Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Am I the only one who has 12 hour advance warning? It would be nice to know if the stores are going to be slammed with everyone else trying to last minute prepare...

If I am the only one with the clairvoyance to know it is coming, then the first thing I do is pass along the warning to everyone I know. Then I buy as much dry and preserved food as my credit cards will allow and my vehicle can carry (probably make several trips) then go to the LGS and  do the same with ammo, as well as passing along the warning to my friends there.

With those things done I destroy the stairwell to the second story of my house then shelter in place, load mags and await the dawn.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Contact everyone I know to max the cards on supplies. Meet at "the spot". Be ready to have the most epic range day ever
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#3]
How would you go about getting food post apocalypse

Lets say the zombies eat human food also
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Since Im already loaded and prepped, I'd probably sit on the toilet one last time in peace and harmony, while watching Zombieland getting pumped up!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You and a few select others hear it. The general population doesn't know for another 8 hours
View Quote

I contact my family, dash to the store for some supplies, call my bishop, stake president, and get word sent to LDS leadership in SLC.   Long before the 12 hours were up every neighborhood in Utah, and may parts of Arizona and Idaho would have organized and armed militias ready and waiting for stuff to hit the fan.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
My home is worthless against a zombie attack so I would head to the cabin after the grocery store and alert other family members for backup. The cabin is four miles from the nearest neighbor so I would think the zombies aren't going to make a serious effort to go after only our family when there are so many tasty residents of Denver to eat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What kind of house modifications would you make?

Personally, i'd start growing plants asap and move to a relatives house as I live in an apartment
View Quote

I'd buy seeds, but depending on the year it may not be time to plant yet (such as right now).  My first concern would be getting my community prepared to stamp out the zombie plague before it has a chance to establish a foothold.  At that point required house modifications would be minimal.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have a garden, a few fruit trees, strawberry and raspberry bushes, and food storage including jars of fruit that we've canned from our trees (canned pears are like candy).  With the heads-up we should be able to keep the invasion contained/managed here, so it's mostly a matter of rationing what we have and focusing on the garden.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Go and buy as much food and water as I can carry back to house.  As someone else said, get a brinks armored truck.  Buy lots of gas.  board up all windows, and barricade all doors.  Set up at least three levels of entry (someone/thing coming in would have to go through at least three seperate barricades.  Dump some random funiture and other household items in yard to make it look like house had already been looted.  Make rudimentary suppressors for a couple of 22s.  Load up all mags, and every gun I own.

Pray.

ETA, if I had enough time I would set up some makeshift fences around the house with tposts and hog grates or if I really had enough time I would actually set up chain link fence around the house (like if I could get the wife unit to go and buy all the food and water etc, while I stayed at home building the fences).
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ETA, if I had enough time I would set up some makeshift fences around the house with tposts and hog grates or if I really had enough time I would actually set up chain link fence around the house (like if I could get the wife unit to go and buy all the food and water etc, while I stayed at home building the fences).
View Quote

Interesting. I've never run chain link fence. Are you familiar enough with the process and have the stuff on hand to put up enough around your house to encircle the residence?
Would 12 hours be adequate to the task for you?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
about an hour before FO time I would go see this bitch I work with and handcuff her to a fence and dump BBQ sauce over her,then head back home and watch and wait for the festivities
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
about an hour before FO time I would go see this bitch I work with and handcuff her to a fence and dump BBQ sauce over her,then head back home and watch and wait for the festivities
View Quote

In for the locked account............
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Immediately notify all friends and family. Pack the immediate family off to the BOL in one car, and run the other to Wally's and clean house.

Cars will block the driveway, stairs get disassembled, ground-level exits are boarded up and fortified. Commence operation Try Not To Die Right Away.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Its going to be open season, they wont last long.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Notify the extended family and rally all guns and ammo at the brother in laws house. 5k square feet 2 story with a flat 20acres for clear field of views. Have half the family get food, ammo, and gas. Have the 3 bulldozers and back how building a hell of a moat. Finish the bob wire fence and tear down the stairs and board the windows. Sit back and practice the long range shots with the brother in laws. Oh and fuel the plane I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is funny
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Id go to every animal shelter in the area and adopt every cat they had.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

May I ask why?

You can't live of chinese food forever
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:50:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Set up my computer to download EVERYTHING while I shop and work.

I would drain my account and cards on lumber and other building materials, cement, a cement mixer (small), rebar and other metal stock, tin roofing, insulation, PVC, fencing, etc.

I'd get the gas company come out and fill my 300 gal tank of gas, reill the propane tank, etc.

Buy an oxy-acet welder set and rent lots of tanks.

Another generator (this one "camp rated" means its quiet) and regular maintaince parts.

Buy lots of the local 5.56, 9mm, 308win, 40SW and 22LR. Maybe another AR. The Berretta CX Storm or whatever. Been wanting one.

Rent a NICE 4x4 SUV and NICE pickup. Also a Ryder and ASV/CAT.

Buy seeds of all types. A gas garden tiller.

Buy a good woodstove.

Food, juices, alcohol, things that can be canned.

Get home, tell the world if there's any time left, board up the house, and start planning.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

May I ask why?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May I ask why?

Given their climbing ability, I'd imagine that they're the only livestock that will survive.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Go to the supermarket and run every credit card to the max.  I'd say gun store (or WalMart) for ammo, but I'm good there.  I don't have the option of running, so it's just a matter of time before I'm dinner.

View Quote
I'd probably get three boxes at walmart as I was getting food. May as well.  Why the hell not?

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Load all my mags, down some hot pockets and red bull and settle into my shooting position.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd head for the dried foods store down the road and fill my trunk. Stock up on gas, head to the Epic Brewery to fill any space left in the car, and make the drive to the BOL. I would call ahead to the BOL and notify. Then would call in to refill all meds and such.

Edit: Just realized I would also need to stop and  buy a very large amount of coffee.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#24]
How to deal with the winter cold? Especially up here
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Load mags, prep food/water, settle a few old scores.
View Quote

Subscriber.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Head to the furniture store and pick out a new recliner.
Stop off to get a 20 ft extension ladder and some rope.

Spend the next few hrs making sandwiches and luging ammo to the roof along with the new recliner "got to be comfortable for the extended shooting session that will begging in a few hrs.
My best guess is ill be out of ammo in 10 to 12 hrs of constant firing by this time the dead will be piled up kind of deep around the house.

Now is the time to break out the rope I used to haul the recliner up on the roof and decide if I want to be a zombie hanging from a rope or a zombie running around getting shot at from the people that had more ammo than me. "ill flip a coin".
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd fly out of Germany first. Get back, change into my gear, load mags, start loading supplies into the truck, and then head for the woods. Once the choas dies down return to more urbanized areas to hold out for the long run.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Load up on water and foodstuffs and position myself to take possession of a newly
Unneeded brinks truck. Plow right thru crowds, room to carry supplies and teammates, and
Is bulletproof, with gun ports a ready. Ditch the unneeded cash.

Hope I can find one with a trailer hitch.....
View Quote

I've thought of the armored car as a good idea before.  I was even thinking of buying a used one with a friend now and out fitting it as an RV/Camper inside for fun.

On the OP's question.  I'd go to the store and get as much food, camping, ammo, and fortification supplies I could.  I would notify my friends and family and assemble in a good area.  Buy a couple of industrial plow trucks and armored vehicles.  I would begin to assign jobs and positions to everyone, and fortify our location, store water/food, and prepare for the fun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#29]
yea I think you have a good plan. Being close to Houston I gather the family and my crew and convoy to the Texas Hill country. Since I do not own any property there are some large ranches that have hogs, deer, and beef. I am sure they would appreciate the help when the SHTF. I think night vision would be a great idea. Maxing out on med supplies and garden seeds is smart. Zombies will not be the only problem. Other people are probably going to be just as dangerous if not more. Getting out of major population areas will be important.
I think this whole zombie issue is just commentary on the masses that will come flooding out of the urban areas when social services fall apart. Packs of people that are desperate and hungry will not be that different than packs of Zeds. Thanks for the interesting posts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You would have 11hrs and 50 minutes left,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two chicks at the same time!

THEN, eat a good Omelette (probably won't be able to get one for a few years after Z-Day), load all mags, assemble a crew, and bug in. Or, if I was on my own...get to the nearest municipal airport and steal a plane! I had 40+ hrs in a Cessna 172, but went broke paying for flight lessons before I could get my license (I was a high school kid). How hard could it be?

thats it, if you had 12 hours notice you'd just do 2 chicks at the same time?

You would have 11hrs and 50 minutes left,

SEE! Plenty of time...
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It gets cold in the winter?

(Of course, mid-summer with no AC would be a royal bitch down here...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How to deal with the winter cold?...

Its so cold up here that at 37°F we still wear normal sweatshirts and shorts

When it hits under 20 is when its a bitch
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Uh, take a nap.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Uh, take a nap.
View Quote

10,000+ posts and can't even make a wall of text?

We need details man
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:00:17 AM EDT
[#35]
load empty mags. Load all of my preps into the truck and trailer. Head to Charleston SC after loading up as much extra food and water as possible. Finding a large boat and taking over Fort Sumter with a few of my closest friends.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope your survival gear is up to date for the winter!!!!

On the positive side frozen Zeds are going to be very easy to kill and present very little danger.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

On the positive side frozen Zeds are going to be very easy to kill and present very little danger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Although I don't own any candles, my truck is prepped incase I have to run out of a place fast and didn't have time for a jacket
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Max out every CC I had buying food and TP and ammo.

Fortify my house.

Attempt to ride it out as best I could.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn. Thats creative

Which truck brand is the best for zombies? I myself am a ford guy but Toyota's seem to last forever
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Thats alot of truck right there
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Have you seen World War Z?  The zombie bastards scaled a 100 foot wall by dog piling on top of each other.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rip the stairs down,,  enjoy the show,, I am already prepared

This.  Most beach houses seemed well equiped if stairs are torn down.  Plinking off the deck, hope you dont run out of food and water and ammo, need to avoid M. cocktails incase they set your house on fire.

Have you seen World War Z?  The zombie bastards scaled a 100 foot wall by dog piling on top of each other.

That movie sucked. In my version of "zombie world", zombies are too stupid to cooperate.  He would need to be sure to clear trees away from the fence line though. Wouldn't want a tree falling and taking out part of the fence.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I would load up my AR, strap on the pistol, fill my pockets with ammo... same with the wife. hook up the trailer and head to Walmart... then wait in the parking lot until 30 minutes where left. At that time pull the truck up to the loading dock,go inside and "knock over the place... dont need a credit card, i'm robbing the place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#45]
The usual of toss all I already have (including the wife).... guns, ammo, bow, arrows, heirloom seeds, medical stuff, basic MRE and freeze dried foods to last until planting time, etc. etc. into my truck and hit the road to the western bluffs along the big river and find a good DNR firewatch tower or good fenced in location and join forces with whoever is there. And then stop at a pharmacy and snag as much stuff as I can. And screw hitting up a wal-mart as every idiot will be there already killing each other for cheap foreign made crap.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Honestly, assuming no one else is aware (locally at least):

Secure my wife and kids from school/work.  Download wife on what I learned about.  Keep telling her I m not joking and we need to get moving, then;

Tell her we are raiding the Costco across the street.  Do one load together, then send her back for a second load while I run to Home Depot to buy hand tools (I have many, but there are always some I don't have), plywood, 2x4s, and other general building supplies.  

Then max out one more CC at Cabelas (yes, I have the Trifecta all within 3-4 miles of my home).  At Cabelas, buy as much ammo, cold weather gear, camping gear, any sexy guns I want, optics/glass and  freeze dried foods as possible.

Field calls from my bank and CC companies on how my accounts are maxed/empty and ask the CC company for a temporary raise on my max spending between runs.  Also duirng all these runs, call my extended family in another state and try to convince them it's real and I haven't lost my shit.  Hope they load up on supplies.

Get home, pile supplies into groups, keep telling my wife that I am right and that I haven't gone crazy, and to keep organizing our stuff.  Have her pull out all our existing preps and camping gear as well.  I could see her still kind of freaking out about either I've gone crazy and "can we return all of this stuff," or "he's right and the world is going to end, oh shit I'm panicking".  I then put my daughters to work loading mags while wife continues to organize gear (she is a really good organizer), while I start cutting plywood to size to cover the interior windows, paint them white for a few days of Opsec.  Cut bigger ones to cover exterior windows after a few days into it when the shit really gets rolling.  Lock/board the house up tight as possible from the inside.

Then try to ride out the first few weeks/months of the shitstorm in our house (I actually have to give this some thought though), while prepping our vehicles in the garage to eventually hit the road once the majority of society has crashed, and (I hope?), many of the infected are dead.  Goal of the road is to get to a better location (south) where we won't freeze to death in the winter.

Hardest thing will be telling neighbors we can't help them in the first few days, and hope they don't burn us out of the home.  

I would not start sniping the walking dead my house was under threat though, I would try to keep a low profile for as long as possibly before I opened up with the guns.

Typed this on my iPad, apologies for typos.

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Go to the supermarket and run every credit card to the max.  I'd say gun store (or WalMart) for ammo, but I'm good there.  I don't have the option of running, so it's just a matter of time before I'm dinner.

View Quote

this run up my cards to get what i need
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#48]
12hr window means that I'll have at least two tidal opportunities to back the boat down the driveway into the water, load up with our usual Christmas holiday loadout, have takeout with the family and then head out afterwards, 40 minutes at 5kts then nine minutes at 30kts and we're tied up setting up camp in the backend of nowhere with the kids dusting off their old treehouses while we decided whether to hook or shoot dinner.

Fast forward a year or so later - Once feeding time is over back in town we'll swing back, I'm working on the assumption that the zombies will over-run looters before they could touch what I left behind, hopefully it won't take too much work to get my lawns and garden looking good again...
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

oh come on it wasnt that bad was it

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd watch my ex go down

I hate a good heartbreaker
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top