Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2015 2:39:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Good lesson for all, Beer.

I wouldn't go straight to the East if I returned. I would sit in Lodge for a  year and make sure its something I want and the Lodge needs.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]
As my Brother Chris Hodap (Author of Freemasonry For Dummies) says, "Sometimes, it will take a lot more Masonic funerals before things will change"
40sum year MM
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As my Brother Chris Hodap (Author of Freemasonry For Dummies) says, "Sometimes, it will take a lot more Masonic funerals before things will change"
40sum year MM
View Quote

Yeah.  A PMIGM here always says, "Nothing a couple of good Masonic funerals can't solve."
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

we need a like button.

it really burns my ass to see lodges run by long term masons that joined for the benefits and social club aspect and never learned what it means to actually be a MM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
40sum year MM

we need a like button.

it really burns my ass to see lodges run by long term masons that joined for the benefits and social club aspect and never learned what it means to actually be a MM.

Amen Brother!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep I was a couple of years into leadership and walked away due to the same type of crap. I wish WV had dual membership with PA. I'm done with my old lodge(It will take many more funerals to root out the rotten core), but have nothing against PA. Unfortunately, the primary turds plans have come to fruition and is now a DDGM.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I wish WV had dual membership with PA.
View Quote

You can visit our lodges all you want.

I'm friends with the DDGM of District 12 and he comes to many lodges and events in the 29th District here in PA.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Masonic leadership certainly can be tiring and frustrating.  But at the same time it is, IMO, rewarding and worth the effort.

For far too long the leadership has fallen into two categories:  the status-quo/we've always done it this way or it's all about me.  These two things are killing the institution.  If we don't change how the fraternity if run, and now, it is doomed.  If not us, who?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm friends with the DDGM of District 12 and he comes to many lodges and events in the 29th District here in PA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the problem, I am  PA mason, district 3, George Washington Lodge 143, I live in WV which does not have any form of dual membership. I don't want to leave PA completely.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

oddly enough if we base our decisions on what masonry teaches us many of these issues disappear. the issue we have is we have WAY to few men that know what masonry teaches because they were never required or had the drive to learn it.  I hate to say it but masonry in alabama has become a 75% good ol boys club vs masonic organization. in any given lodge here you will have 4-5 members that have actually studied masonic philosophy and try to live by it. sadly they tend to become outsiders in the lodges, either by choice or being forced out by the "good ol boys". that really saddens me. We have grand discussions on why membership is down, well THERE is your reason brothers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Masonic leadership certainly can be tiring and frustrating.  But at the same time it is, IMO, rewarding and worth the effort.

For far too long the leadership has fallen into two categories:  the status-quo/we've always done it this way or it's all about me.  These two things are killing the institution.  If we don't change how the fraternity if run, and now, it is doomed.  If not us, who?

oddly enough if we base our decisions on what masonry teaches us many of these issues disappear. the issue we have is we have WAY to few men that know what masonry teaches because they were never required or had the drive to learn it.  I hate to say it but masonry in alabama has become a 75% good ol boys club vs masonic organization. in any given lodge here you will have 4-5 members that have actually studied masonic philosophy and try to live by it. sadly they tend to become outsiders in the lodges, either by choice or being forced out by the "good ol boys". that really saddens me. We have grand discussions on why membership is down, well THERE is your reason brothers.

I did not become a Mason for the gold or the power of the good ol boy network. I became a Mason because I looked around one day and a formerly shitty life had improved considerably and I felt the need to get off the couch and try and be a positive influence for others. My lodges good ol boy network has driven me back to the couch, temporarily.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You don't have to be a member of a lodge to visit it. As long as you are a regular and current mason who is neither suspended nor expelled, you can visit any other regular lodge in the world.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the problem, I am  PA mason, district 3, George Washington Lodge 143, I live in WV which does not have any form of dual membership. I don't want to leave PA completely.
You don't have to be a member of a lodge to visit it. As long as you are a regular and current mason who is neither suspended nor expelled, you can visit any other regular lodge in the world.  

I am fully aware of that,I have visited around a dozen other lodges. I want to be able to become a member of the lodge in my hometown, I can not due that without dropping my PA membership. I will not due that. WV has a few problems their Grand Lodge needs to fix in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I did not become a Mason for the gold or the power of the good ol boy network. I became a Mason because I looked around one day and a formerly shitty life had improved considerably and I felt the need to get off the couch and try and be a positive influence for others. My lodges good ol boy network has driven me back to the couch, temporarily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am raising money for the Cryptic Mason Foundation of Wisconsin, Inc.  This year, in-lieu of a MIGM's Testimonial Dinner I asked for donations.  The other night at my Red Cross of Constantine meeting, after hearing the Treasurer's report, I asked for a donation.  My RCC Conclave has a good bit of money that we do nothing with.  Upon my request, the Treasurer (who is a PGHP) said, "We're a social organization, not a Masonic one."  A PREGC piped-up with, "That's bullshit!  Write the check."  And the Knight Companions agreed.

So, the point is; we must continue to press forward.  We can't let the old guard and nay-sayers get in the way and discourage us.  If we give-up, we abandon those precepts and principles we so strongly believe.  If we give-up, the institution will continue to flounder.  If we give-up, future generations will not have the opportunity to be brought to Light.  If we give-up, all the words will be lost.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear what your saying, however it would take a very long time for the guard to change at my lodge, They are a long lived group of codgers. The in crowd has quite a bit of lodge and local power. They are a large group of guys of varying ages. They are not dumb and have planted seeds that will last generations. One of the ringleaders is now a DDGM. before him we had a vote that drew several very much deserved blackballs. The DDGM at that time freaked and the end result was the black balls turned white. That was it as far as staying in a leadership position in that lodge for me.

These days away from the lodge I have had far more occasions to be the Mason I desired to be. I am not done with being an active member, just not with those guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top