Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2014 6:54:32 AM EDT
I have a couple of questions and I was hoping someone here could answer them. For the purpose of full disclosure, I am not a Mason. I have had discussions with people who I see adorned with the S&C,  who are Prince Hall Masons and a few points have come up that struck me as odd or at least inconsistent with what I have heard from Blue lodge(?) Masons.

My first question is- was George Washington a mason. In a conversation today I was told that Washington was an only"honorary Mason." That seems to go against, at least the mainstream, story of Washington.

2) Does a member one of the appendant bodies has to be of age equal to the degree he seeks. i.e- to hold the 33rd degree in SR would a mason have to be 33 years old?

3) The last question I have is the statement the Prince Hall Masonry hold the oldest charter in the US. How could that be possible if lodges were operating on the American continent for more then 100 years prior to the formation of PH Masonry?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is my take:

1) George Washington was a regular Mason (not honorary) and was Worshipful Master of the Alexandria Lodge (No 22) in Virginia.

2) I've never heard of an age-related requirement like this, but there are two Scottish Rite jurisdictions and perhaps the Northern one does this.

3)  The Prince Hall charter is the oldest charter that anyone in the US still physically has.  Other charters are older, but have been lost over time (to fire, etc.).
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have a couple of questions and I was hoping someone here could answer them. For the purpose of full disclosure, I am not a Mason. I have had discussions with people who I see adorned with the S&C,  who are Prince Hall Masons and a few points have come up that struck me as odd or at least inconsistent with what I have heard from Blue lodge(?) Masons.

My first question is- was George Washington a mason. In a conversation today I was told that Washington was an only"honorary Mason." That seems to go against, at least the mainstream, story of Washington.

2) Does a member one of the appendant bodies has to be of age equal to the degree he seeks. i.e- to hold the 33rd degree in SR would a mason have to be 33 years old?

3) The last question I have is the statement the Prince Hall Masonry hold the oldest charter in the US. How could that be possible if lodges were operating on the American continent for more then 100 years prior to the formation of PH Masonry?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

1 Yes.  Washington joined at the age of 20 in Fredericksburg VA.  Read about him here. http://gwmemorial.org/washingtonTheMason.php

2 No. Age isn't relevant.

3... Freemasonry in North America was established by Henry Price in 1733.

Black Freemasonry began when Prince Hall and fourteen other         free black men were initiated into Lodge No. 441, Irish Constitution,         attached to the 38th Regiment of Foot, British Army Garrisoned at Castle         William (now Fort Independence) Boston Harbor on March  6, 1775

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here is my take:

2) I've never heard of an age-related requirement like this, but there are two Scottish Rite jurisdictions and perhaps the Northern one does this.

View Quote
nope

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like everything this person told me was false and I shouldn't believe anything he tells me in the future.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sounds like everything this person told me was false and I shouldn't believe anything he tells me in the future.
View Quote

a lot of what people say about Freemasonry is false.  Everyone at my job knows I'm a Mason, 32nd SR and a Shriner.  None of them knows what that means exactly, but theres always this one guy, who think he's and expert on it all.

I can always tell when theres something on the Discovery channel about Masonry because of the increase in questions about the craft.

If you want to know what it is to be a Mason, you have to become one.

============================

Your contact at PH probably means well and he's probably proud of his craft, but what really matters is that he is a good upright man who keeps the  highest regard for his Brothers, His Family and His God.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
a lot of what people say about Freemasonry is false.  Everyone at my job knows I'm a Mason, 32nd SR and a Shriner.  None of them knows what that means exactly, but theres always this one guy, who think he's and expert on it all.

I can always tell when theres something on the Discovery channel about Masonry because of the increase in questions about the craft.

Your contact at PH probably means well and he's probably proud of his craft, but what really matters is that he is a good upright man who keeps the  highest regard for his Brothers, His Family and His God.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason masonry, as a subject, came up was I noticed he had several S&C tattoos.  He claimed to be a 33rd degree mason but he said a bunch of stuff that just didn't seem to jive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The only reason masonry, as a subject, came up was I noticed he had several S&C tattoos.  He claimed to be a 33rd degree mason but he said a bunch of stuff that just didn't seem to jive.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps hes not even one at all. Ive run into a couple who wear the rings and put signs on the cars, but are not Masons. We know who they are...

PH Masonry isn't recocnized by all the states. Masonry in the USA is not governed by one Grand Lodge. Its by done by states, each state has its own Grand Lodge. Some Grand Lodges don't recognize PH Masons at all. PH may have different rules, but I know for a fact that PH Masons are super proud of their craft and would never do anything to harm it or disrespect it. Most PH lodges are harder to get into than regular Freemasonry. They want the best out of their candidates.

Let me be very clear on this subject. To become a 33rd in Freemasonry, you are invited. It is a HIGH Honor and only a couple hundred are brought into that degree per year, in the entire USA. I am a 32nd. To get there all I had to do was go to the classes. To get to be a 33rd, you MUST dedicate your life to the craft.  If this doesn't describe your buddy, then he is a poser.

Real Masons don't brag to the profane (non-Mason).

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sidebar, is PH recognized by SR as regular so those guys can go through the 4-32 degrees?  I think there are some states that still don't recognize PH at a blue lodge level so I would guess in those states they can't join SR?
View Quote
PH has its own SR, YR, Shrine, etc.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I think my best option going forward is to avoid the topic with this individual. He may be everything he claims but at this point I don't feel he's a good source of information.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think my best option going forward is to avoid the topic with this individual. He may be everything he claims but at this point I don't feel he's a good source of information.
View Quote

the point I see is the claims he makes. Brothers who have the 33rd degree should be so studied on these subjects that they are the ones who have the answers you seek. If the answers are forbidden to talk about, then that's what we say. We don't make up some BS and act badass.

what sort of info are you seeking?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I wasn't really asking him questions about masonry. I noticed his tattoos and commented that I hadn't realized he was a Mason. Then asked if he was PH or blue lodge. He pretty much took it from there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The basic foundation block of Freemasonry is Symbolic Lodge.  "Blue Lodge" is a euphemism for Symbolic Lodge.  The Degrees of Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason are conferred in Symbolic Lodges.  The highest Degree in all of Freemasonry is Master Mason.

If anyone tells you they have any Degree higher than Master Mason they're either a poser or they have forgotten what Freemasonry is all about.  These "higher" Degrees are further learning of Masonic teachings.  Do you learn more?  Absolutely.  But, they are not a hierarchy of power or importance.  I'm in many invitational and honorary Masonic organizations.  But the highest honor I can ever have is being a Master Mason.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#14]
BrianC, OverScoped and PSI- Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#15]
There are some individuals that claim to be masons or are members of bogus Masonic groups.  I'm not sure what their motivations are for pretending to be Masons.  Some of the groups are created by individuals that have been banned from regular Masonry.  In Texas, the Grand Lodge of Texas, A.F.&A.M. is the legitimate "main stream" blue lodge.  You can also check out the legitimate Prince Hall counterpart.   These two grand lodges and their appendant bodies are the only non-clandestine Masonic groups in Texas.

If you are curious, ask him what his lodge name and number is.  Also ask him if he is a member in good standing.  You can then look up the lodge on the web.  If he avoids the questions or says that he isn't a member of any particular lodge then he is bogus.

Edited to add:
For my curious brothers from other states, the Grand Lodge of Texas does recognize the Texas Prince Hall Grand Lodge.  However, we don't have visitation rights with each other.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Wisconsin F&AM and Prince Hall have visitation.  If a member of one wanted to join the other they would have to take their degrees again.  Stupid.

*** WARNING ***  The following is not an indictment of PHA nor the "regular" Lodge system.  It's just the facts as I have observered them.

We are having many young men coming home who were Initiated, Passed and Raised in Prince Hall chartered Military Lodges overseas.  These Lodges accept both black and white members.  In Wisconsin, PHA Lodges are only in Milwaukee and Madison.  White members, quite simply, are shunned.  PHA in Wisconsin does not, to the best of my knowledge, I, P and R white petitioners.  They also will not release a member for transfer by affiliation.  Ergo, our Grand Lodge cannot accept a PH Mason because they cannot get documentation from PH that they're a Mason.

This is not a problem for white members.  Being ostrizied by PH anyway, they have no problem going through the degrees again.  But many of the black Brothers, when they find out they have to do the degrees again, think it's because of us and get pissed.  I tried to get a guy a couple of months ago.  The new GM tried to talk the PH GM into releasing him.  No go.  Several black Brothers of our Lodge tried to explain it to him, but he was too pissed.  So a good man lost.

As I said, stupid.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top