Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2015 5:55:20 PM EDT
Nuclear reactors now left unattended, not running, diesel generators running out of fuel...would that equal meltdown?

Disease. All the dead bodies being eaten by birds, animals, and of course decaying in water ways. Not just disease for people either, but now diseases for live stock and even crops.

Seems like you'd get hit with a lot of punches on top of the main cause of zombie apocalypse.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Reactors are going to shut down on their own.

All the rotting business will clear up in a jiffy.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Mother nature will take care of it
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  On another forum a nuclear engineer went through the whole process of how they'd shut down, the various levels of containment etc.  pretty eye opening.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes.  On another forum a nuclear engineer went through the whole process of how they'd shut down, the various levels of containment etc.  pretty eye opening.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PLEASE post the link to that, it sounds fascinating.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to read through this if you don't mind.  Please post.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ukraine and Japan.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ukraine and Japan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ukraine and Japan.

Three Mile Island Pa
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh wild fire in every city without power is more frightening.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Three Mile Island Pa
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ukraine and Japan.

Three Mile Island Pa

You know that's a terrible analogy, right?  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
My understanding is the reactors go into a "safe mode" on their own. The problem is that the cooling pools that the rods are kept in will boil away if no one is there to keep them "topped off" so to speak.
After the water boils away they basically catch fire which will irradiate anything within a few miles of the plant. Not going to leave huge swaths of destruction across the country, just the general vicinity of the plant.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
If a plant is being encroached upon or an outbreak is dipping too far into their pool of workers, the plant would be shut down for safety reasons.  A couple of years ago when swine flu was big, pandemic planning became a major part of many plant's emergency plans.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Wild fire season in the Pacific Northwest post zombie apocalypse could be interesting, especially coupled with a drought.
With no one available for containment, things could get ugly fast. Large infrastructure, such as dams and locks,
would eventually fail due to lack of maintenance. You would not want to be down river in the event of a major dam failure
and without the dam in place the river is no longer regulated and reverts to it's natural seasonal  flooding pattern. How
about livestock and pets becoming feral and nature rebounding as mega fauna (wolves/bears/cats) reestablishing
themselves in areas that are no longer controlled by humans.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#14]
In an Apocalyptic scenario, nothing happens in a jiffy, specially rotting flesh.

Pestilence and disease will be prevalent and it will take its toll on survivors.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My understanding is the reactors go into a "safe mode" on their own. The problem is that the cooling pools that the rods are kept in will boil away if no one is there to keep them "topped off" so to speak.
After the water boils away they basically catch fire which will irradiate anything within a few miles of the plant. Not going to leave huge swaths of destruction across the country, just the general vicinity of the plant.
View Quote

Unless it is real soon after a refueling outage the pools will be OK
When in doubt the RX are put in a safe mode and shut down so that should happen before the zombies get there
But they do have automated shut downs

And No they will not catch fire in the spent fuel pools

Chernobyl was a different design that those in the US
I would be more worried about living near a gas refinery plant than a Nuc
How much overview do they get........

And u get 1 guess what field i have over 21 years in and a BS in that too
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When in doubt the RX are put in a safe mode and shut down so that should happen before the zombies get there

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it interesting how the general public is kept in the dark about how much work is done to comply with safety regulations.  It's not secret squirrel type stuff, it's stuff most folks never think of.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Seizing a plant should be priority one, didn't you guys read Lucifer's Hammer?

There was a book about stuff like building collapses called, uh, World without us? I read complaints here that it was kinda lefty but I never finished it
View Quote

I have put off buying Lucifer's due to it being $6.30 for the digital version. .. I think all digi books should be cheap - silly I know. Anywho, I just purchased it!!!

Staying well away from nuclear plants should be a must. Sure they may have plans, and shut down options and auto-shutdowns, I'll let you guys verify that they work correctly. As well as large dams. Large buildings / cities.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy wow Lucifer's Hammer is taking forever to get going. May not make it. Trying to stay with it man.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'd still want to skip being around for a few months after people expire
I've been around a few too many long-term unattended deaths where people were not found for weeks or months to have misconceptions
Multiply that times thousands of people....even small villages will be putrid, rank  vermin-infested charnel grounds
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the delay, but remeber it's the Internet:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=259335

The guy who builds Boron rods for nuclear power plants enters at the end of the first page.

ETA:  there is a thread on that site that I'm trying to find where nuclear reactors are broken down and such.  You'll have to weed out the know-it-all yet know nothing "experts" but it should be easy to do.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Nuke plant in a nut shell.

Reactor trips and shutdown. Plant is connected to the grid as well to run pumps , safety systems etc. If the grid power is lost then a station blackout scenario occurs and the diesel generators start to maintain safety systems. Most diesel generators have a day tank with ~500 gallons plus an onsite tank with ~ 10,000 gallons of fuel. Once the fuel runs out they obviously stop working. Final power source battery banks, 8-12 hrs of power depending on the plant and number of units.

If no humans are available to refuel the diesel tanks or continue to supply grid power via other power plants then accidents would occur eventually. The spent fuel pool has to have a pump to supply make up water and circulating water to maintain levels and temps. Continuous power to the reactor cooling pumps is required to cool the reactor core. No power equals some type of meltdown eventually. Even if all rods were removed they would be at the mercy of the spent fuel pool as previously mentioned.

There is no safe option for long term apocalypse scenario.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about all those Russian graphite moderated ones?  Like Chernobyl?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't there an explosion at Chernobyl causing the meltdown?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Holy wow Lucifer's Hammer is taking forever to get going. May not make it. Trying to stay with it man.
View Quote

It takes a while, but once it goes, it gets really good.  Stick with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top