Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 6:29:43 AM EDT
A few years ago a friend/mentor of mine that I have since lost touch with suggested that I look in to joining the masons, I always  sort of blew it off because I was too young at the time. Now that I am old enough I want to know more about it.

First and most importantly what are the free masons about?
Second what would my obligations be if I were to joing
This what do you do as a free mason?

I also understand its not some National treasure or Illuminati shit that many seem to be hung up on now a days.

Thanks
Bearman
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess I should throw one last thing in, would a lodge have issue with me having long hair (shoulder length) and a goatee?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#2]
This is from the Grand Lodge of Alabama but it's relevant to your questions.  Friend to Friend

A rural lodge that has a more conservative style of dress MAY have issue with the hair.  If they paid attention to the teachings of Freemasonry they wouldn't though.  It is the internal qualifications that make a good Mason.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is from the Grand Lodge of Alabama but it's relevant to your questions.  Friend to Friend

A rural lodge that has a more conservative style of dress MAY have issue with the hair.  If they paid attention to the teachings of Freemasonry they wouldn't though.  It is the internal qualifications that make a good Mason.
View Quote

Thank you, that was a very enlightening read.  I think I am going to look a bit more closely in to this.

Again, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you in Georgia? We have several GA masons on here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Cobb county
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Douglas/ Paulding area. If you've got any questions feel free to pm me. Or, if out and about this Saturday, we will be having a fish fry at Douglasville lodge #289 from about 10-2. Stop by.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A few years ago a friend/mentor of mine that I have since lost touch with suggested that I look in to joining the masons, I always  sort of blew it off because I was too young at the time. Now that I am old enough I want to know more about it.

I also understand its not some National treasure or Illuminati shit that many seem to be hung up on now a days.

Thanks
Bearman
View Quote
I'm up in New Jersey. The hair would not be a problem here. We just initiated several men that had more tattoos than I can count.

Like others have said, a conservative lodge might have issues with the hair. Should you cut your hair to placate to their standards before petitioning? That is up to you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm up in New Jersey. The hair would not be a problem here. We just initiated several men that had more tattoos than I can count.

Like others have said, a conservative lodge might have issues with the hair. Should you cut your hair to placate to their standards before petitioning? That is up to you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Bearman

Like I told everybody back in high school when my hair was long. Jesus had long hair too, do we look down upon him?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Wish you the best.  

Hair shouldn't be a problem.

Btw, you don't "join the masons", you BECOME a Mason.

Not trying to be a hardass, but that statement is important.   Just think about it for a minute and you'll realize what I mean.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
My only regret is not becoming a Mason earlier in life.

The hair should not be an issue. It's the person that counts!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey CPL sorry I couldn't make it this weekend, I forgot I was to volunteer at the steeple chase Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
So what does one do to become a mason?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ask one!  Find your local Lodge and visit or a friend/family member that's a Mason and ask them that same question. They will be more thN excited to help you on your journey.

On edit, where in Georgia are you located?  I'm in the Douglas/Paulding area.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

You can ask one.

If that's not possible, then look on this link, http://www.glofga.org/statemap.html find the area that you want to attend lodge, click on it, then find a lodge you want to join and contact the secretary of that lodge. All the information that you need is there.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ask one!  Find your local Lodge and visit or a friend/family member that's a Mason and ask them that same question. They will be more thN excited to help you on your journey.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, well thats much more simple than I thought.  I am in the Kennesaw area.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I am in Ga. I would welcome you . How you look is not the issue .
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am in Ga. I would welcome you . How you look is not the issue .
View Quote

Are you in the Cobb county area?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top