Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 50
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Skunkum:
Chef,

Glad the health care is keeping you on the green side of the grass, and thanks one more time for all of your insights.  I think I'm going to try applesauce in my waffles tomorrow!

let us know how that works out...
they may cook faster than your use to,, be aware..
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Chef Morris,

I have most of a pint of buttermilk left over from making bleu cheese dressing.
Can you give me a recipe that isn't either biscuits, pancakes or bread/carb to
use it up?

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By ColonelHurtz:
Chef Morris,

I have most of a pint of buttermilk left over from making bleu cheese dressing.
Can you give me a recipe that isn't either biscuits, pancakes or bread/carb to
use it up?

Colonel Hurtz

ok,,,now were stumpiing the Chef....Colonel
not alot of usage for buttermilk beyond baked goods, dressings and marinades for chicken, tough cuts of beef or pork it is also good for melting with cheese to make quesos and fondues or

Pana Cotta
sort of a gelled cream dessert...

Blueberry Buttermilk Panna Cotta

Ingredients (serves 4):

200 ml cream

4 tsp sugar

1 vanilla bean

100 ml buttermilk

150g blueberries

2 sheets gelatine

for decoration: white chocolate

Heat the cream, add the sugar and a lengthwise sliced vanilla bean (and the scraped out vanilla seeds). Let it lightly cook for about 15 minutes and stir every now and then. Remove the vanilla pod from the pot and the pot from the heat.

Meanwhile soak the sheets of gelatin in some water (for about 10 min). Squeeze well. Add them to the cream mixture and stir thoroughly until the gelatin has completely dissolved.

Put the blueberries together with the buttermilk in a blender, mix until you get a smooth puree, then pour the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Finally add the puree to the cream, stir well and divide up the cream-fruit-mix into four molds. Chill for at least 8 hours, better over night.

To unmold the panna cotta, briefly dip the form in hot water and carefully flip it over on a plate. Decorate either with melted white chocolate or some chocolate flakes (scrapped from a bar of chocolate) - we found the chocolate to be the perfect companion.

Annotation: This is a very nice variation of panna cotta, the color is so rich and extravagant. It’s taste is perfect for a summer dessert, mild and creamy on the one hand, fruity with a little tartish aftertaste on the other hand. The unmolding part wasn’t as easy as with the regular recipe, probably due to the modified composition (with fruit puree). But I rather have problems unmolding it than using too much gelatin, the creamier the panna cotta, the better. And if the panna cotta refuses to come out of its mold at all costs - where’s the problem, you can serve them in nice little pots as well

lastly
you can bathe with it, good for your skin..
mix it into saving cream with mug and brush helps defoliate
wash your hair with it to add protiens and to strip your old grease, oils and gels/sprays off the shafts..
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 9:53:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Feral] [#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Feral:
Good morning, Chef.

Here's an easy one for you.....

I pulled two roasts out of the freezer several days ago.......a rump and a top round. I was planning to make both into jerky, but as I'm looking at them it looks like the rump roast is suboptimal for that enterprise.

So I plan to put the rump roast in my Ronco rotisserie---- later today. What would you suggest as a nice "pretreatment" for this roast........herb rub? spice rub? Nothing at all? Other?

ETA: I don't have to make it in the rotisserie if you have a different suggestion. If I was just feeding myself, I'd likely just throw it in the slow cooker, but Mrsferal prefers roast beef over stewed beef.

I picked up a George Foreman Rotisserie a few years ago, after my last divorce,,she got the bigger ronco one...they are GREAT set it and forget it...hell works for me...but,,not a big fan of Rump...well,,some rumps...Jlo's,,Sandra bullock's, my last wife.... but,,roasting,,,I would prefer a stewed or braised method with this cut

if you gotta roast...classic way,,Sea salt, course ground black pepper, Garlic Powder,
                          an asian flavor by adding 5 spice with above

braising,,,a nice asian flavor could work for a little something different..

ASIAN POT ROAST
Time: 3 to 4 hours

1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
1 3- to 4-pound piece of brisket or boneless chuck
1/3 cup dark soy sauce (or 1/2 cup light soy sauce)
5 nickel-size slices ginger (peeling is not necessary)
4 star anise
2 to 3 cups peeled and cubed rutabaga or white turnip or parsnips
1/2 cup trimmed and minced scallions.

1. Place oil in a large skillet, and turn heat to high. A minute later, add meat, cover the pan loosely to reduce spattering and sear about five minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Meanwhile, combine soy, ginger, star anise and 2 cups of water in a casserole big enough to fit the meat snugly. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.

2. When the meat is browned, add it to casserole and cover. Cook, turning meat once or twice an hour and adding more water if necessary, for about 3 hours, or until meat is just about tender -- or until a thin-bladed knife inserted into the meat meets little resistance. Fish out star anise, and add rutabaga or turnip, stirring to make sure it is coated with liquid (again, add more water if necessary). Re-cover, and cook until rutabaga is very tender, 30 minutes.

3. Remove meat, and slice very thin. Either return it to the pot or place it on a platter with the sauce and rutabaga. Garnish with scallions and serve, preferably with white rice.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Variation: For a European pot roast with carrots, substitute olive oil for peanut oil, carrots or for rutabagas and chopped parsley for scallions. For the liquid and flavorings, use 2 cups red wine, 20 peeled pearl onions, 5 cloves of peeled and lightly smashed garlic and 1 cup trimmed, chopped mushrooms. Add more wine (or water) if necessary to the pot as the meat cooks. Serve on buttered noodles or with crispy bread.

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Greetings Chef,

Thanks for the advice on the roast.

(I actually ended up cubing it and making beef stew as I have no star anise or whole ginger.....but I appreciate your input nonetheless.)

Here's another query for you......

My freezer is filling up with pheasants and I'm looking for suggestions. I usually cook them in a clay pot with some bacon covering the breasts.

Alternatives?

Feral your quit welcome..

no star anise?? no fresh ginger?? yeah Gods...what kind of kind of kitchen do you keep Feral???

having the,,,,,cough,,open pantry cough availibility of working in commercial kitchens,,I have little stashes of all kinds of spices,,probably a dozen or so pieces of star anise in my home stash as I speak,,as well as spanish saffron, 5 spice, jerk seasoning etc,,
I dont always think what the majority of folks have in there kitchens

as far as fresh ginger,,if you like an asian influence on occasions..I keep a tube of chopped fresh ginger in my refer next to the same size tube of chopped basil, garlic, etc that is readily available at most major supermarkets..for a few dollars..check em out these keep a few months and fun to play with when "cooking the same old thing" comes to mind.

pheasant,,,filling up the freezer...trying to make me jealous????

try grilling for a change...heres 2 presentations..

Grilled Pheasant
INGREDIENTS:
1 pheasant, 2-3 pounds
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
PREPARATION:
Rinse pheasant and pat dry with paper towel. Take kitchen shears or sharp knife and cut pheasant into quarters. Place pieces in a resealable plastic bag. Combine remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
Pour mixture over pheasant, seal bag, and allow to marinate in refrigerator for 6-12 hours.
Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Remove pheasant from plastic bag, reserving marinade. Place pieces on lightly oiled grill rack and allow to cook for 15 minutes basting occasionally with marinade. Reduce to medium heat and continue basting for another 15 minutes. Let bird cook for a total of 1 hour. Remove from heat and serve with some grilled veggies and a wild greens salad

Pheasant Gyros
Step 1: In a small bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients. Poke the pheasant or quail with a fork a few times, pour the marinade over the meat, and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before cooking.

Step 2: Mix all ingredients for cucumber sauce and set aside.

Step 3: The Veggies & Feta
Cut up tomatos, lettuce and onions in small pieces. Have feta cheese grated or crumbled. Cover and set aside...

Step 4: Cooking the Pheasant
Before cooking the pheasant, turn on your oven at 400 degrees 10 minutes prior to cooking...
In a pan, add some olive oil and coat it. Let it heat up a bit. Place the pheasant and cook in medium heat till nice and brown. Turn off. Tightly cover meat with foil so it won't get cold.

Step 5: Pita Bread

Take the pita bread or flat bread and place in oven for two minutes. The bread will be nice and hot but not hard and crunchy. Take out the bread and cover with foil immediately to not let the bread get cold.

Step 6: Build a Gyro

1. Place pita bread on the plate.

2. Grab some pheasant or quail and add the cucumber sauce.

3. Add a little tomato, lettuce, onion and feta on top.

4. Fold in half and enjoy with a side of fries!!!

Marinade for pheasant:
1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary

Cucumber Sauce:
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cucumber peeled, grated and drained
2 cloves garlic, crushed
juice of 1/2 lemon, about 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons salt and white pepper to taste pinch ground cayenne pepper

This recipe can be used with quail, chukkers, pigeons as well.

and thanks,,,tell your friends where to find me...

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 2:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Feral] [#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
hope it works out for you...
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi Chef,

I have another question.  What is the difference in cooking a prime rib when you initially roast it at a high temperature then reduce the temperature for the balance of the cooking time versus the opposite?  Which is best?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By seabass:
Hi Chef,

I have another question.  What is the difference in cooking a prime rib when you initially roast it at a high temperature then reduce the temperature for the balance of the cooking time versus the opposite?  Which is best?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

A Merry Christmas to you as well,,and to answers your questions...
which is best,,easy, the one you like..

why high heat then lower temps
high heat sears the outside of the meat so as to trap juices inside while you finish the slow cooking process with lower heat,,giveing you a moister finished product,,

the low temp method gives you a more consistant cooking finish and less shrinkage but in truth a bit dryer product in my experience.

hope this helped,,thanks

Link Posted: 12/26/2007 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]

--Start with all ingredients at the same temperature and in room temperature water
--Avoid powdered spices in favor of whole leaf herbs
--Old ingredients (NOT spoiled.....just old) are not a bad thing for stock
--Cook long and slow
--If you have to add water along the way, make sure there's plenty of time after the addition for everything to meld together again

What other things would you pass along?

Hello, Feral,,I hope you had a Merry Christmas as well and a kind and profitable 2008...

your stock methods sound fine and will make great soups and sauces...sounds like you have done it once or twice..
things to add

using cooked bones is always best, gives a more even color and reduces risk of bitterness.. if possible,,Crack joint and leg bones to allow marrow to cook out

I usually only add herbs and such the last hour of cooking as you will actully cook flavor away from herbs and,,long cooked herbs can be bitter..IE fresh oregano leaves a clean savory taste placed on the tounge,,canned it leaves a bitter after taste.
lastly on herbs, stocks are used for so many things that to me in adding herbs to a stock,,it makes too many things "taste the same" as the basis seasoning is the same
I only use celery, onion, parsely, carrots in creating stocks.

In the old school way, I add egg shells to stocks: for some reason it helps create a clearer stock...I dont know why, maybe my imagination..but,,a habit at least and I think it works

after removing bones and such,,rinse pot, return stock to pot, bring to a boil once for 5 min and strain, then allow to sit and cool a bit ,allow it settle so sludge floats to the bottom,,
boiling will allow a final kill of any bacteria that may be in the stock as cooking at a low temp even a simmer there are areas of the pot not as hot that allows bacterial growth

I skim from the top down, gently so as not to bring the sludge from the bottom,,the top clear stock is for white sauces and such and the stuff from the lower third of the pot for soups and gravies where clairity wont matter so much..

I Never salt stocks, some do.,.I dont salt until final taste before presentation..
salt breaks down,,and you end up adding more and more..the salt is still in the food., I  am salt sensitive and only use it on cooked eggs and potatoes, beyond that very little as far as picking up the salt celler at  table..and moderatly when preparing for foods for others..

lastly; in adding water, yes you need to give it atleast 30 min to reconstitute full flavor but remember,,the greater the reduction,,the smaller amount you need to enhance foods,,
you can take that lower third and reduce that to nearly a paste and freeze in ice cube trays and use it as you would boullin.

beyond that,,I think you got it...

Link Posted: 12/26/2007 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Morning Chef.... hope you had a great Christmas.  I have another question for you (kind of after the fact....)

We made a great Prime Rib yesterday (okay, it was actually a 'Choice' Rib, but who'd paying attention, right?) and it was FABULOUS.  However, I usually end up making our accompanying Au Jus from a mix (please don't beat me).  I can make great gravy from drippings of turkeys, roasts, etc, but au jus is just not my thing.  I guess I just don't know enough about it.  FTR, I couldn't cook any kind of meat worth a damn until I married my husband.  It just wasn't my thing.  I'm getting better, but good still use some tips from the pros.

So how do you make GREAT, but simple, au jus?  One more request though- I found recipes for it involving reduced red wine, and I can't stand wine.  Even in sauces for the most part, so could you tell me how to make it without any wines?  The steakhouse we usually go to has a good one, but I don't know how to recreate it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Bed_Head:
Morning Chef.... hope you had a great Christmas.  I have another question for you (kind of after the fact....)

We made a great Prime Rib yesterday (okay, it was actually a 'Choice' Rib, but who'd paying attention, right?) and it was FABULOUS.  However, I usually end up making our accompanying Au Jus from a mix (please don't beat me).  I can make great gravy from drippings of turkeys, roasts, etc, but au jus is just not my thing.  I guess I just don't know enough about it.  FTR, I couldn't cook any kind of meat worth a damn until I married my husband.  It just wasn't my thing.  I'm getting better, but good still use some tips from the pros.

So how do you make GREAT, but simple, au jus?  One more request though- I found recipes for it involving reduced red wine, and I can't stand wine.  Even in sauces for the most part, so could you tell me how to make it without any wines?  The steakhouse we usually go to has a good one, but I don't know how to recreate it.

Thanks!

Thank you and I hope your Christmas was merry and that 2008 is kind to you and yours..
my Christmas, after working 38 of 56 of them,,being home with no kids this year...was,,just another day...but,,life goes on...

now,,au jus,,one of the most simple, basic "sauces/gravies" and sooooo easy to mess up as well...especially by using mixes
seriously,,I have 2 or 3 packets of dry gravy on the shelf at home and Knorr swiss makes a demi powder that is pretty damn close to scratch trust me even the pros just screw up at times and instant comes to the rescue..of course you have to fix it...

ok, back to AU Jus...
{you should be using a roasting pan with at least a 2" wall..}

first Prep a few cups of water hot and ready to go. dependant on the amount of Jus you intend to make add a cube of bullion or stock pellet per cup and blend wellbullion makes a consistant Jus and is optional but I think the flavor accent is well worth it
[nearly everyone todays uses bases to instill and or enhance flavor]
if you use water only, you can only get about 1/2 cup of aujus or you will only have watery yuck, adding a "beef base" you can get 2 or more cups

remove the beef from the pan and set it aside to rest for 20 to 30 min before cutting..

remove any veggies you have in the pan,
even for prime rib I put carrots celery and onion under the roast and a few potatos on the side for tomorrows left over reheats.and it improves the flavoring and consistany of your au jus.

drain the fat from the roasting pan being careful not to lose any juice,,
if you have a seperating cup, this is what it is for save the juices, lose the fats

next place the roasting pan on the stove top, start medium heat on under the pan
using a whip scrape any and all "crusty or burnt" residue from bottom and sides of pan, slowly add a bit of the stock mix at a time and the juice you may have saved,,until pan is deglazed and or looks like you have all the "good stuff" cooking together
you can then bring to a boil and use as is or
strain through a very fine strainer and serve or
at the boiling point thicken a little with some cornstarch not to the point of gravy but,,the culinary term of double dip glaze,,meaning you can dip a spoon and it glazes the spoon immediatly then dip again and see a second coat glazing the first..then strain and serve..

use of darkening agents or browning such as kitchen boquet are added last,,remember this is very salty and the taste by itself is a kodak moment and takes some practice in its use..but gives a dark consistant color..

looks like alot but isnt,,

remove fat
heat pan and scrape
add boulion stir
strain
thicken or not
serve

hope this is what you seek..and thanks for asking...
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 8:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bed_Head] [#16]
Thanks.  I usually make my gravies by deglazing the pan and using the drippings, but I though au jus was more difficult than that.  It's just gravy without being thickened, eh?

Thank you much.  I'll do it that way next time.

eta:  might have to get some kitchen bouquet.....
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Chef-thank you for the clarification between white sauce and roux. Excellent!!

My favorite Cranberry Relish recipe

1 bag of fresh cranberries, throughly rinsed
1 large Red delicious apple, cut into to quarters, no need to seed
1 med sized orange, throughly clean off the rind––that's going in too!
1-2 stalks celery scrubbed and cut up
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup sugar

Take apple, orange, and celery put in food processor until somewhat combined. Add cranberries and continue to process until consistency you prefer is reached. Add walnut, process again. Add sugar more or less to your preference. Chill overnight and serve.

You don't really have to add the ingrediants in any particular order except the walnut should always be one of the very last items to avoid a mealy texture. This is my preference because I think the first items need more processing than the cranberries.

This should be a tart dish. If you find you enjoy it tart/semi-sweet you may find yourself on the receiving end of comments on how you should sweeten it up. Don't worry!!! This isn't supposed to be a syrupy sweet dish.
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
chef,

i want your chicken & dumplin recipe.

please?

Link Posted: 11/7/2008 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RN22lr:
Chef-thank you for the clarification between white sauce and roux. Excellent!!

My favorite Cranberry Relish recipe

1 bag of fresh cranberries, throughly rinsed
1 large Red delicious apple, cut into to quarters, no need to seed
1 med sized orange, throughly clean off the rind––that's going in too!
1-2 stalks celery scrubbed and cut up
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup sugar

Take apple, orange, and celery put in food processor until somewhat combined. Add cranberries and continue to process until consistency you prefer is reached. Add walnut, process again. Add sugar more or less to your preference. Chill overnight and serve.

You don't really have to add the ingrediants in any particular order except the walnut should always be one of the very last items to avoid a mealy texture. This is my preference because I think the first items need more processing than the cranberries.

This should be a tart dish. If you find you enjoy it tart/semi-sweet you may find yourself on the receiving end of comments on how you should sweeten it up. Don't worry!!! This isn't supposed to be a syrupy sweet dish.

youre very welcome...and that looks like a great relish...
I wouldnt food process it all though , I would just mince the apple, celery, dice the orange and process the cranberries only..then let it sit over night and break its self down.then just before service, add the nuts and maybe suger it if needed.
.you could cut the sugar at least in half that way, even all the way out. the Orange and cranberry will break down the celery and apple a bit, giving it a more defined look on your finish..

Thanks, Chef
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tlee_20:
chef,

i want your chicken & dumplin recipe.

please?

Ingredients
Chicken:
3  tablespoons oil
1/3  cup  all-purpose flour
3/4  teaspoon  salt
1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
12 to 16oz  skinless chicken  
4  cups  thinly sliced leek, rinsed and drained
4  cups  chicken broth
1 1/2  cups  baby carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2  cup  chopped parsnip
1/2  cup  chopped celery
1  teaspoon  chopped fresh thyme
1  bay leaf
1/2  cup  frozen petite peas, thawed

Dumplings:
1 1/3  cups  all-purpose flour
2  teaspoons  baking powder
1/4  teaspoon  salt
3/4  cup  plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
2  tablespoons  chopped fresh chives (optional)
Preparation

Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge the chicken in flour mixture, and turn to coat; shake off excess flour. Add the chicken to the pot; cook 3 minutes on each side, or until well-browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.

Add leeks to pot; cook over medium heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Return chicken to pot, and stir in broth, carrots, parsnips, celery, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Partially cover; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from pan. Pull the meat from bones; discard bones. Return the chicken to the pot, and stir in peas.

To prepare the dumplings, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt 3 times (this makes the dumplings very light). Combine the flour mixture, milk, and chives, and stir until moist.

Drop dough by  teaspoonfuls into a barely simmering chicken mixture. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 12 minutes, or until the dumplings are done (do not bring to a boil, or the dumplings will break up).

and IF you are in a hurry, kids hungry, rushed home from work, not feeling your best,,this is what was served at the house more than once and it was actually preferred by the kids when little.. cheaters method. this is a give or take, throw together recipe,

3 cans cream of chicken soup and one can of milk,
1 can of pillsburry buscuits
1 pound of pulled chicken from the refer, the rotissere, cleaned up fried from last night
1 cup of  frozen peas and carrot blend
1 sm can drained Mushrooms
on small diced onion
1 tsp of oil

saute in bottom of 3qt dutch oven/pot the onion,
when onion is clear, add your soup and milk and mix, on medium heat, bring to a slow simmer stirring enough to keep it from sticking
add all the other ingrediants, bring back to a slow simmer,

remove bisquit dough from can,
slice dough into 1/4 in slices
drop slices into simmering stock
cover, cook about 12 min...

remove from heat, allow to sit about 5 min,,

serve

Chef..
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Savory Fig and Sausage Dressing

3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1-1/2 Cups finely chopped onion
1-1/2 Cups cored and finely chopped apple
1-1/2 Cups finely chopped celery
1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
1-1/2 Teaspoons finely grated orange peel
1-1/2 Teaspoons ground sage
1-1/2 Teaspoons dried thyme leaves
12 Cups unseasoned dry bread cubes
2-1/2 Cups coarsely chopped figs
1/2 Pound mild ITALIAN TURKEY SAUSAGE, cooked and chopped
1 Cup walnut pieces, toasted
1 to 1-1/4 Cups dry white wine
1 to 1-1/4 Cups TURKEY BROTH

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Over medium heat and in large deep skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add onion, apple and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
Remove from heat. Add poultry seasoning, orange peel, sage and thyme. Stir in remaining ingredients, adding enough wine and broth to moisten. Blend well.
Place in buttered 13-x-9-inch baking dish or large casserole. Cover and bake for 45 minutes; remove cover and continue baking 15 minutes until heated through and top is crisp. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
OR, spoon stuffing into cavities of a 12- to 15-pound turkey. Roast turkey in a 325 degree oven. Cook until the internal temperature of the stuffing reaches 165 degrees F.

Link Posted: 11/7/2008 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#22]
mmmmmm figs. i have a HUGE fig tree...
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 4:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bend] [#23]
Chef-

I've been working on a version of Logan bread (an energy bar not a protein bar) focusing on complex carbs and unsat fats with some fiber and with a caffeine kicker for use in cold weather that has long term storage capabilities.  This is a 1/4 batch of Logan bread. Do you have any suggestions to improve the recipe toward my goals?

TIA.

Pre-heat the oven to 300 F.

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup orange juice
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup Teff flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup brown rice flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup brown sugar or sucanat
1/4 cup powdered milk
2/3 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of your favorite dried fruit mix, chopped, compressed
1/2 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds, shelled or your favorite nut, chopped
1 tablespoon flax seed
2 teaspoons instant coffee (optional, more if you want)

Soak the oats in a separate cereal bowl with the orange juice for 10-15 minutes.  Put all other above ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stir.

In a second separate bowl:

Whisk together-

1/2 cup veggie oil
1 egg yoke

Then add and stir into the second bowl-

1/2 cup of honey
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup total - maple syrup, molasses and/or sorghum syrup (your choice on proportion)
The oats and orange juice
1 egg white

Pour the contents of the second (wet ingredients) bowl into the mixing (dry ingredients) bowl. Mix for 2-3 minutes until the batter looks smooth and creamy.  Pour the batter into a 10 x 15 x 2 baking pan with the bottom lined with parchment paper, bake for 1 hour.  Turn the oven off and let cool for an hour with the bread inside.  Remove the pan from the oven; run a knife around the edge to release the sides, flip the bread upside down on a cookie sheet.  Remove the paper.  Let cool for an hour.  Cut into 2-3 inch squares and place squares on a cooling rack to further cool and dry for 8-12 hours.  Then wrap the squares in plastic wrap or put them in an air tight container.  The bread should last a few weeks if stored in a cool dry place otherwise refrigerate (lasts several months) or freeze (lasts years).
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#24]
19suburban96 IM or email me again please...your box is full
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bend:
Chef-

I've been working on a version of Logan bread (an energy bar not a protein bar) focusing on complex carbs and unsat fats with some fiber and with a caffeine kicker for use in cold weather that has long term storage capabilities.  This is a 1/4 batch of Logan bread. Do you have any suggestions to improve the recipe toward my goals?

TIA.

Pre-heat the oven to 300 F.

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup orange juice
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup Teff flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup brown rice flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup brown sugar or sucanat
1/4 cup powdered milk
2/3 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of your favorite dried fruit mix, chopped, compressed
1/2 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds, shelled or your favorite nut, chopped
1 tablespoon flax seed
2 teaspoons instant coffee (optional, more if you want)

Soak the oats in a separate cereal bowl with the orange juice for 10-15 minutes.  Put all other above ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stir.

In a second separate bowl:

Whisk together-

1/2 cup veggie oil
1 egg yoke

Then add and stir into the second bowl-

1/2 cup of honey
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup total - maple syrup, molasses and/or sorghum syrup (your choice on proportion)
The oats and orange juice
1 egg white

Pour the contents of the second (wet ingredients) bowl into the mixing (dry ingredients) bowl. Mix for 2-3 minutes until the batter looks smooth and creamy.  Pour the batter into a 10 x 15 x 2 baking pan with the bottom lined with parchment paper, bake for 1 hour.  Turn the oven off and let cool for an hour with the bread inside.  Remove the pan from the oven; run a knife around the edge to release the sides, flip the bread upside down on a cookie sheet.  Remove the paper.  Let cool for an hour.  Cut into 2-3 inch squares and place squares on a cooling rack to further cool and dry for 8-12 hours.  Then wrap the squares in plastic wrap or put them in an air tight container.  The bread should last a few weeks if stored in a cool dry place otherwise refrigerate (lasts several months) or freeze (lasts years).

I cant think of a thing to add..looks excellent..I will have to try and see..
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#26]
roasted Turkey breast with apple glaze

1 (6 to 8 Pound) BONE-IN TURKEY BREAST, fresh or thawed if frozen
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 Teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/4 Cup apple jelly
1-1/2 Tablespoons country-style mustard
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pat turkey breast dry with clean paper towels.
Rub turkey breast with butter, salt, pepper and thyme.
Place turkey breast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, melt jelly with mustard and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring.
Continue roasting turkey 30 to 45 minutes, basting occasionally with apple-mustard mixture, until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers 165 to 170 degrees F.
Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 6:56:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#27]
DEEP FRIED TURKEY
a craze that has stuck for certain, here are a few ways of doing them

Bayou Deep Fried Turkey

Marinade
1 (10 to12 Pound) WHOLE TURKEY, non self-basting
4 Ounces liquid garlic
4 Ounces liquid onion
4 Ounces liquid celery
1 Tablespoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons hot pepper sauce such as Tabasco
1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning OR 1 ounce liquid crab boil

Remove giblets and neck, rinse the turkey well with cold water and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Take care to dry both inside cavities. Cut off the wing tips and plump tail as they may get caught in the fryer basket.
Combine remaining marinade ingredients in a small saucepan. Simmer over low heat until salt is dissolved. Allow mixture to cool. Fill poultry/meat injector with cooled solution.
Inject turkey in the breast, wings, drumsticks, thighs and back. Place on a rack, cover and chill. Marinate, in the refrigerator for 24 hours, maintaining a temperature of 39 degrees F or below.
To allow for good oil circulation through the cavity, do not truss or tie legs together.

Deep Frying Procedure
5 Gallons peanut oil

Place the OUTDOOR gas burner on a level dirt or grassy area. Never fry a turkey indoors, in a garage or in any structure attached to a building. Do not fry on wood decks, which could catch fire, or concrete, which could be stained by the oil. (Safety tip: have a fire extinguisher nearby for added safety.)
Add oil to a 10+ gallon pot with a basket or rack. At the medium-high setting, heat the oil to 375 degrees F, (depending on the amount of oil, outside temperature and wind conditions, this should take about 40+ minutes).
Place the turkey in a basket or on a rack, neck down.
When the oil temperature registers 375 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer, slowly lower the turkey into the hot oil. The level of the oil will rise due to the frothing caused by the moisture from the turkey but will stabilize in about one minute. (Safety tips: to prevent burns from the splattering oil wear oven mitts/gloves, long sleeves, heavy shoes and even glasses. It is wise to have two people lowering and raising the turkey.)
Immediately check the oil temperature and increase the flame so the oil temperature is maintained at 350 degrees F. If the temperature drops to 340 degrees F or below, oil will begin to seep into the turkey.
Fry about 3-4 minutes per pound, or about 35-42 minutes for a 10-12 pound turkey. Stay with the cooker at all times as the heat must be regulated.
When cooked to 170 degrees F in the breast or 180 degrees F in the thigh, carefully remove the turkey from the hot oil. Allow the turkey to drain for a few minutes. (Safety tip: allow the oil to cool completely before storing or disposing.)
Remove turkey from the rack and place on a serving platter. Allow to stand for 20 minutes before carving.
NOTE: Use only oils with high smoke points, such as peanut, canola or safflower oil. To determine the correct amount of oil, place the turkey in the pot before adding seasoning and add water until turkey is covered. Take turkey out of the water before marking the oil level. Measure the amount of water and use a corresponding amount of oil. Dry the pot thoroughly of all water.

Asian Deep Fried Turkey

Brining Turkey
1 (10-12 Pound) WHOLE TURKEY, fresh or thawed if frozen (non self-basting)
1 Cup low sodium soy sauce
2/3 Cup sugar
2/3 Cup salt

Remove giblets and neck from both cavities. Rinse with cold water. Cut off wing tips and little tail as they may be caught in the fryer basket.
Combine soy sauce, sugar and 2/3 cup salt in a 40-60 quart pot. Submerge turkey in water. Add enough water to cover. Stir liquid to distribute the seasonings evenly. Cover and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.

Deep Frying Turkey
2 Tablespoons salt
1 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
3 Tablespoons wasabi powder
3+ Gallons peanut oil

Remove turkey from brine, rinse well, removing all sugar and salt. Pat interior and exterior dry with paper towels. Drain brining liquid, rinse pot and dry it thoroughly (oil and water do not mix).
Stir together salt, black pepper and wasabi powder.
Rub spice mixture all over turkey, inside and out. Make sure neck hole is at least 2 inches in diameter, as oil needs to flow freely.
Set up turkey cooker outside, in an open area on a level dirt or grassy area.
Never fry a turkey indoors, in a garage or in any structure attached to a building. Do not fry on wood decks, which could catch fire, or concrete, which could be stained by the oil. (Safety tip: have a fire extinguisher nearby for added safety.)
Put 3+ gallons oil into pot and set it over medium-high heat. When oil reaches 375 degrees F, place turkey into basket and lower it, very slowly, into oil. (Oil temperature will decrease at this point.) The level of the oil will rise due to the frothing caused by the moisture from the turkey but will stabilize in about one minute. (Safety tips: to prevent burns from the splattering oil , wear oven mitts/gloves, long sleeves, heavy shoes and even glasses. It is wise to have two people lowering and raising the turkey.)
Turn heat to high and return oil temperature to 365 degrees F. Fry turkey for 3 to 4 minutes per pound or about 35 to 42 minutes, or until it floats.
Stay with the cooker at all times as the heat must be regulated.
Carefully remove turkey from oil by lifting handle of basket. Let oil drain for a minute or so, back into the pot. Remove turkey and place on a cutting board. Use food thermometer to make sure thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees F; if not, return to fryer and fry 10 more minutes, then repeat removal process.
Let turkey rest for about 15 minutes before carving.

NOTE: Use only oils with high smoke points, such as peanut, canola or safflower oil. To determine the correct amount of oil, place the turkey in the pot before adding seasoning and add water until turkey is covered. Take turkey out of the water before marking the oil level. Measure the amount of water and use a corresponding amount of oil. Dry the pot thoroughly of all water.

Cajun FRied Turkey

Ingredients
1/2 Cup kosher salt
3 Tablespoons onion powder
3 Tablespoons black pepper
3 Tablespoons white pepper
2 Tablespoons sweet basil
2 Teaspoons bay leaves, ground
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
2 Teaspoons filé powder
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
1 10-12 Pound WHOLE TURKEY, non self-basting
4 to 5 Gallons peanut oil, See Note

Stir salt, herbs and peppers together. Mix until well blended. Use 1/2 to 2/3 cup for a 10-12 pound turkey. May be stored for several months in an airtight covered jar.
Remove the giblets and neck, rinse the turkey well with cold water and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Take care to dry both inside cavities. Place in a large pan and rub the interior and exterior of the bird with seasoning mix. To allow for good oil circulation through the cavity, do not truss or tie legs together. Cut off the wing tips and plump little tail as they may get caught in the fryer basket. Cover pan and place in refrigerator overnight.
Place the OUTDOOR gas burner on a level dirt or grassy area. Never fry a turkey indoors, in a garage or in any structure attached to a building. Do not fry on wood decks, which could catch fire, or concrete, which could be stained by the oil. (Safety tip: have a fire extinguisher nearby for added safety.)
Add oil to a 7-10 gallon pot with a basket or rack. At the medium-high setting, heat the oil to 375 degrees F., (depending on the amount of oil, outside temperature and wind conditions, this should take about 40+ minutes).
Meanwhile, place the turkey in a basket or on a rack, neck down.
When the oil temperature registers 375 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer, slowly lower the turkey into the hot oil. The level of the oil will rise due to the frothing caused by the moisture from the turkey but will stabilize in about one minute. (Safety tips: to prevent burns from the splattering oil wear oven mitts/gloves, long sleeves, heavy shoes and even glasses. It is wise to have two people lowering and raising the turkey.)
Immediately check the oil temperature and increase the flame so the oil temperature is maintained at 350 degrees F. If the temperature drops to 340 degrees F. or below, oil will begin to seep into the turkey.
Fry about 3-4 minutes per pound, or about 35-42 minutes for a 10-12 pound turkey. Stay with the cooker at all times as the heat must be regulated.
When cooked to 170 degrees F. in the breast or 180 degrees F. in the thigh, carefully remove the turkey from the hot oil. Allow the turkey to drain for a few minutes. (Safety tip: allow the oil to cool completely before storing or disposing.)
Remove turkey from the rack and place on a serving platter. Allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.

Chef
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Brining has been a topic here on one or two occasions,, Turkey being a favored it seems

Brined Turkey

Ingredients
1 15-Pound WHOLE TURKEY (not pre-basted or kosher), fresh
2 Cups ** Diamond Crystal kosher salt
2 Gallons ** cold water
1/3 Cup unsalted butter, melted

Remove neck and giblets from cavity of turkey, but leave “leg locks” on.
In a very large, clean container (non-corrosive pan or stockpot such as stainless steel, glass or a food-grade plastic container) mix kosher salt and water together with a long-handled spoon until salt dissolves.
Totally submerge turkey in solution and store, covered, in refrigerator overnight or for a maximum of 8-10 hours. Since brining does not preserve meat, the turkey must be kept below 40 degrees F throughout the entire brining process. Ice packs may also be used to keep the turkey at a safe temperature of below 40 degrees F.
Remove turkey from brine. Discard brine. Thoroughly rinse the interior and exterior of the turkey by placing it on a wire rack and setting both rack and turkey in a clean, empty sink. Use cool water from the spray hose and rub gently to release the salt from the turkey.
Pat skin and both interior cavities dry with clean paper towels.
Place turkey on a rack, breast side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Brush turkey with melted butter.
Roast turkey, in a preheated 325 degree F oven, for about 4 hours. During this time, baste with melted butter. Roast until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F in the breast and 180 degrees F in the thigh. NOTE: A brined turkey cooks slightly faster than an unbrined turkey, so check the internal temperature frequently after roasting 3-1/2 hours.
Remove turkey from the oven and allow to stand for 20 minutes before carving.
**NOTE: The ratio of water to salt is appropriate for a 15-pound turkey. If a larger or smaller turkey is brined, please calculate accordingly.

Basic Brined turkey

Brining Procedure
1 15-pound WHOLE TURKEY, (not self-basting or kosher) thawed, giblets and neck removed
2 Cups table salt (do not substitute equal amounts of kosher salt)
2 Gallons* icy cold water
4 Cups brown sugar, ** SEE NOTE
1/2 Cup dried rosemary leaves
1/2 Cup dried thyme leaves

Rinse turkey in cool water.
In a very large clean container (non-corrosive pan or stockpot such as stainless steel or glass or a food-grade plastic container), mix salt and water together until salt dissolves. Stir in brown sugar and spices, mix well until sugar dissolves.
Totally submerge poultry in solution and store, covered, in refrigerator for at least 6 hours and up to 8 hours. Since brining does not preserve meat, the turkey must be kept below 40 degrees F throughout the entire brining process. Ice packs may also be used to keep turkey at a safe temperature of below 40 degrees F.
Remove turkey from brine. Discard brine. Thoroughly rinse the interior and exterior of the turkey by placing it on a wire rack and setting both rack and turkey in a clean, empty sink. Use cool water from the spray hose and rub gently to release the salt and sugar from the turkey.
Pat skin and both interior cavities dry.
* NOTE: The ratio of water to salt is appropriate for a 15-pound turkey. If a larger or smaller turkey is brined, please calculate accordingly.
* *NOTE: Other combinations of herbs may be added including 6-8 bay leaves, 3 cloves garlic and 2 teaspoons black peppercorns. Or a spicy flavor may be achieved by the addition of 1 cup small dried red chile peppers.

Roasting Procedure
1 Small onion, peeled and quartered
1 carrot, peeled & cut into 1-inch chunks
1 Small stalk celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
4-6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
As needed fresh fruit for garnish

In the cavity of turkey, place onion, carrot and celery.
Brush turkey with melted butter.
Roast turkey, breast side down, in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 2 hours. During this time, baste legs and back twice with melted butter.
Remove turkey from oven and protecting your hands, grasp turkey with several layers of clean paper towels at both ends, and turn turkey, breast side up.
Return turkey to oven and continue to roast, basting twice with pan dripping. Continue to roast until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F in the breast and 180 degrees F in the thigh. NOTE: A brined turkey cooks slightly faster than an unbrined turkey, so check the internal temperature frequently.
Remove turkey from the oven and allow to stand for 20 minutes before carving.
Transfer to a platter and garnish with fresh fruit.

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Roasting Turkey
I believe the Nationl Butterball Turkey Hotline, is the Busiest Phone in the country the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas

so, here are a few examples of roasting turkey

"New England Style", Smoked Turkey

Brining
12-Pound WHOLE TURKEY, fresh or thawed
1-1/4 Cups kosher salt
1 Quart hot water
4 Quarts cold water
1 Cup maple syrup
1 Medium onion, thinly sliced
4 Cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
10 Black peppercorns
5 Bay leaves
4 Strips lemon zest
2 Whole cloves

The night before cooking, remove the giblets from the main and front cavities. Wash the bird inside and out.
Prepare the brine. Place salt and 1 quart hot water in a large deep stockpot and whisk until salt crystals are dissolved. Whisk in cold water and maple syrup.
Add onion, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, lemon zest and cloves.
Cool the mixture in the refrigerator to a temperature of 40 degrees F.
Add the chilled turkey. Place a large zip top bag filled with ice-cold water on top to keep the bird submerged. Place the turkey in the refrigerator and marinate overnight.

Smoking and Grilling
6 Tablespoons butter, melted

Prepare the grill for indirect grilling and preheat the grill to medium heat.
If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in center and toss hardwood chips on the coals. To maintain the correct heat, if using a charcoal grill, replenish coals and wood chips every hour (or more depending on wind and weather).
If using a gas grill, place the hardwood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high smoke appears, then reduce the heat to medium.
If using a smoker, light and set it up according to the manufacturers instructions and preheat to 275 degrees F.
Meanwhile, rinse and drain the turkey. Pat with clean paper towels.
Place the turkey on the grate over the drip pan away from the fire. Brush with melted butter. (Use an instant read thermometer to test for doneness-the turkey is ready when the thigh meat is 180 degrees.) Baste the turkey with melted butter every hour. If the skin starts to brown too much, tent the bird with foil. On a kettle grill, tent the sides closest to the piles of coals.
As a general guideline, if using a grill, cook the turkey for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours: if using a smoker, cook the bird about 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.

New England Turkey Gravy
2 Cups turkey drippings
1-2 Cups TURKEY STOCK
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1/4 Cup Madeira wine
1/4 Cup prepared coffee
1/4 Cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
To Taste kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Strain turkey drippings into a fat separating gravy boat and allow time for the fat to rise to the top. Pour the non-fatty drippings into a large measuring cup, stopping when the fat begins to pour. Add enough stock to yield 3 cups.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir in flour and cook until a dark golden brown color develops, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and gradually whisk in Madeira, coffee, cream, maple syrup and turkey drippings with stock. Return pan to heat and bring to a boil, whisking steadily.
Reduce heat and simmer the gravy over medium heat until richly flavored and reduced to about 3 cups, 6 to 10 minutes.
Adjust seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Stuffing
12 Cups Italian or French bread, day-old, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/2 Pound TURKEY BACON, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
2 Cups onion, finely chopped
1-1/2 Cups celery, chopped
2 Teaspoons dried sage leaves, crumbled
1 Tablespoon dried thyme, crumbled
2/3 Cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
1/2 Cup unsalted butter, melted
18 Medium oysters, shucked, chopped and drained
As needed salt and freshly ground black pepper

In 2 shallow baking pans or jelly-roll pans, arrange bread cubes in one layer. Bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a large bowl.
In a large skillet, cook bacon over low heat, stirring as needed, until crisp.
Remove bacon from pan and add garlic, onion, celery, sage and thyme. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add to bread mixture.
Stir in parsley, melted butter, oysters, bacon, salt and pepper. Lightly toss stuffing, mixing well. Allow stuffing to cool.
NOTE: Stuffing can be prepared 1 day in advance, covered and chilled. To prevent bacterial growth, never stuff the turkey cavity in advance.

Roast Turkey with Oyster Herb Stuffing and Giblet Gravy
Turkey
1 12-14 Pound WHOLE TURKEY
3/4 Cup unsalted butter, melted AND divided
1 Cup TURKEY GIBLET STOCK

Rinse turkey, pat dry and season inside and out with salt and pepper.
Loosely pack neck cavity with some of the stuffing, fold neck skin under body and fasten it with a skewer.
Loosely pack body cavity with some of the remaining stuffing. Truss the bird. Transfer remaining stuffing to a buttered 3-quart baking dish and reserve, covered and chilled.
Coat the exterior of the turkey with 1/4 cup butter.
Roast turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan in a preheated 425 degree F. oven for 30 minutes. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
Saturate a large piece of cheesecloth with remaining 1/2 cup melted butter. Baste turkey with pan juices and drape breast with butter ladened cheesecloth.
Baste turkey every 20 minutes and continue to roast for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the internal temperature measures 170 degrees F. in the breast and 180 degrees F. in the thigh.
Meanwhile, during the last 1-1/2 hours of roasting, drizzle the reserved stuffing with stock, cover and bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 hour. Remove cover and continue to bake for an additional 1/2 hour.
Discard cheesecloth and string from turkey. Transfer turkey to a heated platter, reserving juices in the pan. Loosely cover turkey with foil and keep warm.

Gravy
1 Cup dry white wine
1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
4 Cups TURKEY GIBLET STOCK, with reserved cooked neck and giblets
As needed fresh parsley and thyme sprigs

Skim all fat from the pan juices, reserving 1/3 cup fat.
Add wine to pan. Deglaze pan over moderately high heat, scraping up brown bits. Boil until the mixture is reduced by half.
In a saucepan, combine the reserved fat and flour. Cook the roux over moderately low heat, whisking for 3 minutes.
Whisk in stock and wine mixture. Continue to cook until gravy simmers. Simmer an additional 10 minutes.
Add reserved cooked and chopped giblets and neck meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook and stir until gravy returns to a simmer and continue to cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Transfer to a heated sauceboat.
Garnish turkey with parsley and thyme sprigs.

Roast Turkey with Herbal Rub

Ingredients
1 13-Pound WHOLE TURKEY, fresh or thawed
1 Medium onion, quartered
1 lemon, quartered
1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon dried thyme
1 Teaspoon dried tarragon
1 Tablespoon dried rosemary
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Remove giblets and neck from turkey and reserve for broth. Rinse turkey with cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place onion and lemon quarters in neck and body cavities.
In a small bowl, mix oil with herbs, salt and pepper. With your finger tips, gently loosen skin from the breast without pulling off the skin. Place 1 tablespoon of herb mixture under skin; replace skin. Rub cavities and outside of turkey with remaining herb mixture.
Secure the neck skin to the back with skewers. Fold wings under back of turkey. Place legs in tucked position. May be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for several hours.
Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (no more than 2-1/2 inches) deep roasting pan. Insert an oven-safe thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
Cover bird with a loose tent of foil. Roast turkey in a preheated 325 degree F. oven for about 2-1/2 hours. Remove foil and baste bird with pan juices. Continue to roast for about another hour until meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F. in the thigh.
Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving. Transfer to a large platter and serve with gravy. Note: Yields 18 servings at 6 ounces per portion.

Roasted Turkey with Old Fashioned Bread Dressing

Turkey
10 Pound WHOLE TURKEY
1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
1/4 Teaspoon granulated garlic

Remove giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
Remove backbone and legs from turkey.
Sprinkle turkey with salt, pepper and garlic. Roast legs along with the breast in a shallow pan, on a rack in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F in the breast and 180 degrees F in the legs.

Dressing
1/4 Cup unsalted butter
5 Ounces onion, chopped
5 Ounces celery, chopped
2 Ounces English walnuts, chopped
1-1/4 Cup water
4 Ounces sour cream
2 Ounces sun-dried cherries
6 Ounces herb dressing mix

In a saute pan, melt butter; add onion, celery and walnuts. Saute until crispy tender.
Add water, sour cream, cherries and seasoning packet from dressing (if appropriate). Bring to a boil.
Stir in bread crumbs and mix until liquid is absorbed.
Place in a prepared baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#30]
got a recipe on tarter sauce?

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Thank you kind sir.

Beecher's Flagship Reserve Cheddar, and will try to applewood smoke a large wedge of Zamorano....figured applewood will go well with the nuttiness of the Zamorano.

Have never tried smoking my own cheese before (hehehehe...smoking my own cheese) but this is a great idea and I am thankful for your time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 7:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screech] [#33]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
Originally Posted By Screech:
YES,,, I THANK YOU ALL for the help you have offered! Actually I think this is the best area where help is genuine and not childish jabs at posters

Chef, Yes it was mush my mother made. Now I gotta dig her recipe out for ice cream, it is the BEST!

you're very welcome and thank you,,when you find Moms ice cream recipe, bring it here,,

life is too short to put up with too much bullshit and I am at an age where there is little tolerance for it
early on I had one or two bull shitters in the tread, they were bitch slapped and warned,
I do this rather seriously, cooking is/was the love of my life for nearly 40 years and I think I have covered a lot of ground here in educating arfcommers  in good, clean healthy food and preparation ideas if nothing else and love the feedback there of.
I try to maintain a bit of my dry humor and have taken one or two jabs with my head held high, Hell IM A CHEF, you can insult us and we will smile

and poison you later

one of my favorite movies is Monty Walsh with Tom Selleck, in one scene, they give the most odifferious Cookie a much needed bath,
he in turn puts soap or similar,err,lubrication in the dinner that evening.... needless to say the 2 holer wasn't enough 10 min into the meal..

don't ever piss off the cook,,,

Mom’s ice cream – 4 quarts

Heat in double boiler until scalded:  4 ½ cups milk.
Mix 2 ¼ cups sugar and 6 TBL flour in a separate container.
Add a little of the hot milk to the flour and sugar mixture, then pour the milk slowly back into the hot milk in the double boiler.

Don’t bring to a boil, just get it hot, stirring constantly until thick (it might not get thick, doesn’t matter).  It will still freeze.

Then add 6 well beaten egg yolks to the mixture (You can use the whole egg, but if you do you have to beat them really, really well before adding them to the hot mixture.

Continue to cook for a little bit, stirring constantly.

Let cool (stir once in a while to prevent it getting a film on top or else lay wax paper on top of it)

Pour in a 4 quart ice cream freezer.  Add  4 ½ cups more milk to top.  Put in 4 ½ tsp. vanilla.  Freeze.

8 quarts:  9 cups milk
               4 ½ c. sugar
               12 TB flour
               12 eggs
               9 tsp. Vanilla
               9 cups more milk

6 quarts:  6 ¾ cups milk
               3 3/8 c. sugar
               9 TB flour
               9 eggs
              6 ¾ tsp. vanilla
              6 3/4 cups more milk to fill up freezer

I am 52 years old, this recipe is a lot older than that! BEST ICE CREAM, Especially with no flavors added! Put on top flavors or toppings, but first taste the vanilla ice cream!! This ice cream freezes really hard. Stick it it in the Micro, it comes back to life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#34]
post 5ooo
not being into such things missed 1 2 and 3 and 4k but, caught this one and   after several days of trying to decide what to use if for and not able to load my software for my digital camera on my new computer at home V my lap top in dallas, so, NO dinner pic, I decided to just tell all what a Chef is and what the job entails for those still unknowing..
enjoy or skip,,here is a lot of info

A chef is a person who cooks professionally. In a professional kitchen setting, the term is used only for the one person in charge of everyone else in the kitchen, the executive chef.

"Chef" is the abbreviated form of the French phrase chef de cuisine, the "chief" or "head" of a kitchen. The title chef in the culinary profession originates from the roots of haute cuisine in the 19th century. The English use of the word chef has become a term that is sometimes used to mean any professional cook, regardless of rank.

Below are various titles given to those working in a professional kitchen and each can be considered a title for a type of chef. Many of the titles are based on the brigade system (Brigade de cuisine), documented by Georges Auguste Escoffier, while others have a more general meaning depending on the individual kitchen. Not all restaurants will use these titles as each establishment may have its own set guidelines to organization. Specialized and hierarchal chef titles are usually found only in fine-dining, upscale restaurants; kitchen staff members at casual restaurants such as diners are more often called "cook" or "short-order cook.”

Chef de Cuisine
Chef de Cuisine ("Head of the Kitchen") is a synonym for the title executive chef. This is the traditional French term from which the English word chef comes, and is more common in European kitchens or those American kitchens which use the classical French brigade system. In some establishments this title is used to designate a chef who is the head chef at one location of an operation that has multiple locations where the corporate chef has the title executive chef.]

Sous chef
The sous-chef de cuisine (under-chef of the kitchen) is the direct assistant of the executive chef and is second in command. They may be responsible for scheduling, and filling in when the executive chef is off-duty. The Sous Chef will also fill in for, or assist the chef de partie (line cooks) when needed. Smaller operations may not have a sous chef, while larger operations may have multiple.

Expediter (Aboyeur)
The expediter takes the orders from the dining room and relays them to the stations in the kitchen. This person also often puts the finishing touches on the dish before it goes to the dining room. In some operations this task may be done by either the executive chef or the sous chef.

Chef de Partie
A chef de partie, also known as a "station chef" or "line cook", is in charge of a particular area of production. In large kitchens, each station chef might have several cooks and/or assistants. In most kitchens however, the station chef is the only worker in that department. Line cooks are often divided into a hierarchy of their own, starting with "First Cook", then "Second Cook", and so on as needed.

Station chef titles which are part of the brigade system include-

Sauté Chef (Saucier) [sos.je] - Responsible for all sautéed items and their sauce. This is usually the highest position of all the stations.

Fish Chef (Poissonier) [pwɑ.so.ɲe] - Prepares fish dishes and often does all fish butchering as well as appropriate sauces. This station may be
combined with the saucier position.

Roast Chef (Rotisseur) [ʀo.ti.sœʀ] - Prepares roasted and braised meats and their appropriate sauce.

Grill Chef (Grillardin) [gʀi.jaʀ.dɛ̃] - Prepares all grilled foods, this position may be combined with the rotisseur.

Fry Chef (Friturier) [fʀi.ty.ʀje] - Prepares all fried items, position may be combined with the rotisseur position.

Vegetable Chef (Entremetier) [ã.tʀə.me.tje] - Prepares hot appetizers and often prepares the soups, vegetables, pastas and starches. In a full brigade system a potager would prepare soups and a legumier would prepare vegetables.

Roundsman (Tournant) [tuʀ.nã] - Also referred to as a swing cook, fills in as needed on station in kitchen.

Pantry Chef (Garde Manger) [gaʀd mã.ʒe] They are responsible for preparing cold foods, including salads, cold appetizers, pâtés and other charcuterie items.

Butcher (Boucher) [bu.ʃe] - Butchers meats, poultry and sometimes fish. May also be responsible for breading meats and fish.

Pastry Chef (Pâtissier) [pa.ti.sje] - Prepare baked goods, pastries and desserts. In larger establishments, the pastry chef often supervises a separate team in their own kitchen or separate shop.

Commis
A commis is an apprentice in larger kitchens that works under a chef de partie in order to learn the station's responsibilities and operation. He is a chef who has recently completed formal culinary training or is still undergoing training.

European training
The training period for a chef is generally four years. consisting of 1st year commis, 2nd year commis, and so on. The rate of pay is usually in accordance with the training status. Commis chefs are usually placed in sections of the kitchen (eg. the starter/entrée section) under the guidance of a chef de partie and are given relatively basic tasks. Ideally, over time, a commis will spend a certain period in each section of the kitchen to learn the basics. Unaided, a commis may work on the vegetable station of a kitchen.

The usual formal training period for a chef is two years in catering college. They often spend the summer in work placements. In some cases this is modified to 'day-release' courses; a chef will work full-time in a kitchen as an apprentice and then would attend catering college on days off. These courses can last between one to three years. Once the chef has completed the fourth year in training, they usually graduate to demi-chef de partie or chef de partie.

Kitchen assistants
Kitchen assistants (often known as Kitchen Porters) are usually kitchen workers who assist with basic tasks, but have had no formal training in cooking. Tasks could include peeling potatoes or washing salad for example. Smaller kitchens more commonly have kitchen assistants who would be assigned a wide variety of tasks (including washing up) in order to keep costs down.

A communard would be in charge of preparing the meal for the staff during a shift. This meal is often referred to as staff or family meal.

The escuelerie or dishwasher, (from 15th century French) is the keeper of dishes, having charge of dishes and keeping the kitchen clean. A common humorous title for this role in some modern kitchens is Chef de Plúnge.

Uniform
The standard uniform for a chef is as follows: hat, necktie, double-breasted jacket, apron, houndstooth (checkered) trousers and steel-toe (or plastic) capped shoes or clogs. A chef's hat (toque) is tall to allow for the circulation of air above the head and also provides an outlet for heat. The hat will also usually assist in the prevention of sweat dripping down the face. Skullcaps are an alternative hat worn by chefs. Neckties were originally worn to allow for the mopping of sweat from the face, but as this is now against health and safety regulations (due to hygiene), they are largely decorative. The jacket is usually white to repel heat and double-breasted to prevent serious injuries from burns and scalds. The double breast also serves to conceal stains on the jacket as one side can be rebuttoned over the other.  An apron is worn to just below knee-length also to assist in the prevention of burns due to spillage. The safety aspect of this being that if hot liquid is spilled onto the apron, it can be quickly removed to minimize burns and scalds.  Shoes and clogs are hard wearing and with a steel-top cap to prevent injury from falling objects or knives. According to some hygiene regulations, jewelery is not allowed apart from wedding bands.

Chefs Federation educational ranking of culinary professionals

Cooking Professionals
Certified Culinarian (CC): An entry level culinarian within a commercial foodservice operation responsible for preparing and cooking sauces, cold food, fish, soups and stocks, meats, vegetables, eggs and other food items.

Certified Sous Chef (CSC): A chef who supervises a shift or station(s) in a foodservice operation. Equivalent job titles are sous chef, banquet chef, garde manger, first cook, a.m. sous chef and p.m. sous chef.

Certified Chef de Cuisine (CCC): A chef who is the supervisor in charge of food production in a foodservice operation. This could be a single unit of a multi-unit operation or a free-standing operation. He or she is in essence the chef of the operation with the final decision-making power as it relates to culinary operations.

Certified Executive Chef (CEC): A chef who is the department head usually responsible for all culinary units in a restaurant, hotel, club, hospital or foodservice establishment, or the owner of a foodservice operation. In addition to culinary responsibilities, other duties include budget preparation, payroll, maintenance, controlling food costs and maintaining financial and inventory records.

Certified Master Chef (CMC): The consummate chef. A CMC possesses the highest degree of professional culinary knowledge, skill and mastery of cooking techniques. A separate application is required, in addition to successfully completing an eight-day testing process judged by peers. Certification as a CEC or CEPC is a prerequisite.

Personal Cooking Professionals
Personal Certified Chef (PCC): A chef who is engaged in the preparation, cooking and serving of foods on a “cook-for-hire” basis. Must also have knowledge menu planning, marketing, financial management and operational decision making. Has at least three years of cooking experience and one full year of Personal Chef experience.

Personal Certified Executive Chef (PCEC): An advanced chef who is engaged in the preparation, cooking and serving of foods on a “cook-for-hire” basis. Must also have knowledge menu planning, marketing, financial management and operational decision making. Has at least three years of Personal Chef experience.

Baking and Pastry Professionals
Certified Pastry Culinarian (CPC): An entry level culinarian within a pastry foodservice operation responsible for the preparation and production of pies, cookies, cakes, breads, rolls, desserts or other baked goods.

Certified Working Pastry Chef (CWPC): A pastry chef who supervises a pastry section or a shift within a foodservice operation and has considerable responsibility for preparation and production of all pastry items.

Certified Executive Pastry Chef (CEPC): A pastry chef who is a department head, usually responsible to the executive chef of a food operation or to the management of a pastry specialty firm. A CEPC has supervisory responsibility as well as administrative duties.

Certified Master Pastry Chef (CMPC): The consummate pastry chef. A CMPC possesses the highest degree of professional culinary knowledge, skill and mastery of cooking techniques as they apply to pastry. A separate application is required, in addition to successfully completing a 10-day testing process judged by peers. Certification as a CEC or CEPC is a prerequisite.

Culinary Administrators
Certified Culinary Administrator (CCA): This is an executive-level chef who is responsible for the administrative functions of running a professional foodservice operation. This culinary professional must demonstrate proficiency in culinary knowledge, human resources, operational management and business planning skills.

Culinary Educators
Certified Secondary Culinary Educator (CSCE): An advanced-degree culinary professional who is working as an educator at an accredited secondary or vocational institution. A CSCE is responsible for the development, implementation, administration, evaluation and maintenance of a culinary arts or foodservice management curriculum. In addition, a CSCE must possess culinary experience equivalent to a CCC or CWPC.

Certified Culinary Educator (CCE): An advanced-degree culinary professional who is working as an educator in an accredited postsecondary institution or military training facility. A CCE is responsible for the development, implementation, administration, evaluation and maintenance of a culinary arts or foodservice management curriculum. In addition, a CCE must possess superior culinary experience equivalent to a CCC or CWPC.

I have/had, they expire, CEC, CWPC, CCA and CFBE

As I have mentioned more than once and I beleive did a diatribe on, the main thing to being a CHEF is,
DEDICATION
dedication to the training, the time, the commitment, the product, the fellow cook, the customer, the owner, the purveyors, the vendors, dedication to succed to please others 100% of the time and the dedication to the loss of many things taken for granted by others, time, family, love..but
the HONOR of service to others, a ?emotion? a satisfaction, a feeling of pride far and above so much else,,THIS and the Love of this is what makes the CHEF

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Very, Very good reading! Many questions answered, I always wondered why they wear that type of hat, Thanks for the great info!
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Screech:
Very, Very good reading! Many questions answered, I always wondered why they wear that type of hat, Thanks for the great info!

thank you Screech,,as other may be interested, I will give a history lesson on the Toque and le  GRAND CHAPEAU

The origins of the chef hat has been traced to ancient Assyria.

truthfully, since the dawn of one person cooking for another, masters have been poisoned by their cooks
so, to assist and avoid an untimely death, a Noble would give his cook a crown-like hat to wear sans jewels, in order to make the cook feel he was appreciated and somehow on the same level with his master. (and you wonder where a Chefs arrogance comes from?)In elevating the cook's ego it in turn thwarted many potential homicides

The oldest recorded evidence of what we think of as a chef's hat dates back 1400 years, to 7th Century Greece  
Cooks often learned to read in order to increase their knowledge of recipes and techniques, so by this point they were considered learned men(there's that damn EGO building again). This is why the word "epicurean," has connotations of fine food. The word originally meant "learned."

The early chefs' learnedness increased when they took refuge in monasteries of the Greek Orthodox Church to avoid persecution along with other intellectuals (artists, philosophers, etc.). The refugees adopted the outfit of the monks, in order to blend in with them at a distance; the monks' robes and black caps were recognized by everyone.

the Monks, not liking men NOT of the cloth, insisted they were the white robes of the neophyte and these refugees were giving the day to day tasks of cooking, gardening, nursing etc, the chefs of course inventing new recipes, fattening up the Friars and appeasing everyone,  adopted the white uniform as not to offend God or their pious black-clad protectors.

Another version of this theory (this one is mostly bullshit) takes place later, during the Baroque period in Europe. In another age of wild accusations and persecutions, 17th Century artists, chefs and other learned folk sought refuge, this time in the Catholic cathedrals of cities. This time they wore tall white hats to blend in with clergy (who wore light grey),
Culinary practitioners of the day may have been persecuted because of new ideas in cooking as change was frowned upon and MAY have been viewed as WITCHCRAFT, or because of the use of unusual foods.
Cooks fell into the category of artists by some definitions, who were a notoriously shifty breed by Baroque standards.
Professional cooks were watched even more carefully since their employers actually ate the art. A bad painting never killed anyone, but an undercooked pheasant drizzled with stewed elderberries and a nice broth of Hemlock, might do the trick.(posted earlier this week, NEVER piss off the Chef[>://)

In the 19th Century the chef takes his modern name "chef" (meaning "chief" in French) and his more modern hat.
The increased prosperity and commercialism of the 18th and 19th Centuries put private chefs and restaurant chefs in high demand, and chefs began to develop their own culture. The first celebrity chefs were in the making!

For the past hundred years, chefs had been wearing stocking caps, or the "casque a meche" in varying colors according to rank. M. Boucher did away with these greasy floppy hats in the 18th Century, stating that only a white clad kitchen staff could appear sanitary.

Marie Antoine Careme who is credited with perfecting the art of Modern French Cuisine, further standardized the white uniform to create a look of cleanliness and stature. He also standardized the double-breasted coat (you can unbutton and re-layer the front when it gets spattered) and tall white toque, along with different hats for different stations in the kitchen.

The height of your hat usually corresponded with your rank. Sauce cooks and bakers wore little more than a cap, the supervising chefs had a beret or a small pleated toque, and the head chef donned a towering toque of starched white, with pleats numbering the ways he knew how to cook an egg (up to 100 pleats). This "hat hierarchy" continues in some form in kitchens today.

Legend has it Careme's hat was 18 inches high, stiffened with cardboard inside, and sported all 100 pleats.

At the turn of the century, M. A. Escoffier, known as "The Chef of Kings and King of Chefs," followed in Careme's footsteps and made the kitchen even more streamlined and organized.

Escoffier added the chef d'partie position which is still in use today, created over 10,000 recipes, and invented the a la carte concept which made fine dining more affordable to the masses. He also helped to create an image of professionalism for chefs, by requesting that his employees wear jackets and ties when off duty, stop smoking, drinking and swearing at work(yeah, thats worked out), and he encouraged them to obtain higher education.

The attire worn by these chefs was still much the same as in Careme's day, but Escoffier's attitude helped to turn the uniform into something people respected, not just a drunken working man's outfit that happened to include a funny hat

Escoffier opened restaurants in France, England, and worked all over the western world, taking his ideals along with him and transforming our perception of the "chef." He was the First true SuperStar in the culinary world.

Through the early 20th Century there were not many big changes in the world of chef hats or uniforms. TV shows and cartoon illustrations continued to portray them in white, with either a stiff toque or a floppy beret. The stereotype of the comical, portly Italian chef with a curly moustache, who cooks nothing but spaghetti became popularized by cartoons and commercials. in the last 10-12 years or so, some Colors and changes in style came about and w are now seeing some pretty jazzy uniforms, stripes, peppers, red, blue, dozens of choices and changes in things like getting rid of zippers, increase pockets, tapered legs to avoid catching on things, gussets etc,,important changes to something you spend 80 to 100 hours a week in.

The CHEF has gone from being one of the noble class, or, a suspicious employee or a persecuted artist, or an ethnic stereotype and though many are still, Pirates, drunks, untrustworthy cretin's and arrogant asses beyond recognition–– MOST are professional's and businessman who still like to play with FIRE AND STEEL at every opportunity

CHEF.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Very interesting Chef....I think I knew just short of half of that.

Since we're in a receipe lull at the moment, could you tell us some more about your interactions with some of the more "Hi-Vis" TV chefs out there

Or barring that more culinary adventure shenanigans????

Thanks-

Matt

BTW- Dinner 3 nights ago-

Originally Posted By Matt45:

Baked Ziti for dinner, the ingrediants-

The preperation-

Finally, the obligatory Dinner Pic.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#38]
Matt, that ziti looks tastey actually,,or I'm more ready to start dinner than I thought
Man, if thats the water your drinking I think we can get a group buy on a Berky for ya..whats taht brown crap in the bottle????

dont think I have forgotten your care package, working on it this week, didnt think Obama was going to start staving you out of Iraq yet

Yet being a key word,,

intereactions with celeb chefs,,my days with celeb chefs is well in the past, Dean Fearing, Stephen Plyes, Amy carlson, Jim Coleman, John Waxman Paul Prudhomme, Wolfgang have crossed my path in one way or another and  I even met a much younger and thinner Emeril many years ago in N.O.,
I moved into F&B management in early "80's" and I have been in executive management the last 20 years managing multible hotels with in regional operations and then the last 7 years consulting on operations and employee/management training targeted to casinos and High Roller Hotels, the type were every one knows your name and personal worth. and your mistress and wife and which is which.

HELL MAN I'M A SUIT,,well , now I'm  a torn seat, raggedy jeaned goat roping tree farmer and much happier..
I Loved cooking, I love GOOD food, and have never vered far from the kitchen, and have walked into more than one and proved my chops to some young wanna be rockstar, but, MONEY was my driver and controling profits not whiny ladygirl Chefs who wanted to use corporate dollars to make it to Hollywood, that was other peoples problem, not mine. and truthfully my most cherished memories, are not the ones I want to print her FERAL will have me fed to the hogs if I start talking about the RockStar Chef's conquests..

read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain,,Tony pretty much lived my early life in the sweatshops of NY and St Loius and Hartford and the ski resorts of VT and NG and the Jersry shore in the summer time and...etc,,

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Another lamb request. My half of this year's lamb includes both the liver and the kidneys. Any thoughts on cooking lamb liver or kidneys?

I thought about frying the liver with onions or apple slices, but the kidneys are completely beyond my comprehension.

TIA!
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt45] [#40]

Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:

Matt, that ziti looks tastey actually,,or I'm more ready to start dinner than I thought

Man, if thats the water your drinking I think we can get a group buy on a Berky for ya..whats taht brown crap in the bottle????

dont think I have forgotten your care package, working on it this week, didnt think Obama was going to start staving you out of Iraq yet

No worries...and you're correct, the CinC hasn't shut off the tap, yet.

No kidding Chef, the ziti was tasty...the Basil flavored Jack really made it right. But I've long been a believer in quality ingrediants always rendering a quality product.

That water bottle was reused for a cold mocha, Frappe Freeze.

There's a few names I recognize there- Prudhomme, Puck, Fearing, Waxman.....Lagasse.

I'll look for the book on Amazon...I know you've mentioned it before.

Slaincha'!
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 7:53:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#41]
Originally Posted By mcornell:
Another lamb request. My half of this year's lamb includes both the liver and the kidneys. Any thoughts on cooking lamb liver or kidneys?

I thought about frying the liver with onions or apple slices, but the kidneys are completely beyond my comprehension.

TIA!

for those that are about to skip down the page please take a look here, Offal, though not common to American tastes in particular,,less its in bologna, hot dogs, salami, processed head cheese etc..tend to turn thier collective noses up on what is to some a true epicurian experence and to to others may be todays meal between living another day or not.
in survival, subsistance farming, getting buy or extending your paycheck, Offal can be pretty damn taste come SHTF

from our friends at WIKI
Offal is the entrails and internal organs of a butchered animal. The word does not refer to a particular list of organs, but includes most internal organs other than muscles or bones. People in some cultures shy away from offal as food, whilst others may make it everyday food or even delicacies that command a high price. Offal not used directly for human or animal food is often processed in a rendering plant, producing material that is used for animal feed, fertilizer, or fuel.
some parts of Europe, scrotum, brain, chitterlings (pig's large intestine), trotters (feet), heart, head (of pigs, calves, sheep and lamb), kidney, liver, "lights" (lung), sweetbreads (thymus or pancreas), fries (testicles), tongue, snout (nose), and tripe (stomach) from various mammals are common menu items.

The traditional Scottish haggis consists of sheep stomach stuffed with a boiled mix of liver, heart, lungs, rolled oats and other ingredients. In the UK Midlands faggots are made from ground or minced pig offal (mainly liver and cheek), bread, herbs and onion wrapped in pig's caul. Steak and kidney pie (typically featuring veal or beef kidneys) is widely known and enjoyed in Britain. Brawn is a British English term for "head cheese" or the collection of meat and tissue found on an animal's skull (typically a pig) that is chilled and set in gelatin.

Iceland has its own version of both haggis and brawn. The Icelandic haggis called "slátur" (Slaughter) is made in two versions "Blóðmör" (Bloodlard); a sheep's stomach stuffed with a mixture of sheep's blood, rolled oats and cut up bits of sheep's fat, and "lifrarpylsa" (liver sausage) which consists of sheep stomach stuffed with a mixture of ground lamb's liver, rolled oats and cut up bits of sheep. The Icelandic brawn "Svið" is made from singed sheep heads and it is eaten either hot or cold off the bone or set in gelatin.

In Romania there is a dish similar to haggis called drob, which is served on Easter. Also, Romanian peasants make a kind of traditional sausages from pork offal, called caltabos. Also, a popular dish called ciorba de burta is similar to Shkembe chorba (from Turkish işkembe çorbası).

In Greece (and similarly in Turkey and Republic of Macedonia), splinantero consists of liver, spleen, and small intestine, roasted over an open fire. A festive variety is kokoretsi (from Turkish kokoreç, Macedonian kukurek): pieces of lamb offal (liver, heart, lungs, spleen, kidney and fat) are pierced on a spit and covered by washed small intestine wound around in a tube-like fashion. The kokoretsi is then roasted over coal fire. It is a traditional dish for Easter. Another traditional Easter food is mageiritsa: a soup made with lamb offal and lettuce in a white sauce. Tzigerosarmas (from Turkish ciğer sarması, meaning "liver wrap") and gardoumba are two varieties of splinantero and kokoretsi made in different sizes and with extra spices to improve the taste.

The Armenian traditional dish khash, is a purist meal with great parsimony in ingredients, originating in the Shirak region. The main ingredient in khash is pig's or cow's feet, although other animal parts, such as the ears and tripe may also be used. Formerly a nutritious winter food for the poor, it is now considered a delicacy, and is enjoyed as a festive winter meal.

In Bulgaria, Republic of Macedonia and Turkey, Shkembe chorba is a widespread soup variety made from tripe.

In Italy consumption of entrails and internal organs is quite widespread, among the most popular preparations are fried or stewed brain, boiled intestines (Trippa), often served with tomato sauce, lampredotto (the fourth stomach of the cow), boiled in broth and seasoned with parsley sauce and chili, liver (stir-fried with onions, roasted), kidneys, heart and coronaries (coratella or animelle), head, eyes, testicles of pig, several preparations are based on chicken entrails. Pajata is a traditional dish from Rome. It refers to the intestines of an "un-weaned" calf, i.e., only fed on its mother's milk. The calf is killed soon after nursing. The intestines are cleaned, but the milk is left inside. When cooked, the combination of heat and the enzyme rennet in the intestines coagulates the milk and creates a sort of thick, creamy, cheese-like sauce. Pajata and tomatoes are often used to prepare a typical sauce for rigatoni. In Sicily, many enjoy a type of sandwich called "pani ca meusa", or bread with spleen and caciocavallo cheese. In Brooklyn, New York, where it is also commonly eaten, it goes by the name of Vastedda.

In Spain the visceral organs are used in many traditional dishes but the use of some of them is falling out of favor with the younger generations. Among traditional dishes are callos (cow tripe, very traditional in Madrid and Asturias), liver (often prepared with onion or with garlic and parsley), kidneys (often prepared with Sherry wine or grilled), brains (of sheep), criadillas (bull's testicles), cow's tongue, pork's head and feet (in Catalonia; pork's feet are also traditionally eaten with snails) and pork's ears (mostly in Galicia).

In the French city of Marseille lamb's trotters and a package of lamb tripe are a traditional food under the name "pieds et paquets". In France chitterlings sausage is regarded as a delicacy called andouillette.

Latin America
In some Latin American countries, such as Mexico, almost all internal parts and organs are consumed regularly: chicken hearts, mollejas (gizzard) and livers are usually eaten fried or boiled, either alone, in broth, or in a mixed grill; sesos (cow's brains) are used to make quesadillas, and the tongue is fried to make tacos; tripas (tripes) are also eaten, but normally in tacos rather than stews. A popular dish is the "pancita", a stew of beef stomach. Tripe is also used to make menudo and mondongo; in others, like Peru, cow heart is used for anticuchos - a sort of brochettes.

In Brazil, churrasco (barbecue) often includes chicken hearts, roasted in a big skewer. The typical feijoada sometimes contains pork trimmings (ears, feet and tail). Gizzard stews, fried beef liver and beef stomach stews used to be more popular dishes in the past, but are nonetheless still consumed.

In Argentina, Chile and Uruguay, the traditional asado is often made along with several offal types (called "Achuras"), like chinchulines and tripa gorda (chitterlings), mollejas (sweetbread) and riñón (cow's kidney). Also, sesos are used to make ravioli stuffing, and the tongue is usually boiled, sliced and marinated with a mixture of oil, vinegar, salt, chopped peppers and garlic.

Asia
In China, many organs and animal-parts are used for food or traditional Chinese medicine. Since pork is the most consumed meat in China, popular pork offal dishes include stir-fried cleaned pork kidneys with oyster sauce, ginger and scallions, "Wu Gen Chang Wang" a spicy stew with preserved mustard, tofu, pork intestine slices and congealed pork blood cubes. Deep fried pork intestine "Zha Fei Chang" slices and dipped in a tianmianjiang sauce is popular as street hawker food. Pork tongue slices with salt and sesame oil is also a common dish, especially in Sichuan province. Braised pork ear strips in soy sauce, Wu Xiang spices and sugar is a common "cold plate" appetizer available as hawker food or in major Asian Supermarkets, such as Dahua 99 Ranch. Cleaned pork stomach roasted primarily in sugar and soy sauce then sliced is a popular "Hong Kong BBQ" style food, or "Cha Shao". Pork liver slices served stir fried with onions or in soups is another hawker food (as Chinese regard offal as blue collar food). Pork blood soup is at least 1000 years old from the Northern Song Dynasty, when the quintessential Chinese restaurant and eateries became popular. Pork blood soup and dumplings, jiaozi, were recorded as food for night labourers in Kaifeng. As well as pork, the offal of other animals is used in traditional Chinese cooking, most commonly cattle, duck, and chicken. The Cantonese dish lou mei is made by simmering the organs and off-cuts of these animals in a soy-based sauce. Contrary to a common Westerners' disgust for these dishes due to cultural unfamiliarity and sanitary concerns, these offal items are very well cleaned. The pork intestines' tough inner skin (which is exposed to bolus and pre-fecal materials) is completely removed. Then, the intestine is exhaustively soaked, cleaned and rinsed. The nephrons (urine carrying and extracting vessels) of pork kidneys are skilfully scissored out, and the kidneys are soaked for several hours and cleaned.

There is sometimes a perception of strange offal usages in traditional Chinese items. The roots of traditional Chinese medicine are a combination of Taoist and rural folk beliefs. The idea of essences and energy, heat and cold, are key. Snake blood wine with a live heart is thought to promote stamina due to the "essences of energy and heat", which is derived from a snake's attributes, such as aggressive behavior (fiery) and venom (energy). When bears were more common in the Chinese northeast, bears claw and dried bear offal were used as medicines, seen as a source of vitality. Dry deer antlers are still a common medicine, thought to provide "the essences of heat energy" to cure illnesses such as influenza and coughing. Peculiar items, such as eyes, brains and penises (especially the latter) are not popular in mainstream Chinese consumption. Pork brains were consumed and thought to promote intelligence (the folk belief that consumption of an organ enhanced the corresponding human organ or part), and Chinese often consume fish eyes in the famous Jiangnan dish called fish head stew or in other fish dishes, such as braised or steamed fish.

The Cantonese and Vietnamese consumed monkey brains, but this is now rare to non-existent, and primarily offered to rich, Western tourists. Strange items are more associated in the Chinese southeast, Vietnam and Southeast Asia, where the tropical diversity and use of exotic items captured the Westerner's imagination during the era of colonialism up to the Vietnam War and is still a target of interest for adventure-seeking Western tourists.

The Chinese mainland contains primarily more basic use of offal that is comparable to European usage. Beef tripe, for example is used as a cold appetizer mixed with soy sauce, sesame oil, chilies and other spices. Spanish, Portuguese (tripa à moda of Porto) and Eastern Europeans are some examples of European cultures where offal consumption is more common.

In Korea, offal usage is very similar to mainland China but less frequent. Grilled intestine slices and pork blood are both consumed. Medicinal usages are also similar to mainland China and less common with offal uses. Korea traditional medicine focuses more on simpler, herbaceous materials and plants, such as ginseng, jujube and ginger.

In Singapore, pig's organ soup is a common feature of hawker centres.

In Indonesia, goat's organs are very popular for soups and almost all of the parts of the animal are eaten. Cow's stomach (babat) and intestine (iso) are popular, fried or boiled, in Javanese cuisine.

In Japan chicken offal is often skewered and grilled over charcoal as yakitori, to be served alongside drinks in an izakaya (Japanese food-pub). Offal originating from cattle is also an ingredient in certain dishes (see yakiniku). However, Japanese culture mostly disdains offal use from large animals due to the traditional Japanese preference for cleanliness, derived from Shinto purity beliefs. During the Sino-Japanese War, Japanese troops took pigs from Chinese farmers and slaughtered the animals only for the major muscles (no head, feet and fully disemboweled). Japanese do prefer to consume seafood offal, since seafood is considered to be much more sanitary and pure since salt and water are considered pure.

In the Philippines, people eat practically every part of the pig, including snout, intestines, ears, and innards. Dinuguan is a particular type of blood-stew (depending on region) made using pig intestines, pork meat and sometimes ears and cheeks usually with a vinegar base, and green chili peppers. Bopis (bópiz in Spanish) is a spicy Filipino dish made out of pork lungs and heart sautéed in tomatoes, chilies and onions. Isaw is another treat enjoyed mostly in the Philippines which is a kebab made with pig's large intestine pieces barbecued and dipped in vinegar before eating.

In India and Pakistan, the goat's brain (maghaz), feet (paeyr), head (siri), stomach (ojhari or but), tongue (zabaan), liver (kalayji), kidney (gurda), udder (kheeri) and testicles (kapooray) as well as chickens' heart and liver are enjoyed. One popular dish, Kata-Kat, is a combination of spices, brains, liver, kidneys and other organs.

In the state of Karnataka in southern India, a strong-smelling dish called rakhti, made of heavily spiced porcine offal and cartilaginous tissue, is considered a homely indulgence by the local Christian community (observant Muslims avoid pork products).

In Bangladesh, a goat's brain (magoze), feet (paya), head (matha), stomach skin (bhuri), tongue (zihba), liver (kalija), kidney and testicles are delicacies. Chickens' heart and liver are also enjoyed.

In Nepal, a goat's brain (gidi), feet (khutta), head (tauko), stomach skin (bhudri), tongue (jibro), liver (kalejo), kidney, lungs(phokso), fried intestines (aandra), fried solidified blood (ragati) and to a lesser extent testicles are considered delicacies and are in very high demand in Dashain when families congregate and enjoy them with whiskey and beer. Chickens' heart and liver are also enjoyed but it is chicken's gizzards that are truly prized.

In Lebanon, lamb brain is used in nikhaat dishes and sometimes as a sandwich filling. A tradition practiced less often today would be to eat fish eyes either raw, boiled, or fried. Another popular dish in the region surrounding is korouch which is rice-stuffed sheep intestine.

In Iran, sheep liver, heart and kidneys are used as certain types of kebab and have a high popularity among people, as well as sheep intestines and stomach, though the latter is boiled. Sheep brains and tongue, along side shins, as a type of breakfast, are boiled in water and eaten with traditional bread.

USA
In the United States, the giblets of chickens, turkeys and ducks are much more commonly consumed than the organs of mammals, except for the liver, which is eaten quite commonly. Ground chicken livers, mixed with chicken fat and onions, called chopped liver, is a popular staple with American Jews. In some parts of the country the euphemism "variety meats" is used for mammal organ meat. It is illegal to sell lungs or lights for food in the United States, although some ethnic groups have traditional dishes made from them (such as lungen stew among American Jews). Mammal offal is somewhat more popular in the American South, where some recipes include chitterlings, chicken gizzards and livers, and hog maw. Scrapple, sometimes made from pork offal, is somewhat common in the Northeast US. Fried-brain sandwiches are a specialty in the Ohio River Valley. Traditional recipes for turkey gravy typically include the bird's giblets. Rocky Mountain oysters are a delicacy eaten in some cattle-raising parts of the western US and Canada.

Australia
In Australia offal is most commonly consumed in meat pies, or in ethnic dishes. Food regulations since 2003 have lifted the prohibition of offal in the meat standard, which had previously specifically banned things such as snout, genital organs, lips, lungs and scalp. These may now be added to foods, but must be named specifically in the ingredients list (not just as "offal").[1] The food standard also allows meat pies to contain snouts, ears, tongue roots, tendons and blood vessels without specific labelling.

Food safety issues
The offal of certain animals is unsafe to consume:

The liver of the polar bear is unsafe to eat because it is very high in vitamin A and can cause hypervitaminosis A, a dangerous disorder. This has been recognized since at least 1597 when Gerrit de Veer wrote in his diary that, while taking refuge in the winter in Nova Zemlya, he and his men became gravely ill after eating polar-bear liver.
The internal organs of the Fugu pufferfish are highly toxic — in Japan, fugu can only be prepared by trained master chefs, working under extremely strict regulations, sanitary conditions, and licensing. Even a residual portion of fugu toxin can be fatal.[3]
Some animal intestines are very high in coliform bacteria and need to be washed and cooked thoroughly to be safe for eating.
Nervous system tissue can be contaminated with TSE prions, which cause bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, “mad cow disease”); in some jurisdictions these offal are classified as specified risk materials and are subject to special regulations.[4]
Offal very high in purines can precipitate[citation needed] an acute attack of gout in someone with the condition.
The practice of feeding raw offal to dogs on farms and ranches can spread echinococcosis, a potentially fatal parasitic disease of animals and humans.

Health Issues
Some offal, especially brain and liver, can be very high in cholesterol.

that said, and as a Proud American of Scottish Decent and the flavor of the Lamb, Sheep and Mutton is still on my tounge since birth, I have to start with
HAGGIS

Ingredients

1 lambs stomach
1 lambs heart
1 lambs liver
½ pound suet, fresh (kidney fat is preferred)
¾ cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cup stock
Procedure

Wash stomach; rub with salt and rinse.
Remove membranes and excess fat.
Soak in cold salted water.
Turn stomach inside out.
Boil the heart and liver in water, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Chop the heart and grate the liver.
Toast the oatmeal until golden brown.
Combine all ingredients and pack into the stomach, leaving enough room for the oatmeal to expand.
Press excess air out of the stomach and sew it up.
Simmer for three hours in a pot of water, pricking small holes in the stomach so that it doesn't explode.
Serve on a hot platter.

Madras style
1 lb Sheep's liiver
1 large onion (sliced)
2 tab spoons Garlic (sliced)
1/2 tsp Ghee
3 tlb spoons
1 tlb Curry powder
1 tlb spoon Tamarind pulp
3 tlb Tomato paste
Salt to taste  

1. Cut the liver in 1 inch of cube size. Wash it very well.

2. Fry the onion and garlic for 4 minutes. Add curry powder and stir it for 2/3 minutes. Now add tomato paste. Mix it well and put some water. Cook it till it get thick.

3. Put liver and simmer till cooked. Add tamarind pulp and salt.  

due to the strength in taste and over all lamb and sheep liver as Offal, is not a HUGE favorite in too many places I can only reccomend you use similar recipes for beef liver and keep in mind that the lambs liver will be a much stronger flavor.

Liver and Onions
INGREDIENTS
2 pounds sliced liver
1 1/2 cups milk, or as needed
1/4 cup butter, divided
2 large Vidalia onions, sliced into rings
2 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Gently rinse liver slices under cold water, and place in a medium bowl. Pour in enough milk to cover. Let stand while preparing onions. (I like to soak up to an hour or two - whatever you have time for.) This step is SO important in taking the bitter taste of the liver out.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Separate onion rings, and saute them in butter until soft. Remove onions, and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and put it in a shallow dish or on a plate. Drain milk from liver, and coat slices in the flour mixture.
When the butter has melted, turn the heat up to medium-high, and place the coated liver slices in the pan. Cook until nice and brown on the bottom. Turn, and cook on the other side until browned. Add onions, and reduce heat to medium. Cook a bit longer to taste. Our family prefers the liver to just barely retain a pinkness on the inside when you cut to check. Enjoy!

Tarragon liver
INGREDIENTS
1 pound liver, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
1 lemon, cut into thin slices
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
Dredge liver slices in flour, shaking off excess, and season with salt and pepper.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook liver for 5 minutes per side, reducing heat if necessary. Transfer to a heated serving dish, and keep warm.
In the same skillet, increase heat to medium high and add tarragon vinegar, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. If necessary, add a small amount of water to increase sauce. Lay lemon slices over liver, and pour sauce over the top. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

Kidneys on the other hand are much more common in use around the globe, France, Greese. England etc all all enjoy this bit of offal where as here in the states, not so much

Lamb kidneys with lemon and mustard
Ingredients

6 tablespoons butter, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 lbs veal kidneys or lambs kidneys (or both)
1 tablespoon minced shallot or green onion
1/2 cup dry white wine or dry white vermouth
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Directions
Mash together the mustard and 3 tablespoons of the butter and set aside.
Remove the button of fat at the kidney hilum without piercing the flesh. Kitchen scissors work best for me. If the butcher left any opaque membrane on the kidney, remove it.
Over medium heat melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet until the foam begins to subside.
Roll the kidneys in the melted butter, then cook them uncovered for about 10 minutes, turning every minute or two. Regulate the heat so that the butter is always very hot but not discoloring. The kidneys should brown lightly and stiffen but not become hard.
Remove them from the skillet and keep warm for the few minutes it takes to make the sauce.
Stir the shallots into the butter in the skillet and cook for about one minute. Add the wine and the lemon juice. Boil, scraping up the coagulated cooking juices and reduce the liquids to about 4 tablespoons.
Off heat swirl in the mustard butter by spoonfuls into the skillet.
Rapidly cut the kidneys into slices 1/8 inch thick (they should be a light pink). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Toss the kidney slices in the skillet with their juices and the parsley over low heat for a minute or two to warm them without allowing the sauce to simmer.
Serve immediately, preferably on warmed plates.

lamb kidneys in cabbage leaves

Ingredients
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 8 lamb kidney, trimmed
- 14 oz tagliatelle
- 3/4 cup veal stock
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 8 Savoy cabbage leaves
- 2 carrots
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp. thick crème fraîche
- Salt and pepper

directions
Wash the cabbage leaves and blanch them for 3 minutes in boiling salted water; drain and dry with paper towels;
Lay out the cabbage leaves; place a kidney in the center of each one; season with salt and pepper. Fold the leaves over the kidneys to form little packages and tie them closed with kitchen string.
Place the packages into a cocotte or Dutch oven with the butter and brown gently for about 30 minutes over low heat, turning and basting them often with melted butter. Keep hot.
Discard the fat from the pan; add the white wine and reduce to three-quarters.
Add the veal stock, crème fraîche and boil for 3 minutes.
Cook the tagliatelle al dente in boiling salted water.
Wash and peel the carrots; cut into thin sticks and blanch in boiling water.
Serve the cabbage-wrapped kidneys topped with the sauce and accompanied by the carrot sticks and tagliatelle.

lamb kidneys Bourguignonne

Ingredients:
18 lamb kidneys
1/2 cup flour
1 salt
1 pepper, freshly ground
6 tablespoon butter
2 shallots, minced
1/2 lb mushrooms, minced
2 cup dry red wine
1/2 bay leaf
1 tablespoon minced watercress
1 tablespoon minced celery
1/4 teaspoon thyme

Soak the kidneys in cold water for 10 minutes.
Remove the membranes and connective tissue and cut the kidneys across in half.
Season the flour with the salt and pepper and dredge the kidneys. Saute them in 4 tablespoons of the butter and set aside. Add the shallots and mushrooms to the butter. Sprinkle with two tablespoons of the dredging flour and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the wine, bay leaf, watercress, celery, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few grindings of black pepper. Stir well and add the kidneys; cover the skillet and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and correct the seasoning.
Serve over rice.

hope that helps

CHEF
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Chef Morris,      I having trouble producing salsa that resembles that of a mexican restaurant. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks

Link Posted: 2/26/2009 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By littlebeavis:

Chef Morris,      I having trouble producing salsa that resembles that of a mexican restaurant. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks

bevis, need to know what your doing before I can say what your doing wrong, let me know

CHEF
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 9:38:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Intimdtr77] [#44]
Chef, I wanted to make a cream sauce for Sunday sauce.
What can I add to my usual Sunday sauce (ya know...sauce, soogo for spaghetti, ziti and ravs and such) to make it comparable to the cream sauces I have in restaurants?
Is it as simple as just adding heavy cream to the finished sauce? Someone said cream cheese?

While I got ya, how about an Alfredo sauce recipe? I have a recipe  I have been using, but it yields a gallon.
I usually freeze the rest, I was more curious to other sauce recipe's out there.
I love that Olive Garden 4/5 cheese sauce they came out with a few years ago.
Although their Alfredo sauce is still my all time favorite!  
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 5:57:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#45]
Originally Posted By Intimdtr77:
Chef, I wanted to make a cream sauce for Sunday sauce.
What can I add to my usual Sunday sauce (ya know...sauce, soogo for spaghetti, ziti and ravs and such) to make it comparable to the cream sauces I have in restaurants?
Is it as simple as just adding heavy cream to the finished sauce? Someone said cream cheese?

While I got ya, how about an Alfredo sauce recipe? I have a recipe  I have been using, but it yields a gallon.
I usually freeze the rest, I was more curious to other sauce recipe's out there.
I love that Olive Garden 4/5 cheese sauce they came out with a few years ago.
Although their Alfredo sauce is still my all time favorite!  

Olive Garden

you come into my thread and bring up Olive Garden,,a mockery of Italian restaurants? A mocked up Italian restaurant with PRETEND CHEFS!
some Marketing Dweebs Impression of what an Italian restaurant "ought" to be and YOU CALL YOUR SELF AN ITALIAN

that said,
lets start with, CHECK MY sticky at the top of the food page and see my index, in it are the 5 mother sauces and MY SECRET ALFREDO SAUCE.

then, come back here and read this

Bechamel Sauce

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons grated onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 pinch dried thyme
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper

MICROWAVE METHOD: In microwave oven, melt butter in a 1-quart glass measuring pitcher for about 1 minute at HIGH.
Add grated onion and flour and mix well. Gradually add warm or room temperature chicken broth (NOT hot) and half-and-half to container, stirring constantly.
Cook uncovered for 5-6 minutes at HIGH or until sauce is thickened. Do NOT boil.
After 2 minutes, stir mixture, then stir again every 30 seconds to one minute as needed. When sauce reaches medium thickness, remove from microwave, add seasonings and stir. Mmmm!
STOVETOP METHOD: In a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in the flour, salt and white pepper. Add cold half-and-half and COLD chicken broth all at once. Stir well. Cook, stirring frequently, at medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and stir in seasoning.

once you have masterd this sauce, the world is unlimited in what you can make with a white sauce base,,cept Mayo, thats another mother sauce.
with this sauce you can make
clam
shrimp
alfredo
mussel
chicken
fish
veggie
4, 6 hell 10 cheese sauce.
thanks for stopping by

CHEF

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 5:56:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#46]
new england
1/2 cp chopped bread and butter pickles. or dill.
1/4 cp, minced onion
1/2 cp mayo
1/2 tsp lemon juice
reserve a bit of pickle juice if too thick
cracked black pepper to preferance, pinch of salt.

creole
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Creole or whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt

SOCAL
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
4 tablespoons dill pickle, drained and chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño peppers
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
Salt, to taste

lemon dill
1 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dill pickles, minced
1 teaspoon Capers
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dill weed (fresh)
2 teaspoons Parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

HOT
Ingredients:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup horseradish sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons pickle relish
1 dash black pepper

CHEF
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#47]
The BEST mayo I've used for tartar sauce is Heinz.
I don't know why it makes it so darn good but you end up with Captain D's tartar sauce.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#48]
thanks Chef!

i whipped up the new england as i didnt have any capers to do the lemon dill..
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By tlee_20:
thanks Chef!

i whipped up the new england as i didnt have any capers to do the lemon dill..

your welcome

Chef..
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:52:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#50]
Originally Posted By Cockatoo:
The BEST mayo I've used for tartar sauce is Heinz.
I don't know why it makes it so darn good but you end up with Captain D's tartar sauce.

I honesty didn't know Heinz mayo was on the grocery shelf.
I have seen in in packets in Fast food but not at the store..will check it out.

Mayonaise/hollendaise is one of the FIVE MOTHER SAUCES established by Master Chef Careme' around 200 years ago..

Mother Sauce's are the basic sauce's to use in making other variations of the original sauce.
All sauces are now universally categorized into one of these 5 groups Grand or Mother Sauces.

The Grand Sauces include:
1) Brown (demi-glace) or Espagnole - sauces that are brown stock-based, such as brown sauces. Common sauces in this group include Bordelaise, Chasseur, Chateaubriand, Diable, Diane, Estragon, Lyonnaise, Madère, Madeira, Moscovite, Mushroom, Piquante, Porto, Robert, Romaine, Tarragon, and Zingara.

2) Velouté - sauces that are made with white stock and roux. Common sauces in this group include, Allemande, Ravigote, Suprème, and White Bordelaise.

3) Béchamel - sauces that are made with milk and pale roux. Common sauces in this group include Crème, Mornay and Soubise.

4) Red or Tomato Sauces - tomato based sauces. Common sauces in this category include Spaghetti sauce, Marinara sauce and a wide variety of tomato sauces.

5) Emulsions - sauces that are emulsified such as Hollandaise or Mayonnaise.

on that note,,I make my own mayo, it is much easier than many folk would think,

Ingredients

4 Jumbo Egg Yolks (separate and discard the whites or make a big fluffy omelette)
6 Teaspoons Real Lemon Brand Lemon Juice [this is where canned juice is better]
3 cups soybean oil/canola oil or sunflower oil, OLIVE OIL isn't good. breaks down.
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar or 1/2 packet of Splenda or other atrificial sweetener)
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
pinch of white pepper or touch of Tabasco.

The key to making mayonnaise is to avoid having the components of the emulsion separate back into the components. In cooking, this is called breaking. No matter how much you mix the oil and lemon juice together, it will always separate (break) into a gooey mess unless you include the egg yolk as a stabilizer.

First, separate the yolks from four jumbo eggs and place it in your mixer with the lemon juice. The whites from the egg should be discarded or used in other recipes. If you try to include them, the recipe will not work.

mix the yolk and juice together using a high speed mixer with a wire whip until the mixture is frothy. ( you can use a blender or food processor as well)
Let the egg yolk mixture sit for 3-5 minutes. There is always a danger in using raw eggs in any recipe, letting this mixture sit for a few minutes allows the lemon juice to burn out bacteria, literally cook the egg yolks..

start to whip the egg mixture, the very slowly dribble in the oil. Remember that you are mixing a large amount of oil into a very small amount of lemon juice. This takes a lot of time. You should not try to pour the oil in faster than about 1/2 teaspoonful per second.  Once all the oil is in, blend a few seconds longer just to insure it is fully mixed.
Then slowly blend in the other ingredients, refrigerate for about an hour before use to allow the seasoning to breakdown and fully flavor you mayo. Always refrigerate after use and to hold salads made with mayo..

A practiced hand can whip up a quart of Mayo in a few minutes with todays food processors,,vs the old hand whip/two person method

CHEF

ETA
the difference between mayo and salad dressing is

OIL
there is a larger percentage of oil to egg in salad dressing V egg to oil in Mayo
and Miracle whip, JUST IS..

it is a closely guarded secret of the Kraft corp, sort of like Coke and Pepsi and Archway cookies.

Page / 50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top