Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2017 8:30:18 AM EDT
We took in a puppy from a neighbor a few months ago.  Puppy was born in Nov, and the daughter hid it from her parents for some time before they found it and told her to find a home for it.  So, we got a new puppy.

We were told he was a mix of a Rottweiler and German Shepherd, so we were expecting a large dog.  However, it just wasn't appearing to go that way- he has these short little Corgie legs to our untrained eyes.

So I bought MrsTAP one of those doggie DNA kits that she had mentioned.  

The report took some time to come back, but they did a great job keeping us posted via email.  And the full report is REALLY COOL- lots of good info, and even a section to print and give your vet (ours was anxiously awaiting the results- I think they had a pool going).

So meet Rudy, the not 50/50 German Shepherd / Rottweiler mix:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

There is a lot more information there, these are just some samples of our not-what-we-expected results!

We got our kit from Embark, and it was $180 or so.  You can get it for $170 if referred by an existing customer.  I'm not affiliated, but was really pleased with it overall.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool...and CUTE Dawg!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Very cool...and CUTE Dawg!!
View Quote
Thanks!  I've not met him yet- I was deployed when MrsTAP took him in and I don't get back for another 2 months or so.  I'm looking forward to meeting the new family member.
MrsTAP has certainly had her hands full of this effort on her own, but did a great job.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, now that is a weird looking dag. You'll have people trying to figure out exactly what ''breed'' it is for the next decade or so.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
That looks like Alf.  Are you sure he isn't extraterrestrial?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll have people trying to figure out exactly what ''breed'' it is for the next decade or so.
View Quote
Indeed.  I'm thinking about carrying around the damn graph to show them!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on your adorable, mixed up pupper!
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#7]
First I've heard of these kits. Good looking pup OP!
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome mutt.

Mutts are the best.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We took in a puppy from a neighbor a few months ago.  Puppy was born in Nov, and the daughter hid it from her parents for some time before they found it and told her to find a home for it.  So, we got a new puppy.

We were told he was a mix of a Rottweiler and German Shepherd, so we were expecting a large dog.  However, it just wasn't appearing to go that way- he has these short little Corgie legs to our untrained eyes.

So I bought MrsTAP one of those doggie DNA kits that she had mentioned.  

The report took some time to come back, but they did a great job keeping us posted via email.  And the full report is REALLY COOL- lots of good info, and even a section to print and give your vet (ours was anxiously awaiting the results- I think they had a pool going).

So meet Rudy, the not 50/50 German Shepherd / Rottweiler mix:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145914/18922634-800004008859-6167037698648941121-o-223592.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145914/FTree-223593.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145914/RudyChrom-223594.JPG

There is a lot more information there, these are just some samples of our not-what-we-expected results!

We got our kit from Embark, and it was $180 or so.  You can get it for $170 if referred by an existing customer.  I'm not affiliated, but was really pleased with it overall.
View Quote

What's the difference between the Embark kit and the kids I see online for $60?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Definitely see the Pekeypeke!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
No breed of peace in there...  So you're good to go!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
https://topdogtips.com/best-dog-dna-tests/
https://dogbreedidentifier.com/dog-dna-test-reviews/

When we first got him:
Attachment Attached File

Now, at 7 months old:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
really?  Nothing

Mars has got a lock on the DNA doggie genetic testing,they all go to the same lab.  You are paying for possibly slightly different components in the test kit and how they present the information they find.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Neat.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I wish they had these back when this guy was around. We know mom was a Pit Mix, but dad was and is a total mystery:

A couple of days after we got him:

About 2 years old, in the middle:

The next dogs were supermutts, too. In the bathtub with some of their littermates:

King is the black and white one in the center, Molly is the grey and white pup behind him. He was the "enforcer" of the litter. The boss of the pups, who would be called "Boomer" is the tri colored pup on top of Molly. Later on, when King and him met again, King was too rough for him, Boomer had been turned into a wuss, and neutered.

As young adults, King tormenting her, as usual. The body language on King shows I named him right. He was always the boss.

We always wondered how many dads there were. Has to be more than a couple.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
really?  Nothing

Mars has got a lock on the DNA doggie genetic testing,they all go to the same lab.  You are paying for possibly slightly different components in the test kit and how they present the information they find.
View Quote
I pretty much agree with that.  The biggest difference we saw in them was the report format you got and how the information was compiled and presented.  The wife liked the Embark reports much more than the others, even if the root DNA testing that generated them was the same.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top