Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 10:10:31 PM EDT
some articles on net say 3 years causes cancer.

he is an indoor and 6 y.o.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The first thing is to evaluate whether or not your cat needs or is required to have a rabies vaccine.  I recommend it to all cats that are outdoors frequently but only about 1/3 of indoor cats are vaccinated for rabies (at our clinic).   The rabies vaccine does have the rare potential to cause what is called a vaccine sarcoma which is a form of tumor that is usually localized to the area where the vaccine was given (should be given in the right, rear leg).  To my knowledge there is no real data that suggests a 3 year vaccine has a higher incidence of cancer occurrence than a one year.  Ask your vet next time you are there; don't rely on internet comments or Dr. Google.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My cats are 100% indoor.  They get vaccinated when kittens but I don't fool with it after that.  There is no way they are getting rabies laying around my house.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
cschelk2, StewartTR
Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My cats are 100% indoor.  They get vaccinated when kittens but I don't fool with it after that.  There is no way they are getting rabies laying around my house.
View Quote
Not calling you out so dont take it that way; the sole reason we vaccinate indoor cats for rabies is because of bats.  I've had countless bats sent out for rabies testing that were found in peoples houses, fortunately they were all negative for rabies but its something to note.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
some articles on net say 3 years causes cancer.

he is an indoor and 6 y.o.
View Quote

My dog caught cancer at the injection site nearly every vaccine. It wasn't a 3 yr either. Our vette told us to quit vaccinating her once he figured out what was going on. My dog had a few surgeries to get rid of the cancer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The last dog I put down had a 3 yr rabies though.
After that shot she had a harder time walking, the rear right leg quit getting the brain signal. She had a couple seizure like episodes. Life sucked for her for about a year until I put her down. She was old though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My dog not only had a reaction (lump) at the injection site, she has developed AID (autoimmune disease).  Specifically she has IMPA and IBD.  There are multiple studies online that dogs with IMPA show a significantly higher number of distemper antibodies than in normal dogs.  There's only one way for those to have gotten there.

She will never get another vaccine and I've been given a losing situation.  This disease will ultimately end her life.  She will be six on 5/10/17.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Consider the benefits vs. risks on all injections. If it's an indoor cat I would say it's better off without. Outdoor cats may benefit from additional vaccines.

RIP Luna 10 year indoor cat with fibrosarcoma at injection site.
Attachment Attached File
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top