Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 9:52:10 PM EDT
I'm moving to an new area. Have always been interested in the Masons and wanted to visit the lodge and see if it was something I wanted to do (and, obviously, if they wanted me).  

I find that there are several different lodges in a small geographic area around my eventual new home.  Which one would I approach to start my process?

They are:

St. John's Lodge
AF&FM Lodge
Orient Lodge
Scottsih Rite Lodge (pretty sure that's not where you start).

They all have different addresses.

Which one is the first stop?  And what are the other ones?  I read the tacked thread but I didn't see anything about this.

Any help appreciated..
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You must be a current member of a lodge to join Scottish Rite.

Visit all of them.  Every lodge has its own personality.  Do their meeting nights fit your schedule?  Are they more or less active of a lodge (how busy do you want to be)?  What is the age demographic?  Find the one that fits you the best.
View Quote

First post nails it as usual.

Visit each of them and find the one that you feel the most comfortable with.  As with churches and jobs, no Lodge is perfect.  Find the one that is the most welcoming and convenient for you.  Hopefully you will be spending a lot of time there, so you need to like it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm moving to an new area. Have always been interested in the Masons and wanted to visit the lodge and see if it was something I wanted to do (and, obviously, if they wanted me).  

I find that there are several different lodges in a small geographic area around my eventual new home.  Which one would I approach to start my process?

They are:

St. John's Lodge

AF&FM Lodge

Orient Lodge

Scottsih Rite Lodge (pretty sure that's not where you start).

They all have different addresses.

Which one is the first stop?  And what are the other ones?  I read the tacked thread but I didn't see anything about this.

Any help appreciated..
View Quote
in what state do you reside?

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing that I might add is that make sure that you don't join a lodge that is considered clandestine by mainstream Masonry.  There are a lot of unrecognized lodges in some areas.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Google the Grand Lodge of the state you are in - that should provide you a full and current list of all recognized lodges in your area, regions, districts, meeting info, etc., and should also help you avoid the clandestine issue previously mentioned. It should also provide you with the process and requirements for membership, and even information on all appendant bodies available to you once you become a Master Mason, and the charities that they help and support.

Enjoy your journey!

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
this.. orient lodges are clandestine here.

also membership in the scottish rite is also dependant upon being in a recognised blue lodge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing that I might add is that make sure that you don't join a lodge that is considered clandestine by mainstream Masonry.  There are a lot of unrecognized lodges in some areas.

also membership in the scottish rite is also dependant upon being in a recognised blue lodge.

I assumed from reading the post that was the local Shrine lodge.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it. Check the Grand Lodge website for whatever location you are living in. If recognized by the Grand Lodge you should be good to go.
And a bit of advice I was given....if you are married, save time for your family...Masonry will always have more things that you can do than you have time to give.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, lodges have districts and if you live in the district of one lodge and you want to join a different one, they have to inquire of your local lodge before they can accept you. This is mostly a formality now, but it has to be done. The advice to meet several lodges and petition the on that best appeals to you is the best advice you can get. They won't care which one you join. You won't be the first man to go out of your district. But, it may take longer to process your application if you do it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Also, lodges have districts and if you live in the district of one lodge and you want to join a different one, they have to inquire of your local lodge before they can accept you. This is mostly a formality now, but it has to be done. The advice to meet several lodges and petition the on that best appeals to you is the best advice you can get. They won't care which one you join. You won't be the first man to go out of your district. But, it may take longer to process your application if you do it.
View Quote
that's not true in all states.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top