Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 12:09:00 PM EDT
I mean white!  come on!  That shit would look like crap in a day.  Another thing,  have you ever had a katana that doesn't fall out of the damn scabbard just by looking at it.

So what would work during the zombie apocalypse?  black, easy to clean, protected from bumps and scrapes,  TACTICAL!

I present the tactical ZA katana!

Disclaimer!  just started playing with kydex and wanted to do something fun.

sword handle and scabbard sheathed in inner tube.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Katanas are good for slicing through bamboo armor and peasents.

Not so good against anything else.

Scimitar, gladius, broadsword, heavy machette... Something with weight that can chop and enough lever to not get stuck....

Nice work on the kydex though. Kudos!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Really dude I have on many occasions, sliced through (already dead) 200+ pound boars/wild pigs from hunts/pest control, decapitating them with a single swing with so little effort, its just a matter of getting adjusted and a lil technique. Most functional katanas weigh in at between 2 1/2 and 3 pounds, they are not fly weight swords. The gladius was typically 1 1/2 pounds, the heaviest I have ever heard was 2 1/4 pounds, they are also very poor at slicing through large chunks of meat, they have no curve. Scimitars weigh in approx 2 pounds as well, they are better at slicing than a gladius no doubt.

Some of the boars were well over 300 pounds and make me look small when next to them, and I am not a small guy. Do I advocate using a katana for a zombie, if zombies were to actually exist? No. But unless the day arrives where zombies roam the earth, everything we consider effective is hypothetical at best. I would rather not be so close to a disease/infection riddled body anyway tho
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
BTW, cool project man Also, what is on the handle, tape or kydex?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Scimitar, gladius, broadsword, heavy machette... Something with weight that can chop and enough lever to not get stuck....

View Quote

An Ulfberht sword would be my choice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Neither of mine needs a pile of random hardware not to fall out of the scabbard...

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Yeah, but yours say Desert Eagle Point Five Oh
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BTW, cool project man Also, what is on the handle, tape or kydex?
View Quote

Bicycle inner tube.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really dude I have on many occasions, sliced through (already dead) 200+ pound boars/wild pigs from hunts/pest control, decapitating them with a single swing with so little effort, its just a matter of getting adjusted and a lil technique. Most functional katanas weigh in at between 2 1/2 and 3 pounds, they are not fly weight swords. The gladius was typically 1 1/2 pounds, the heaviest I have ever heard was 2 1/4 pounds, they are also very poor at slicing through large chunks of meat, they have no curve. Scimitars weigh in approx 2 pounds as well, they are better at slicing than a gladius no doubt.

Some of the boars were well over 300 pounds and make me look small when next to them, and I am not a small guy. Do I advocate using a katana for a zombie, if zombies were to actually exist? No. But unless the day arrives where zombies roam the earth, everything we consider effective is hypothetical at best. I would rather not be so close to a disease/infection riddled body anyway tho
View Quote

Are you the Cold Steel guy?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ooohh... Impressive.

Or, you know...

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would be ok for "out in the open" action. Doing house clears would need something shorter IMO.

Carry two. Short chopper, and something longer. It's good to have options.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes her sword does suck.  I thought we saw the end of it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#14]

I want one like one of those. Where can you get them?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Japan, ~200 years ago for one, 75 years for the other
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#16]
A decent sword, let alone a real one won't fall out. I have many modern and old katanas, but my beater will by my Zombie Tools set. By far the toughest and the ones I worry the least about screwing up. And they don't fall out either.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I so want a NCO sword..........
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I so want a NCO sword..........
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]

I missed that one, and laughed so much I almost cried.

I really want one of those cold steel NCO swords, but right now I've got a nice machete and KA-Bar
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Z-poc the last thing I want is a sword that needs to be swung around. Useless in a house. Too tiring in extended use. Too much attention to the blade is needed.

Gladius, stilletto, shortened rapier, or short spear. I want ease of use, easy on the muscles, and something that doesn't need to be kept at a razor quality edge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I really want one of those cold steel NCO swords, but right now I've got a nice machete and KA-Bar
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That would be pretty damn boss to take down a Taliban HVT with an NCO Sword...of course, probably also lead to federal prison, but hey.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top