Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2015 6:46:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No more education than most candidates get while going thru them normally it's about the same level of injustice.  We need to start building Master Masons, not manufacturing them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm back on forth on these.  

There was one candidate from my lodge who attended.  I have been his coach for 8 months since he was initiated.  English second language, he could not grasp the memory work to move on.  This was the only option for him to progress and stay in the organization.

We have had some groups with atrocious attrition rates, others that have many who go on to be very productive Masons and even served as GL officers.
View Quote
If he can't memorize the work he shouldn't be a member.  That's my opinion.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen it done in the case of service men with 'travel needs' and. heard of one case for a terminal candidate.

past extenuating circumstances, it just seems like a means to an end, not a learning progression.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
And how many out of the 36 are going to attend meetings?  How many are still going to be paying dues in 3 years?  25% if you are lucky
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And how many out of the 36 are going to attend meetings?  How many are still going to be paying dues in 3 years?  25% if you are lucky
View Quote

Well, the obvious answer is 9.  So, if you were to say raise 4 new Master Masons in a year you'd have 1.

Now, it doesn't take a PhD in mathematics to see which is a more practical method of growing and bettering the fraternity.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was one candidate from my lodge who attended.  I have been his coach for 8 months since he was initiated.  English second language, he could not grasp the memory work to move on.  This was the only option for him to progress and stay in the organization.

We have had some groups with atrocious attrition rates, others that have many who go on to be very productive Masons and even served as GL officers.

Really?  The ability to regurgitate words is more important that understanding their meanings and living by them?

I mean no disrespect, but this attitude is in the top 10% of what's wrong with our Craft.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Really?  The ability to regurgitate words is more important that understanding their meanings and living by them?

I mean no disrespect, but this attitude is in the top 10% of what's wrong with our Craft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. Let's just throw traditions out the window. If your mentor doesn't teach you the meanings of the catechism while your learning to "regurgitate" it back I think that's what's wrong with freemasonry today. I prefer to learn to "receive, retain, and impart" knowledge. If all the three degrees gets thrown on you in one day how much do you retain?  This world of instant satisfaction is going to be the end of us all.

May Brotherly Love Prevail.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow. Let's just throw traditions out the window. If your mentor doesn't teach you the meanings of the catechism while your learning to "regurgitate" it back I think that's what's wrong with freemasonry today. I prefer to learn to "receive, retain, and impart" knowledge. If all the three degrees gets thrown on you in one day how much do you retain?  This world of instant satisfaction is going to be the end of us all.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a 7th generation Freemason, my sons are now the 8th.  Tradition is very, very important to me.  But, I also understand that to survive, grow and prosper we must adapt.  The world is not what it was 100 years ago.  If we don't change how we do things, there will be no traditions to pass on.

You do not retain any less of what you actually initially receive by taking your degrees alone or in a group.   In fact, I'd argue that those that watch the degree will initially retain more than the candidate.  That's how you learn them long term.  Watching and listening to the work is much more instructive than having it wash over you.

Having said that:  you do loose a part of the emotional experience of being Initiated, Passed and Raised.  Of that there can be no argument.  I would never advocate a group participating in the 2nd Section of the Master Mason Degree together.

Knowing the words does not equate to understanding the words.  I don't believe a Lodge Counselor, Mentor, Teacher, Brother, what have you, can or should tell you what are the meanings of the lessons of Freemasonry.  Each man must find those in his own heart.  That isn't done over a period of a day, week, month or even year.  That's a lifetime of thought, experience and yes; change that the man must travel.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]

In PA we call it a One Day Class.

I have been participating in the classes for 4 years, either as an officer or mentor.

I have mixed feelings about the classes, but to be honest, they work well in my jurisdiction.

Right now, we have 3 graduates of the one day class  in our line. All 3 are fine men and have been Masons for over 4 years. 2 of the men are father and son.

Some of the guys you never see again, but you get that the traditional way. Some just want to join the Shriners, and that's fine too, as they pay their dues.  we have to have the membership if we want to support our charities.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, the obvious answer is 9.  So, if you were to say raise 4 new Master Masons in a year you'd have 1.

Now, it doesn't take a PhD in mathematics to see which is a more practical method of growing and bettering the fraternity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GLNY is rolling out a process starting with  on boarding potential candidates from initial contact through the investigation and voting process as well as putting in a very well crafted education program for each Degree as well as an assigned 1 to 1 mentor to help them with everyrthing from memory work, Masonic education and etiquette along with a councilor who can teach the mentors and oversee the process.  I am one of the first certified Master Councilors in the state.  They adopted the same program that other Jurist Dictions are using and the program has been proven to stop the membership bleed with new Masons
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The stats vary quite a bit on this.  Some classes it is terrible, others it seems to be a great success.

We have some lodges in the state that have worse attrition rates from the traditional initiation process than the accelerated classes.

How much of it boils down to good candidate investigations and candidate prep?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stats vary quite a bit on this.  Some classes it is terrible, others it seems to be a great success.

We have some lodges in the state that have worse attrition rates from the traditional initiation process than the accelerated classes.

No, because at the end of the day you are going to have a very confused man who just had all three Degrees dumped on him in a single sitting with no education or time to digest what just happened.  Was there any follow up to explain to them on a person to person basis what it is that they just went through, any education at all?? Did they even sit  with any of the members of the Lodge they are petitioning besides an investigating committee of one or two brothers before having his petition voted on and making what is supposed to be a lifetime commitment?  Did those Bros on the committee ask the man why he was petitioning and what he was looking for by joining?  How many appendent bodies where there handing out petitions and doing initiations as well?  That will get them even more confused.  8 hours later, 3 different dues cards in their wallet and confused as the day is long.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, because at the end of the day you are going to have a very confused man who just had all three Degrees dumped on him in a single sitting with no education or time to digest what just happened.  Was there any follow up to explain to them on a person to person basis what it is that they just went through, any education at all?? Did they even sit  with any of the members of the Lodge they are petitioning besides an investigating committee of one or two brothers before having his petition voted on and making what is supposed to be a lifetime commitment?  Did those Bros on the committee ask the man why he was petitioning and what he was looking for by joining?  How many appendent bodies where there handing out petitions and doing initiations as well?  That will get them even more confused.  8 hours later, 3 different dues cards in their wallet and confused as the day is long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what you're saying.  But let's face it, we really missed out on the majority of the Baby Boomers because we didn't move off the traditional model.  

We're very nearly passing Gen X by because we don't recognize how important diversity and social justice is to them.  Let's face it, Freemasonry is really about diversity and social justice.  What other organization is as accepting of men of all religions, creeds and colors?  Yet, we only project ourselves as a bunch of old institutionalized elitists.  Who does more for the sick and afflicted than Freemasons?  No one.  But we suck at letting the world know.  Gen Xers don't have time to sit around and wait.  It's not in their DNA.  If we can appeal to their sense of helping others and keep their attention we'll get them.  But sitting around in a boring business meeting, after months of waiting, ain't gonna work with them.

Since Freemasonry isn't all about "Me", Millennials are probably going to be a lost cause.

If we don't change how we do some things, Freemasonry ends with us.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
First, we have to go get them.  We have to make it appealing and interesting.

Then, we have to let them progress in their postings at an accelerated rate, if they have the capacity and desire.  These are educated people.  They can process information much more quickly and efficiently than illiterate medieval brick layers.

Next, we must give them something every time we have a meeting.  Masonic education must be a part of everything we do.  Business meetings will turn them away faster than anything.  

We must give them something to do.  "Sit in the corner sonny, the adults are talking.", will not work with these guys.  They have to be a part of what's going on.

Appeal to their charitable nature.  Educate them in what it is we really do for the world and let them then do it.

Finally, involve their families.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't like it for reasons already assigned.  We don't do it in our jurisdiction. The GM can make a man a Mason on the spot, but normally done under very serious circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#22]
We don't do it either.  I'm not necessarily for it.  It seems to be working elsewhere.  All I am certain of is that what we have been doing no longer works.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I think rushing a man through the degrees robs him of the mystery and experience. In this day and age of instant gratification I think making a man wait and do the work is something needed. It lets you get to know someone that could be a brother. It allows the lodge time to defend itself against those that would do it harm. It allows the potential brother to truly know and trust those putting him through the ordeal. I think a one day class is classless casual and lazy.

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Missouri removed ritual proficiency from the Grand Lodge Constitution in 1991. We still encouraged it in our Lodge but could not require it to advance. Missouri allows a one day EA to MM called "Chance to Advance". I never participated and while we couldn't discourage our incoming candidates we tried our best to explain how the proficiency would make their Masonic travels much more meaningful. We usually did the EA in Lodge so there was at least a foundation for the Brother. The only thing I liked about C2A was that while the EA and FC portions were done with a representative candidate, each MM was raised individually so they at least had the personal experience of the full degree.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I think it's a horrible idea. I went through degree work with two men- both 30-40 years my senior. We are steadfast friends- would not have happened in one day. I think it steals the meaning of each individual degree. My grandfather raised me ....it meant so much more having him there for all three degrees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top