime soon!  

I whipped up a batch of the first recipe and it turned out great! I think I waited too long to put the vanilla in, as it was almost solid before I decided that I must have missed the difference between "glossy" and "not glossy".  It was extremely thick for stirring the vanilla in, but I managed!  

I realized (of course, after measuring out most of the ingredients) that I was out of milk, but I DID have some raw Jersey cream in the fridge... Now, I know you said cream is bad, but I'm HOPING you meant sweetened condensed milk and/or marshmallow cream!  I think it turned out pretty damn good with real cream!

As always, thank you much!

I never did it again

learning Gloss is one the hardest thing in candy making..takes some practice, good lighting and patience..but, at least the mistakes still taste great..
CHEF
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Chef, I brought home a 11# ready-to-cook ham today, and I have no real ideas as to what to do with it. I have a stove, and oven, and a crockpot to work with. Most of my cookbooks recommend simmering it for 4-6 hours in water, followed by an hour or so in the oven.

I plan on slicing up and freezing most of it once cooked for later use.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Andras:
Chef, I brought home a 11# ready-to-cook ham today, and I have no real ideas as to what to do with it. I have a stove, and oven, and a crockpot to work with. Most of my cookbooks recommend simmering it for 4-6 hours in water, followed by an hour or so in the oven.

I plan on slicing up and freezing most of it once cooked for later use.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

I assume this is a raw ham?

Fresh pork leg, also known as fresh ham, is the uncured hind leg of the hog. Like cured ham, fresh leg of pork/fresh ham is available either bone-in or boneless and may be purchased whole or halved. Fresh ham also may be cut into rump (from near the sirloin), shank (lower leg portion) or center portions. I dont think fresh pork leg roast gets the respect it deserves,
the  Smoked HAM is far more preveliant and has a distinctive taste profile, I personaly prefer a fresh leg over chemically injected "smoked" you find in todays grocers.

The whole bone-in leg generally weighs between 15 and 25 pounds and includes the shank and leg bones. Boneless pork leg is often rolled and tied with twine by the butcher.
Do not use sharp utensils that may pierce the meat when trying to turn it because piercing allows valuable juices to escape. Use other utensils, such as wooden spoons and spatulas for turning the meat.
For a crisp surface on your roast, be sure the oven is fully preheated before place the roast in it and do not cover the meat while roasting.
roast it at 350 for 22-26 min per pound as any other roast,  but, with 1 quart of 7UP or Coke in the bottom of the pan the ham will draw up the sweet pop and give it a nice flavor and keep it moist. The drippings can also be made in to a very nice "red eye" gravy with a bit of thightening agent.

you can boil it first, but not sure why, but some do..guess to Insure it being fully cooked. and or cooking out some of the fat..

You can also cook it with rosemary,  some garlic, salt and pepper, as you would roast chicken or beef..

good luck with your adventure..

CHEF.

Link Posted: 4/13/2012 11:32:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#35]
It's smoked and cured 'ready to cook' Half-Ham. If that changes anything.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks Chef!
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#37]
It's smoked and cured 'ready to cook' Half-Ham. If that changes anything.

Thanks for the advice.

It does, but, remember you're just heating it up and not really cooking it..
DO get your core temp to 160 degrees and you're good
Chef
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By chris8938:
Thanks Chef!

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok Chef

went hog hunting in Texas this last week (FUN FUN FUN)
got a small piglet (ok ok ok, the wife got way more pigs than me, not even close), and it's gutted, skinned and cleaned

maybe 10lbs as is.  (on the bone, head off, etc)

was thinking should be able to just cook it whole.

help!!!!

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 12:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#40]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
Ok Chef

went hog hunting in Texas this last week (FUN FUN FUN)
got a small piglet (ok ok ok, the wife got way more pigs than me, not even close), and it's gutted, skinned and cleaned

maybe 10lbs as is.  (on the bone, head off, etc)

was thinking should be able to just cook it whole.

help!!!!

Working a funshow!!
roast to 160. Internal temp as any pork roast.
Stuffed w/ onion potato apples is yum

Chef

OK

back from funshow..sorry I couldnt get more percice with my rubber tipped pen and Pantech Phone screen..

WILD MEAT SOAK and TENDORIZER
Aas I have remended in the past for chickens and pork coming home from the grocer,  a viniger bath,  is recomended for all wild game.
Skin and Debone or Quarter the animals out and place the meat in a large sink, bathtub, ice chest with the following mixture.
1 to 2 gallons of ICE WATER!! Along with 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar and a medium or large (16 - 20 oz) size container or real lemon juice.
Soak large portions of meat for 1 or 2 3 days changing the water as needed and keeping the water ICE COLD and all meat covered with the ice water. Soak the meat till it turns white and all blood is leached out. this will take a lot of the "wild" taste from the meat that many conmplain about,
, if the meat begins to darken or turn blue then you have much vinegar! The meat is not spoiled!! Change the ice water and reduce or eliminate the vinegar.

Smoking (slow cooking Quarters or Whole Hogs
This is the most common and preferred way for preparing wild pork.  
 use seasonings such as lemons, peppers, onions, potatos, and any other seasonings that suit your taste and get that part taken care of.
Completely wrap the meat so the vapors are locked in as well as possible and the drippings will not escape.
 Slow smoke (or bake) at about 275 - 300 degrees turning or rotating as needed to insure even cooking. The time will vary greatly depending on the size.
Whole hogs should cook overnight or all day. Quarters will usually cook in 5 - 6 hours.
If your wanting to serve the meat in slices you should cook it till you notice that the meat is about ready to fall of the bone and has become very tender. At that point you would unwrap the meat and brown and baste to firm up the meat.
If you're wanting the meat extremely tender and juicy then it should remain covered and cooked till it falls off the bone.

Heres a real recipe for a leg, should be excellent for your piglet...

One 6-pound leg of wild boar*
1/4 cup coarse sea salt
1/4 cup coarsely ground black pepper

For the marinade:
4 cups hearty red wine
2 dried imported bay leaves
40 sprigs fresh thyme, rinsed
20 black peppercorns
6 cloves
1 carrot, trimmed, peeled, and cut in 1/4-inch chunks
1 medium onion, cut in eighths
1/4 cup best-quality red wine vinegar

To roast the wild boar:
20 whole cloves
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil

For the sauce:
2 cups chicken or veal stock
3 tablespoons red current jelly

1. Rub the leg of wild boar all over with the salt and the pepper. Place it in a shallow dish, cover it loosely, and refrigerate it for 36 hours.

2. Bring the wine, the herbs and spices, and the vegetables to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Strain, reserving the bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns and cloves, and discarding the vegetables.

Whisk in the vinegar.

3. Quickly rinse the salt and pepper from the boar to remove most but not all of it. Pat meat dry and place it in a shallow dish. Pour the cooled marinade over it, return it to the refrigerator, loosely covered, and let it marinate for 36 hours, turning it at least four times.

4. Preheat the oven to 450°F.

5. Remove the leg of wild boar from the marinade and pat it dry. Make 20 tiny slits in it all over, and insert a clove into each slit. Transfer the boar to a baking dish, and pour one-fourth of the marinade over it. Roast in the center of the oven until the boar is very golden on the outside, and when you cut into it it is a very faint pink, but not in the least red, which will take about 2 hours. Check it occasionally to be sure the marinade hasn't completely evaporated, and pour the additional marinade over the roast, one-fourth at a time.

6. When the boar is roasted remove it from the oven, and set it on a platter in warm spot, loosely covered, to sit for at least 20 minutes so the juices have a chance to retreat back into the meat. To prepare the sauce, transfer the cooking juice and any browned bits from the bottom of the baking dish to a medium sized saucepan. Whisk in the chicken or veal stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce by about one-fourth, then stir in the red current jelly. Continue cooking and whisking until the sauce is smooth and satiny, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

7. Before slicing the boar remove as many of the cloves as possible. Thinly slice the wild boar and arrange it on a platter. Garnish with flat-leaf parsley leaves. Either pour the sauce over the meat, or serve it on the side.

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Alright Chef,
I just posted this in GD.  I bought a leg of lamb.  My daughter (5 yo) had some at Mt. Vernon last Easter and LOVED it.  How best to prepare?  It's a bone-in
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Alright Chef,
I just posted this in GD.  I bought a leg of lamb.  My daughter (5 yo) had some at Mt. Vernon last Easter and LOVED it.  How best to prepare?  It's a bone-in

Someone is raising a daughter with expensive taste...
MINE Loves lamb, black buck antelope, Giant Sea Scallops and CRAB LEGS, and not those skimpy Queen snow crabs..
those BIG DAMN Alaskan Kings ONLY!
gets expensive when they're teenagers...

2 1/2 pounds (about 15) plum tomatoes, sliced thick
10 ounces mushrooms, quartered
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, halved, with the skin left on
2 shallots with the skin intact
2 heads of garlic, the outer skin removed, leaving the cloves attached at the root end
1/4 pound red pearl onions (available at specialty produce markets) or white pearl onions, blanched in boiling water for 3 minutes, drained, and peeled
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 fresh orégano sprigs
2 fresh thyme sprigs
6 tablespoons olive oil
a 6-pound leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat
mixed baby vegetables as an accompaniment
fresh mint sprigs for garnish

large roasting pan stir together the tomatoes, the mushrooms, the bell pepper, the yellow onion, the shallots, the garlic, the pearl onions, the rosemary, orégano, and thyme sprig, 1/4 cup of the oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the lamb, patted dry, on top of the vegetable mixture, drizzle it with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and season it with salt and pepper. Roast the lamb and the vegetables in the middle of a preheated 450°F. oven for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350°F., and roast the lamb and stirring the vegetables every 20 minutes, for 1 hour and 20 minutes more, or until the lamb registers 145°F. on a meat thermometer for medium-rare meat.

Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and let it stand, covered loosely with foil, for 15 minutes. Reserve the pearl onions for the mixed baby vegetables. Transfer the lamb to a platter, spoon the baby vegetables around it, and garnish the lamb with the mint sprigs.

IF you;re an apt griller..

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano (preferably Greek), crumbled
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 (4 1/2- to 5-lb) butterflied boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of fat

Combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper in sealable plastic bag. Add lamb and seal bag, pressing out air. Turn bag to coat lamb, then put bag in a shallow baking pan and marinate, chilled, turning bag over occasionally, at least 8 hours.

Bring lamb to room temperature, about 1 hour, before grilling.

Prepare grill for cooking over direct heat with medium-hot charcoal (moderate heat for gas); see Grilling Procedure

Remove lamb from marinade (discard marinade) and run 3 or 4 skewers lengthwise through lamb about 2 inches apart. Grill on a lightly oiled grill rack, covered only if using gas grill, turning over occasionally and, if necessary, moving around on grill to avoid flare-ups, until thermometer registers 125 to 128°F, 8 to 14 minutes total for medium-rare.

Transfer lamb to a cutting board and remove skewers. Let lamb stand, loosely covered with foil, 20 minutes. (Internal temperature will rise to 135°F while meat stands.) Cut across the grain into slices

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife is on a kick for Brussels Sprouts after having some from a restaurant... Maple flavored oddness.  I have tested them with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil broiling them in the oven or on the stove.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DazedFred:
My wife is on a kick for Brussels Sprouts after having some from a restaurant... Maple flavored oddness.  I have tested them with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil broiling them in the oven or on the stove.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

thank you,
think thats the first question on sprouts to date..good one

while a child, I was once served brussel sprouts by my mother on a friday night, as an adventurous eater even in my youth, I gleefully tried these little "baby cabbages"
and promptly spit them across the room into my elder brothers face

Mother, being the old school task master she was, demanded I clean that up and informed me that I would eat my sprouts or would not be able to leave the table.
(she was wise to me by then and I was a horribly abused youngest child) so, I Sat..sat and stared at those horrible little green balls and sat, stared and eventully fell asleep an hour or two later though in my little head it was the stroke of midnight before I succumbed to sleep, I'd show them!!!!

I woke the next morning in my bed, went to the kitchen for my breakfast and found the oatmeal, bacon, eggs and other morning Saturday morning breakfast goodness at the table.
(Saturday was HUGE Breakfast but no lunch, fruit and veggies were available in the icebox if you were peckish and then an early dinner in my parents house of my youth)

When I took my seat, Mother presented me my breakfast..a heaping bowl of cold brussel sprouts..
in actuallity there were probably 3 sprouts in the bowl, but to me they looked MASSIVE and a dozen or more..

I knew there would be no escaping that bowl of evil at this point, Father was now involved and giving me the stink eye, he informed me that he and my brothers were off to an adventure of one flavor or another, (probably shooting) and I would be sitting at table until the sprouts were gone,,at this point, my brothers were actually laughing at me and telling me what a grand ol time I was going to miss...

THAT wasnt going to fly,
I Hated being mocked then nearly as much as I do today..so!

I solved the problem by asking if I could have a single, smoky, crisp slice of bacon to help the task along...I stuffed sprouts and bacon into my mouth and started to chew
and discoved the two were a rather pleasant combination and became a life long fan of sprouts..
Today I like them parboiled, halved and saute'd with garlic, butter and a heavy dusting of  black pepper..

CHEF

sprouts with pancetta and garlic

Ingredients
3 cups water
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces pancetta bacon, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add Brussels sprouts, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. They should still be slightly firm. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Slice the sprouts in half, and set aside.
2. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and pancetta; cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until garlic is lightly browned. Add the remaining olive oil and Brussels sprouts. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring until the sprouts are well coated with the flavor. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 more minutes before serving.

with bacon and gorgonzola

Ingredients
4 slices bacon
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, or to taste

Directions
1. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon, but leave the drippings; blot the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble when cool.
2. Stir the onion and salt into the hot fat over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in the water and Dijon mustard. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the water comes to a boil. Scrape the pan to dissolve the brown bits in the water. Add the Brussels sprouts and vinegar. Cook, stirring often, until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Toss with bacon and Gorgonzola cheese crumbles to serve.

sprouts with honey dijon

Ingredients
10 Brussels sprouts, halved
1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pinch dried dill weed
1 pinch onion powder

Directions
1. Place Brussels sprouts into a saucepan filled with lightly salted water.
2. Boil over medium high heat until Brussels sprouts are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
3. Mix butter, honey, Dijon mustard, dill weed, and onion powder in a large bowl.
4. Toss Brussels sprouts in mustard mixture to coat.

Pickled sprouts

Ingredients
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
5 1-pint canning jars with lids and rings
5 cloves garlic, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes, divided
5 cups water
5 cups distilled white vinegar
7 tablespoons pickling salt

Directions
1. Soak Brussels sprouts in a large bowl filled with lightly salted water for about 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
3. Divide the drained Brussels sprouts evenly between jars, filling the jars about 3/4-inch from the top.
4. Place 1 garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in each jar.
5. Bring vinegar, water, and pickling salt to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat until the salt is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
6. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top.
7. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles.
8. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
9. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot, and fill stockpot halfway with water.
10. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
11. Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool.
12. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area, and wait at least 3 weeks before opening.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DazedFred:

thank you,
think thats the first question on sprouts to date..good one

while a child, I was once served brussel sprouts by my mother on a friday night, as an adventurous eater even in my youth, I gleefully tried these little "baby cabbages"
and promptly spit them across the room into my elder brothers face

Mother, being the old school task master she was, demanded I clean that up and informed me that I would eat my sprouts or would not be able to leave the table.
(she was wise to me by then and I was a horribly abused youngest child) so, I Sat..sat and stared at those horrible little green balls and sat, stared and eventully fell asleep an hour or two later though in my little head it was the stroke of midnight before I succumbed to sleep, I'd show them!!!!

I woke the next morning in my bed, went to the kitchen for my breakfast and found the oatmeal, bacon, eggs and other morning Saturday morning breakfast goodness at the table.
(Saturday was HUGE Breakfast but no lunch, fruit and veggies were available in the icebox if you were peckish and then an early dinner in my parents house of my youth)

When I took my seat, Mother presented me my breakfast..a heaping bowl of cold brussel sprouts..
in actuallity there were probably 3 sprouts in the bowl, but to me they looked MASSIVE and a dozen or more..

I knew there would be no escaping that bowl of evil at this point, Father was now involved and giving me the stink eye, he informed me that he and my brothers were off to an adventure of one flavor or another, (probably shooting) and I would be sitting at table until the sprouts were gone,,at this point, my brothers were actually laughing at me and telling me what a grand ol time I was going to miss...

THAT wasnt going to fly,
I Hated being mocked then nearly as much as I do today..so!

I solved the problem by asking if I could have a single, smoky, crisp slice of bacon to help the task along...I stuffed sprouts and bacon into my mouth and started to chew
and discoved the two were a rather pleasant combination and became a life long fan of sprouts..
Today I like them parboiled, halved and saute'd with garlic, butter and a heavy dusting of  black pepper..

CHEF

sprouts with pancetta and garlic

Ingredients
3 cups water
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces pancetta bacon, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add Brussels sprouts, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. They should still be slightly firm. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Slice the sprouts in half, and set aside.
2. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and pancetta; cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until garlic is lightly browned. Add the remaining olive oil and Brussels sprouts. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring until the sprouts are well coated with the flavor. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 more minutes before serving.

with bacon and gorgonzola

Ingredients
4 slices bacon
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, or to taste

Directions
1. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon, but leave the drippings; blot the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble when cool.
2. Stir the onion and salt into the hot fat over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in the water and Dijon mustard. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the water comes to a boil. Scrape the pan to dissolve the brown bits in the water. Add the Brussels sprouts and vinegar. Cook, stirring often, until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Toss with bacon and Gorgonzola cheese crumbles to serve.

sprouts with honey dijon

Ingredients
10 Brussels sprouts, halved
1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pinch dried dill weed
1 pinch onion powder

Directions
1. Place Brussels sprouts into a saucepan filled with lightly salted water.
2. Boil over medium high heat until Brussels sprouts are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
3. Mix butter, honey, Dijon mustard, dill weed, and onion powder in a large bowl.
4. Toss Brussels sprouts in mustard mixture to coat.

Pickled sprouts

Ingredients
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
5 1-pint canning jars with lids and rings
5 cloves garlic, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes, divided
5 cups water
5 cups distilled white vinegar
7 tablespoons pickling salt

Directions
1. Soak Brussels sprouts in a large bowl filled with lightly salted water for about 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
3. Divide the drained Brussels sprouts evenly between jars, filling the jars about 3/4-inch from the top.
4. Place 1 garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in each jar.
5. Bring vinegar, water, and pickling salt to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat until the salt is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
6. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top.
7. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles.
8. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
9. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot, and fill stockpot halfway with water.
10. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
11. Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool.
12. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area, and wait at least 3 weeks before opening.

Thanks!  I didn't enjoy them as a kid at all, luckily I got away with not eating them a little easier than you did.  I think as I got older and my wife decided she liked them I have began to eat them... They just need some work.  Thanks again for the recipes.  I think I will try Brussels with bacon and gorgonzola, since bacon can only make them better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Chef, wanted to give you an AAR on the ham. I borrowed a roasting pan from a neighbor and soaked it in gingerale over night. Roasted it at 350 with some gingerale in the bottom of the pan. After 2 hours it was up around 150, so I coated it in a mix of honey, brown sugar, and yellow mustard and let it go for another 30 min. when I checked it again it was around 170 so I pulled it out.

Turned out very tasty and tender. I cut it into large chucks and froze most of it for later use.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Chef, wanted to give you an AAR on the ham. I borrowed a roasting pan from a neighbor and soaked it in gingerale over night. Roasted it at 350 with some gingerale in the bottom of the pan. After 2 hours it was up around 150, so I coated it in a mix of honey, brown sugar, and yellow mustard and let it go for another 30 min. when I checked it again it was around 170 so I pulled it out.

Turned out very tasty and tender. I cut it into large chucks and froze most of it for later use.

thank you for the feedback.

The honey, brown sugar and mustard mix is pretty old school stuff..as are orange slices and clove,,both offer a nice light flavoring addition..

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:45:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#48]
Chef, I just tried a no-rise bread recipe from http://craftykin.blogspot.com/

Quick bread, buns or pizza base ::

2 ½ C warm water
6 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp yeast
2 Tbsp oil
6 C flour (can use white or wholemeal)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Stir water, yeast, sugar and oil together. Leave for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy on top. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well. Knead. Roll out if making a pizza base or shape for use as buns / bread / loaf. Paint with oil or milk (if you can be bothered). Bake at 200 degrees Celcius for 10-15 minutes.

I subbed honey for the sugar on 1:1

Actually a half recipe in case I screwed it up the first time.I kneaded it flat with the intention of making bread sticks. After 12 minutes at 425* (too high, oops) the inside still had a doughy section in the very middle. Since the outside was getting a little too crispy I turned the heat off and left it in the oven for 10 more minutes. It was good, but I may try 350* for more time next time.

Since I was planning on bread strips, do you have any favorite dipping sauces? If I wanted to make a butter-garlic sauce, what would you use?

thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Chef, I just tried a no-rise bread recipe from http://craftykin.blogspot.com/

Quick bread, buns or pizza base ::

2 ½ C warm water
6 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp yeast
2 Tbsp oil
6 C flour (can use white or wholemeal)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Stir water, yeast, sugar and oil together. Leave for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy on top. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well. Knead. Roll out if making a pizza base or shape for use as buns / bread / loaf. Paint with oil or milk (if you can be bothered). Bake at 200 degrees Celcius for 10-15 minutes.

I subbed honey for the sugar on 1:1

Actually a half recipe in case I screwed it up the first time.I kneaded it flat with the intention of making bread sticks. After 12 minutes at 425* (too high, oops) the inside still had a doughy section in the very middle. Since the outside was getting a little too crispy I turned the heat off and left it in the oven for 10 more minutes. It was good, but I may try 350* for more time next time.

Since I was planning on bread strips, do you have any favorite dipping sauces? If I wanted to make a butter-garlic sauce, what would you use?

thanks!

BEEN TOOOOOO BUSY..

sorry

here is a garlic butter on the fly...

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon fines herbs
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
ground black pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley, or to taste

In a bowl, mix together the butter, Parmesan cheese, garlic, marjoram, basil, fines herbs mix, oregano, black pepper, and parsley until thoroughly combined.

this can be warmed a bit so it is soupy with out spreading apart OR spread soft/slightly chilled on fresh hot bread.
and an olive oil dip

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon crushed dried oregano
fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Directions
1. Pour the olive oil onto a salad plate. Use a garlic press to press the garlic cloves onto five different spots on the plate. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the oil and garlic. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and oregano. Season with black pepper
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 39
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 12 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top