Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 4:30:44 PM EDT
Traditionally the AR-15 or a 10-22 has been the best anti-zombie weapons but in John Ringo's sea zombie books they prefer Saiga AK's with buckshot and 45ACP HK pistols with 12 rounds. Like his thinking? Or are his weapons overkill? It is making me re-examine tactical shotguns.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You know shits bad when you can't find 12 gauge ammo
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
John Ringo isn't a gun guy, per se.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Poor choices.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Poor choices.
View Quote

Why?

If you remember Blackhawk Down and the skinnies just having the 5.56 green tips just going through without doing a lot damage. I think you would have the same problems with zombies.

They are slow thinkers so I believe you would want a round that would slow them down and/or knock them over versus a pinprick. Especially in the scenario of clearing them out of dark rooms. Otherwise they keep coming until they realize they are dead.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy decent ammo for your 5.56 and that's not an issue.

.22 is the best for Zombies, if we are talking zombies You can carry 10000 rounds quite and easy to shoot.

Now for other Zombies, how much 12 gauge can you carry space wise, how easily can you accurately shoot 1000 round sin an after noon?

All things being even I'll take a 5.56 with decent ammo for the target; M885 for soviets body armor, something like Tap 5.56 for walkers ect.

9 vs 45 is a 2000 page debate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]

saiga 12 box mag 8/10rds drum 12/20rds

how many SG shells/drum mags can you carry and not get hung up on every door jamb?

at what range are you still going to get reliable hits to the brain(00) to take them down?

in an unfamiliar home in a hallway you get surrounded a 12ga will make paste out of their brains but when that mag/drum runs dry how quick could you dig one out and get it into the weapon and chamber a round?

better choices

Glock 17 17/33rds +

Ruger 10/22 25Rds +

AR15 20/30rds +

suppressed 9mm AR 32rd+

hell a suppressed Ruger MKII 10rd/HK USP45 12rd would be welcome

low recoil high capacity would be very desirable in a zombie infested world and 5.56 can handle the bad people issues

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I would love to think of my two Vepr 12s as good zombie weapons, but the bulk/weight of the ammo and mags causes me to know better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I think our zombie documentaries have been inaccurate. Small caliber weapons would be less likely to finish them off. You need to do massive damage to the brain to shut them down. Why 9 pellets of buck shot would do more damage than one 62 grain bullet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why?

If you remember Blackhawk Down and the skinnies just having the 5.56 green tips just going through without doing a lot damage. I think you would have the same problems with zombies.

They are slow thinkers so I believe you would want a round that would slow them down and/or knock them over versus a pinprick. Especially in the scenario of clearing them out of dark rooms. Otherwise they keep coming until they realize they are dead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor choices.

Why?

Skinny's were fast movers, thus difficult for all head shots, and with Zombies, headshots are all that matter and all that should be taken.

M855 to the melon at close range is DEVASTATING, as in explosive.

.22 rimfire would be a good choice for close range, well placed shots if you have good cover.

(Jeebus, I have put way too much thought into this!)

Also, lets face it, a good melee weapon is essential in a Zombie outbreak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top