Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2014 1:19:50 AM EDT
Tonight, my uncle, John, laid down his working tools.

He petitioned along with a friend, and they were initiated together. His friend was transferred away, and my uncle didn't know many other people in the lodge, so he drifted away. He was later offered the opportunity to take the second and third degrees in a one-day class. Unfortunately, when it came time for him to be given the Grand Masonic Word, the person giving it mumbled it into my uncle's shoulder. My uncle left never having learned the GMW.

My uncle had a number of health problems later in life, and was effectively home-bound. Thus, he never attended lodge, but he maintained his membership.

I live about a hundred and fifty miles south of my uncle, but when I petitioned the lodge in my town, I had my uncle top-line it. My aunt and uncle never had any children, and he was thrilled to be able to pass on our family tradition of masonry.

Due to his health problems and the distance, my uncle was unable to attend my degrees. But he was so excited when I was raised a little over a year ago--partly because he was proud, and partly because I could finally teach him the Grand Masonic Word.  

My uncle was a good man--a Marine, a combat veteran, an FFL, the person who introduced me to shooting, and my brother.

Please say a prayer for him, and for my aunt.

And thus endeth the record of a just and upright Mason.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a mason, but I a sorry for your loss he sounded like a Nobel and honorable man
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You, your aunt, and family are in my prayers.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
prayers out for you and your family, Brother.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Sounds like your Uncle was a pretty cool man, Brother and friend.

Sorry for your loss Brother LDL

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
He's in a better place Brother. Sorry for your loss, you made him very proud.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top