Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 11:58:11 PM EDT
I put my 14.5 yr old dog down today.  
We had it set up yesterday, and the vet came into my house for it. My dog put on a good show for the stranger, and I was upset over killing my dog so my wife and I decided to give my old girl some more time.
That same night she went back to loss of mobility and we knew the vet was going to come back again tomorrow.
It's hard to say goodbye to a friend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss OP
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for your loss OP.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

This was taken last night. She could only walk a couple steps and would flop over. It's tough to watch. Before I had kids, she was my kid.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry OP, been there and know,that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry to hear this I've had to have it done once myself and I would have given anything not to have to tell the vet to go ahead. And my oldest girl is going to be 14 in a couple months, so this thread and and the 15 y/o cat one are hard to read.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
It's crazy how dogs will try till the very end to still make you happy and show you they are "ok" even though they are on deaths door.  I remember my 15 yo dog I put down(who had cancer, hip dysplasia and something else) who couldn't walk or hold her bowels, still tried to walk to me before she was put down. Still hurts like hell.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#8]
So sorry for your loss OP.  

Please remember that preventing their suffering is the final act of love you can show them...  as hard as that may be to understand right now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
My condolences.

I had to put one down for the first time a few years ago.  I feel your pain.

One of the hardest things I ever had to do.

On a different note, there was no better therapy than bringing home a new puppy for the family.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's crazy how dogs will try till the very end to still make you happy and show you they are "ok" even though they are on deaths door.  I remember my 15 yo dog I put down(who had cancer, hip dysplasia and something else) who couldn't walk or hold her bowels, still tried to walk to me before she was put down. Still hurts like hell.
View Quote
After the first needle that makes my dog drunk, then sleepy my dog looked right up to me and licked my face as I held her. It's like for about 1 whole minute she was my beautiful little pup all over again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm sorry to hear this I've had to have it done once myself and I would have given anything not to have to tell the vet to go ahead. And my oldest girl is going to be 14 in a couple months, so this thread and and the 15 y/o cat one are hard to read.
View Quote
I went to put her down and didn't on the first day so I had to relive the sad day all over again. This old girl had thyroid problems, had bowel problems, but after her last rabies vaccine she fell apart neurologically/nervous system.  Her rear right leg used to give out a lot after that, and once she had a seizure to which I rushed her to the ER thinking this was her last day. (vet said the signal from her brain isn't making it consistently to her leg) One year later and she would walk on one curled fist, and the other 3 paws limping around. Her tail was always down. She would just tip over falling flat on her side, then lay where she'd fall for hours or until I'd pick her up and place her on her dog bed. Sometimes she'd bark at nothing for hours. It was sad to see her fall flat on her side all the time. Towards the end I'd try to support her hip while she peed in the grass, and she'd fall on her side and pee if I didn't hold her up. She was also dehydrated.
After a few days of her not being able to walk we decided to euthanize her.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife was talking about how hard it would be to kill Isabelle.
My 8 yr old overheard and said mom it's easy. First you get a gun, then you draw a target and put it on Isabelle. Of course we corrected him but it was really funny. He wouldn't try to kill Isabelle, just making the statement on how easy it would be. He's too young to understand the emotional decision to end the life of the family dog. That dog was nearly twice as old as him.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Been there.

So sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll share this with you ...

My Dog Dusty

I wrote this after I put Dusty down.  The picture is from the night before.  She knew...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Man,im so sorry..... it's tough.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll share this with you ...

My Dog Dusty

I wrote this after I put Dusty down.  The picture is from the night before.  She knew...
View Quote
Dusty sounds perfect. Reading your story made me relive some of my feelings, but Dusty sounds quite exceptional.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Never easy to lose a loyal family member.  Sorry for your loss OP.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm sorry OP.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#21]
sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#23]
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where all the dogs went.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top