Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2014 5:47:17 AM EDT
. . but my cooking ability is very limited.

I would be responsible for preparing dinner for roughly 30 brothers and guests once a month and then providing snacks for our second stated meeting.

What are some easy meals I could do?

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Lasagna is nice because you can make it in advance in disposable pans.  If your lodge has an oven it is easy to toss it in and bake it or you can pre bake it, freeze it, and warm it through.

Long horn tacos.  It's cooked taco meat, layered with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, ect. and topped with tortilla chips.  Easy to fix taco meat, chop veg, and do the prep work at home.  Warm the meat at the lodge and then pour the other stuff on top.

Look up quick cooking magazine.  They have a lot of easy stuff in there.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Meatball sandwiches.
Sam's club has pretty good meatballs in bulk.

What's your budget?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#3]
With a Crock pot u can make
Sweet Sausage sandwiches

Cook sausages in a jar of pasta sauce and cut up peppers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was SS I made spaghetti for a meeting one night from scratch.  I came in at noon and started the sauce.  Three PM's said they liked jarred sauce better.  The next meeting I brought Hostess powdered doughnuts and a bag of Doritos.  No one ever has complained to any Steward since.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was SS I made spaghetti for a meeting one night from scratch.  I came in at noon and started the sauce.  Three PM's said they liked jarred sauce better.  The next meeting I brought Hostess powdered doughnuts and a bag of Doritos.  No one ever has complained to any Steward since.
View Quote

Well played.

I find it interesting that the SS handles the meals.  In our Lodge the JW has that responsibility.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]

I my lodge we are very lucky to have a Brother who is a  Chef.  He does everything.

During big affairs a couple of Brothers  help him out.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The JW should be coordinating it, but the Stewards make up the rest of his team.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well played.

I find it interesting that the SS handles the meals.  In our Lodge the JW has that responsibility.

The JW should be coordinating it, but the Stewards make up the rest of his team.

^ This
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Brothers, thanks for the comments.

I believe our budget is about $5-10 per brother.  

One of our brothers is a professional chef, but it is really hard for him to get away to cook for the lodge.  I can probably count on him for "big" nights -- when the Grand Master is visiting, etc.

Only the stewards in our lodge handle the dinner, the JW is not involved at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Sloppy Joes

pulled pork is real easy. Pork butt in a crock pot covered with sweet baby rays. sides of corn and baked beans.

Chili is pretty easy and so is a house salad for each person.

We eat before the meeting an always have at least 2 cookouts. Bring a gas grill and do hot dogs and hamburgers and side of baked beans. Do yourself a  favor and buy the burgers already formed. have at least half of the burgers precooked, almost done.... that way nobody is waiting real long for a burger.  make sure its 160 internal temp.

having a cookout is also a good time to put up a sign out front inviting men in for a quick tour and a free dinner.... like an informal open house. Most guys wont stop in, but we get a few everytime and that turns into petitions.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
It amazes me that people think we're trying to take over the world, when we can't even decide what's for dinner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top