Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2015 12:16:59 PM EDT
Discuss.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had many discussions about this. It is useless as a shtf/emp/nuke BOV.

Although probably the best means of shelter and travel in the zombie apocalypse.

ETA: you will also need someone who knows their way by rail to get you where you are going. I charge ammo by the mile.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking primarily about zombies. Mount some weapons and add flatbed cars with Strikers, Bradleys, or Abrams should be good.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I would steal a bus from the Chicago Transportation Authority (CTA), they are already armored and armed.  All I need is to find one with a plow attached.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,il/auction/view?auc=1366028

okay I guess that wasn't the CTA but the Cook County Sheriff, same thing
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]

I was thinking about rolling out to NWS Charleston.  They already have trains,
flatbed cars, military equipment and arms.  I would need to go downtown to find passenger, freight and tanker cars.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
This will sound silly, but I'm ok with that

How about a hand cart? Granted, you would have to acquire an antique, but it would be a fuel free means of traveling the rails. Can you get one with a trailer?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a modified rail service vehicle. They are usually 4wd and can be driven off rails. Pull a modified trailer or get wheels and make a railcar...
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#7]
There was a book series called The Outrider in the 80's and one of the characters got around the country by rail. Interesting idea to say the least, but definitely not the speediest get away
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]
This was dealt with in the JW Vohs books the Zombie Crusade. Also in a new book These Dead Lands by Stephen Knight. A very very good read. The only issue with trains is you only go where the tracks go and refueling is a bit tough!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
You'd have to be pretty picky about your BOL.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Terminus

Heck the train could be your BOL.  Mobile, fuel, food, lodging, arms......
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Terminus
View Quote

The BBQ. Don't.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Terminus

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Terminus

You need 3 things for this to work.
1. Trains are really not that easy to drive so you need a engineer or a old head conductor that can run it.
2. you need a few keys to unlock the switches to go where you want. "bolt cutters will work"
3 you need timetables with territory layout to use for maps, if not you will most likely end up on dead end track.

By the time you get what you need i will have my train headed out of charleston so your best bet is to grab the Palmetto railroads peace of crap engine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
You get the train, I will get the tanks, weapons, and fuel.  

Where should we meet?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#14]
So what are you going to do with the 20,000 TON coal train that is stopped ahead of you?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what are you going to do with the 20,000 TON coal train that is stopped ahead of you?
View Quote

Or the same barrelling at you at 70 mph...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd be more concerned about the condition of the tracks.  While a stationary car on the tracks poses some issues, you have even more when you encounter a derailed train accident.  The tracks may be damaged, or a car that partially off the tracks would be hard to move.

I'd also worry about abandoned or secondary tracks.  In my area they have been pretty much pulled up and removed, however I can imagine in other areas there may be tracks with bedding and ties underneath in questionable condition.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

MU the engines and go on my way with 20,000 extra Tons of coal and a few more engines for power on line.
What would be fun is blindly shoving it down the main unless someone wants to volunteer to ride the shove and talk to me on the radio.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I would worry about wild fires/storms destroying tracks or joe bob stealing ties and track for his apocalyptic castle.

also being dependent on the rails would make you vulnerable to attack for people that want what you have
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#19]
How long since the collapse?
I wouldn't trust the rail lines to be intact after a winter or two.
We just had the only rail line through our area get completely under-mined by a single heavy rain storm

Crawling pace on one is better than walking but a steam locomotive is pretty labor intensive to keep running

The issue of a subject matter expert to keep the antique thing operational seems insurmountable
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Petticoat Junction
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#21]
You would be too limited on where you can travel. You'd have to stick to rails. You'd have to know the tracks and get out ahead to hit the switches. And Fuel?

Nah, I'll go cross country with a 4x4 of some sort. Fuel will be more readily available while it lasts. Get out in the sticks and there are less zeds too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't care for the idea of a train. Just to many what it's.
Has anyone thought about an APC?  http://www.military-today.com/apc/m113.htm
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

What APC did you have in mind? I see an X
edit: from the pic title the 113? Really?
You ever actually used one?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking I would take the train from the local installation and load up with what ever vehichles were available (Hummers, MRAPs, self-propelled artillery, fuel trucks, M-113, haven't seen any M-1 yet). Also have plenty of fuel and ammo.

Once I establish my Kingdom near the mountains of North Carolina I will establish work crews to maintain and control the tracks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was thinking I would take the train from the local installation and load up with what ever vehichles were available (Hummers, MRAPs, self-propelled artillery, fuel trucks, M-113, haven't seen any M-1 yet). Also have plenty of fuel and ammo.

Once I establish my Kingdom near in the mountains of North Carolina I will establish work crews to maintain and control the tracks.
View Quote

Now for some reality
Any Guard weapons are locked up behind three levels of security
There wont be any ammo or explosives on site
Odds are that you wont even find fuel on site
They yanked our in-ground tanks before I retired and the unit fueled up at the Sunoco down the road
You're going to have your hands full with vehicle maintenance unless you plan on bringing the whole maintenance shop with you to your kingdom in exchange for a promise of some degree of safety for them and their families.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Now for some reality
They yanked our in-ground tanks before I retired and the unit fueled up at the Sunoco down the road
You're going to have your hands full with vehicle maintenance unless you plan on bringing the whole maintenance shop with you to your kingdom in exchange for a promise of some degree of safety for them and their families.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I establish my Kingdom near in the mountains of North Carolina I will establish work crews to maintain and control the tracks.

Now for some reality

Guard?  I am talking active installation after the zoombie apocalypse.  Plenty of above ground storage tanks, bunkers, EOD so I know there should be bulk bang somewhere, artillery ordnance with be harder with no ranges here but hey I am taking the artillery if it's there.

Good point on maintainance.  I need to recruit some of the folks that do the work.

Need to hit the Westbrook Brewery and obtain the brewing equipment and supplies for morale.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Guard?  I am talking active installation after the zoombie apocalypse.  Plenty of above ground storage tanks, bunkers, EOD so I know there should be bulk bang somewhere, artillery ordnance with be harder with no ranges here but hey I am taking the artillery if it's there.
View Quote

That makes more sense then
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why, yes, I have driven an APC. And just about every other heavy vehicle the Army has to offer for fun.
Have you?

It's not the most comfortable vehicle I have driven,,, it has its drawbacks, sure,, but it is a whole lot more maneuverable than a train. And the zombies won't be able to get in. Even when you're sleeping.
Unless you aren't referring to the walking dead kind.

Now to be truthful, it has been quite awhile since I wore the green, and I have never driven a train.  But I have ridden on one. They just sorta go in a straight line. More or less where the rails take them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why, yes, I have driven an APC. And just about every other heavy vehicle the Army has to offer for fun.
Have you?
View Quote

I started out 11H
I have plenty of time in the 113 series
I wouldn't pick a 50 year old design to roll around in, especially since the series is essentially obsolete and there are better more modern options
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I started out 11H
I wouldn't pick a 50 year old design to roll around in, especially since the series is essentially obsolete and there are better more modern options
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you?

I started out 11H

Rolling coffin. 11He here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top