Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2017 2:32:49 PM EDT
While I was showering this morning, one of my cats that sits on the sink and waits for me left this on my glasses. I didn't actually see or hear him sneeze it out, but in the past I have seen another cat do it. When describing the previous incident to my vet after it happened, he said it sounded like a tapeworm segment. I never heard of tapeworm segments having motility, but he said they did. The worm in the video is the same kind of worm. Is it a tapeworm segment or not? To me it looks like a planaria worm like we studied in school. I made a vet appt for the cat on Monday.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Who cares what kind it is.

Save it in a bag or something.  If you like said kitty then get kitty the vet on monday.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While I was showering this morning, one of my cats that sits on the sink and waits for me left this on my glasses. I didn't actually see or hear him sneeze it out, but in the past I have seen another cat do it. When describing the previous incident to my vet after it happened, he said it sounded like a tapeworm segment. I never heard of tapeworm segments having motility, but he said they did. The worm in the video is the same kind of worm. Is it a tapeworm segment or not? To me it looks like a planaria worm like we studied in school. I made a vet appt for the cat on Monday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMBpWEEd8Rw
View Quote

Protein, eat it..
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who cares what kind it is.

Save it in a bag or something.  If you like said kitty then get kitty the vet on monday.
View Quote

Already have an appt, like I said earlier. Tried saving the one from the other cat in a plastic bag, by the time the vet opened the next business day it had died and turned into a shapeless, transparent blob.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a tapeworm, and yes, they are highly mobile. Blechhh.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#6]
The vet confirmed that it was a tapeworm and applied Profender. I got 6 more doses for the other cats at home, which should be fun because 2 of them are feral rescues that I can barely even touch. But if one has tapeworms they all likely do, and if one goes untreated they'll all likely get them again. When I can catch patient zero taking a dump I have to bring a fecal sample in to check for other parasites.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
My old cat Orville was a stray we kind of got talked into keeping. When we first brought him home, I saw a tapeworm segment in the litter box. We took him to the vet, who injected him with something to get rid of the worms On the way home, we decided to stop and pick something up to eat. Just before we got back to the house, he started coughing and making a lot of strange noises, and then he coughed up what appeared to be a bundle of egg noodles. The size alone was shocking, it was at least 6" long and as big as his head. He was only about 6" from head to butt, so it was a mystery as to how he could be carrying all those worms inside him! When we went back to the vet, we told him what he had coughed up and he got really angry that we hadn't brought it to him, so he could put it in his "display", a case full of some really scary stuff, like hearts full of heartworms, tumors, etc. Later on, he wanted my dog Gus's "Magnificent head!" after he went to add to his case, since he was the hardest biter he had seen since he quit being the zoo vet, and thought his head would be a "classic". He never got Gus's head, BTW.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top