Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2017 8:55:10 PM EDT
So my GSD having some issues with her paw. It doesn't appear to bother her too much. She does like it occasionally. I've been putting ointment on it.  Any ideas what it is, causing it and how to fix it? Would be greatly appreciated.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok I'm not a vet...BUT can speak from experience.

I have had 2 rotties that had a very similar looking toe.
After being checked out it was determined it was most likely a form of cancer.
now it was a type of cancer that does not spread. But could not be confirmed without a biopsy. This required removing the toe, it sucks but we had it done.
both times sure as shit it was a cancer, can't recall the name sorry.
good thing is 90% of the time if caught early, removal of the one toe solves and removes it completely.

It starts deep in the nail bed and is very uncomfortable for the dog. It swells, they lick at it and irritate it. At some point she will start to limp as it starts to hurt more. It will get to a point that she won't want to walk.

Get her to a vet, the earlier they catch it the better. Again if it is what I'm thinking basically amputation of the toe is only option. And again, it is not a aggressive cancer stays local. Unlike other aggressive cancers theater spread to other organs.

Look up squamous cell carcinoma in dogs.

On both of ours we thought it was just a infection or bug bite. But learned what it really was.
once they removed the toe it took about 2 weeks to heal. They both walked and ran fine at week 3 post surgery.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Foot or Toe Cancer in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/foot-or-toe-cancer

Some good info here.

Now for the record, out vet hospital to remove the toe, do biopsy and all meds cost $1300.00 . Don't pay any attention to the stupid price thing on the linked page.

But this page describes most common toe/paw cancers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I am stuck with CQ now, I emailed the local vet to set up an appointment for her.  Trying to be positive, I had a friend suggest maybe it could just be allergies?  From the info I was able to pull up on google it seemed like this type of thing gets older dogs.  She is just over 1.5 years old.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Have her feet been kept dry? Any chance of a fungal infection of some sort?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have her feet been kept dry? Any chance of a fungal infection of some sort?
View Quote
Unless I take them outside after it rains or early in the morning when there is still Dew on the ground her feet are generally dry.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Can also be causes by licking their feet. It can be caused by allergies (generally food) or boredom. Once they start doing it they generally won't stop. The licking causes an immune system response.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Members: Posting the big "C" word (Cancer) is about as scary of topic as one can comment so if you really dont know, i would highly recommend not mentioning cancer unless you know more about the issue at hand.   Since it is a young dog it is highly unlikely to be cancer.  It's tough to say by simply looking at a picture but did you notice the swelling around the nail bed prior to the animal licking it?  It may be a nail injury or infection that is causing discomfort so she is licking it excessively and only making the possibility of an infection worse.  As i will almost always state on these board when medical questions are poised: Schedule a vet appointment and have her examined to avoid a misdiagnosis by "Dr. Google".  For the time being, try to keep her from pestering it.  

Cschelk2 DVM
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Members: Posting the big "C" word (Cancer) is about as scary of topic as one can comment so if you really dont know, i would highly recommend not mentioning cancer unless you know more about the issue at hand.   Since it is a young dog it is highly unlikely to be cancer.  It's tough to say by simply looking at a picture but did you notice the swelling around the nail bed prior to the animal licking it?  It may be a nail injury or infection that is causing discomfort so she is licking it excessively and only making the possibility of an infection worse.  As i will almost always state on these board when medical questions are poised: Schedule a vet appointment and have her examined to avoid a misdiagnosis by "Dr. Google".  For the time being, try to keep her from pestering it.  

Cschelk2 DVM
View Quote
There really isn't too much swelling, if any at all. The morning after I posted the OP I have been giving her honey and Benadryl and it seems to be helping.  The local vet is booked until next week.  I will see how it goes over the weekend and go from there.  The only time it really even seemed like it was bothering her was when I would put either the ointment on it (forget what it is, but is for dogs) and the hydrocortisone on it.  She has been the happy go lucky crazy young GSD it hasn't slowed her down.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
How's the pup doing?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can also be causes by licking their feet. It can be caused by allergies (generally food) or boredom. Once they start doing it they generally won't stop. The licking causes an immune system response.
View Quote
We had this problem. Food allergies was/is our problem.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top