Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 3:06:29 PM EDT
So I had a chest rig that could hold a bunch of mags and other goodies but I got to thinking if shit went down to the level where I would be out and about carrying an AR do I really want to look like I'm some teir 1 seal mall ninja?

So I'm trying to think of something low profile but would allow me to carry extra mags  but not stand out like a sore thumb.

Any suggestions.?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
How can you be low profile while carrying an AR?  Seems to me, once you're openly carrying the rifle, the whole low profile thing goes out the window.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How can you be low profile while carrying an AR?  Seems to me, once you're openly carrying the rifle, the whole low profile thing goes out the window.  
View Quote

As low as one could be I guess.  If it came down to that level of a break down and I had to venture out with an AR or the like I don't want to look like special forces running around
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
In FL I would think that'll be tough due to your typical clothing.

Otherwise I'd say some form of SBR with some spare mags around your waistline
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This....

and if real zombies, who cares they can't tell either way....
if shtf "zday", then go out mostly at night....and day travel only travel in a pack and be armed to the teeth....during early shtf days, way too many easy prey to bother with heavily armed ppl...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So I had a chest rig that could hold a bunch of mags and other goodies but I got to thinking if shit went down to the level where I would be out and about carrying an AR do I really want to look like I'm some teir 1 seal mall ninja?

So I'm trying to think of something low profile but would allow me to carry extra mags  but not stand out like a sore thumb.

Any suggestions.?
View Quote
Low pro body armor under your shirt, belt rig with mags/holster/pistol/more mags/med kit, and a nice suit to top it off.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Set up a belt.  How much you put on that belt is up to you.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/285299_.html

I have my belt set up perfectly for my needs, I like wearing it a lot more than my chest rig.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Set up a belt.  How much you put on that belt is up to you.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/285299_.html

I have my belt set up perfectly for my needs, I like wearing it a lot more than my chest rig.
View Quote

That's one hell of a thread. Glad you linked to it. I had never noticed it before . Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The Ghetto Gillie Suit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLc6tM3GTU
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#9]
maybe a modern bandolier? I have a DCU surplus one that I like for range trips just to carry my magazines. there are a few gear companies that make similar versions, and even the Military Arms Channel on Youtube did a review on one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I get what you are saying. In a lot of unpleasant events you may feel the need to be better armed then normal but there is still some law and order in effect and openly carrying a gun may get a serious response. You would probably be best off carrying a handgun and keeping a long gun concealed nearby in your home or in your vehicle. I'm thinking like after a major disaster where there is a breakdown in law and order but not a complete breakdown and it is expected to return.

For a higher threat scenario you might look to security contractor types in Iraq and Afghanistan for ideas. Use shorter weapons if possible and try to conceal any armor or gear by wearing a large shirt or jacket. I remember seeing something on TV where one PMC had their guys wearing photographer type vests to carry spare mags and conceal their body armor. That's not going to fool anyone up close but from a distance if you concealed the rifle as well you might seem unarmed at a glance.

I think stuff like tinted windows on your vehicle, short barreled guns, and folding stocks would go a long way in enabling someone to move around without drawing attention but still able to respond to a serious threat. Think twice about violating any laws though, I wouldn't want to get locked up when things are going to pieces.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
incognito

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Almost forgot I posted this.   But I have been doing some more thinking on the subject and in the instance of a major disaster like say a Katrina being armed is a must but not to the degree of an AR  I have been looking at pdws or pccs.

The cz scorpion Evo looks appealing in pistol form or sbr with folding stock would be easier to conceal and lighter than most ARs more firepower than a pistol.  Could even keep it in a backpack out of sight until needed.

I was also looking at ar500 armor.  They have a concealed plate carrier ment to worn under clothing.  This and aa low key belt rig with the scorpion I think is a winner
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Ill either be completly lopro or loaded for bear.

glock 19 +2 17 rd mags and my concealable plate carrier

or warbelt, armor, rifle, helmet
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
would need a baggy cover garment,

bandolier
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Plate carrier under shirt and a battle belt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Good question.

If it's really cold out, I have a Swedish parka. I'm 6ft 1 and it almost covers my knees. I could walk around with all kinds of cool shit under it. Unfortunately it's only cold enough for that 3 or 4 months out of the year.

I guess for warm weather, I'd have to stay with a handgun and maybe carry something extra in a small backpack.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Build a rig with the Raven Moduloader system, I would post pics/links but I am on mobile....
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#19]
If zombies are walking around, no one will care what you look like as long as you aren't trying to eat them. And the zombies won't care if you look like a SEAL or Joe The Plumber, you'll just look like a big mac to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top