Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 5:33:13 PM EDT
She is about 7-8 months old and the people that are giving her to us are having trouble with their current dog not getting along. They have had coonhounds before and are training her very well on the important things. I've only had German shepherds and labs, so I'm not sure what to expect. The main thing I'm worried about is her getting on a scent and wandering off. I'm on 4 acres of fenced land, but from doing some research these dogs are crafty and like to ignore the owner when on a scent.

I have a 6 year old black lab that will be a companion for her when I'm not home. The back yard Is about 50x100 of 6ft chainlink fence, I hope that will contain her when I'm not around.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've only had German shepherds and labs, so I'm not sure what to expect.
View Quote
You are in for a VERY different experience. You are going from a background with dogs that generally want to please you and work for you to a dog that will require a very different approach to training and may never be as reliable or obedient as your previous GSDs and Labs. They also require a lot of exercise. They are "make me" dogs, so get the training 2x4 ready And expect a lot more noise than you are used to. And if he ever gets loose, unless you've got him hunt trained to a fare thee well...

I've got two words of advice for you: Garmin Alpha.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever herd of the story of turkeys drowning in the rain because they are too stupid to stop looking up? Well, Redbones are a little smarter. They are really cool loyal fun dogs but they are dumber then a stone.
I switched to Blue-ticks for coon hunting because after a while I learned that "you cant fix stupid". I just dont have the patients anymore to train something so dumb.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the encouragement, lol. The first thing the owners trained her was to come, which from what i have read is pretty important if they get on a scent, she has been trained to do all of the common dog commands plus, play dead, back up, roll over, stay away from people food, and is very good on a leash. I hope that helps with what im getting myself into
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The one my daughter gave us to watch ...  was as nice a dog as one could ever ask for. It too was a rescue dog and I would guess she had a hard life prior to staying with my daughter for five years and two plus with us. She didn't use her eyes at all, she just followed her nose! There could be deer fifty feet from us BUT her nose would be on the ground following some mouse or mole and the deer would just walk away. I would never trust her off leash as her nose did her thinking for her and she could not hear when she was tracking. I would go again for another Red Bone IF... I could find one as nice as her.  Unofficially... I have been eyeing some that are looking for homes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine had two Redbones. He lived out in the sticks and had no close neighbors that would be annoyed by the noises they made, so that was no problem. They did have a habit of getting loose (Amazing jumps over the fence), and injuring themselves, or getting skunked, or, the worst, finding a Porcupine. They got needled more than once, and a couple of times they got badly injured by some unknown cause and had to be sewed up. They both lived to 13, and when they went, my friend moved to FL and he has Labs now. Much calmer.

Another friend has a Gran Blue De Gascone, or a Bluetick, not sure, but it's huge. It's the "boss dog" of his 4 dogs, all at least 100 pounds. He has a Redbone/Pit mix that is the quietest of the four, a Lab/Pit that is the most hyper, he's doing what my old Pit mix did, constantly injure himself. The other one is A Black and Tan Coonhound/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, and he's by far the loudest, and most likely to hurt someone by being too friendly and knocking them down. He's head butted me, given me several shots to the balls, and hit me in the back of the legs a couple of times, making me fall down. When all four of them look out the window and see something a half mile away and go off, it's pretty impressive. Dust comes off the ceiling when they let loose, and the windows "ring". And I thought my Beagle was bad.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Get her a coon.  Preferably and redbone one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know much about them other than that I saw one for the first time a few weeks ago.

They're incredibly good looking dogs.

That's all I've got.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]
My youngest brought a half redbone half walker female coon dog home one day.  Just a puppy when it was given to him by a friend.

That dog cured me of ever wanting a coon dog.  Hell, before I'd get a coon dog to coon hunt with I'd see if my bird dogs would tree coons.

That dog destroyed my dog pen fences, dug holes everywhere in the pen.  I had to replace the fence and put more fence down on the ground inside the fence in an effort to keep her from digging out.  I still have steel pipe/stakes/rebar driven into the ground here and there around the pen.  I have treated 4X4's staked to the ground along the inside of the fence in places, I have patio bricks (the 16"X16" concrete ones) stuffed in spots along the fence here and there.

Noise?  While I won't complain about her barking at night (one or more of our dogs over the years have always warned us of things coming in/around the yard over the years) she used to aggravate the hell out of me during the day.  If I walk out my back door right now my bird dog mix dogs will jump up, run to the fence, wag their tails at me and watch me walk to the garage as I talk to them.  That coon dog would jump up, run to the fence and start that coon dog moaning/groaning/howling/barking/awful noise shit that coon dogs do.  Every single time I walked out the back door.  She would never ever shut up.

She was just a big old love bug.  She'd come up to you sit down and let you pet her ears, chin, neck, back and just look at you with those big golden brown eyes.  Then get up, get after a deer and be gone for hours.  No amount of hollering and yelling would turn her once she got a scent of something.  She was sneaky as hell and would watch you to see when you stopped watching her and then she'd be gone.  She found out quick that she could get out of range of the controller of the training collar if you didn't' see her going over the hill right away.  I got a new one with a 400 yd. range and cut into a lot of her running off to hunt but she'd still get gone some days.

She was about 6 years old, weight 108 lbs. and had the biggest feet and longest toes of any dog I've ever seen.  When she got aggressive she had a swathe of reddish looking hair that would stand up on her back from her neck to her tail.

Last year she got sick.  Started swelling up in her midsection and glands.  Took her to the vet.  Lymphoma.  Prescription for prednisone did wonders for her swelling, got her appetite back, got her energy back and was back to her old self for almost two months.  One day she was barking, moaning, bouncing around the yard with us and the other dog and the next morning she was lying beside the big doghouse dead.  That was a big hole I had to dig out there under the plum trees beside my other two dogs' resting places.

And as much as she aggravated me almost daily I'd be lying if I said all the water than ran down my face that day was just sweat from digging that hole.  Getting dusty right now typing this.  Dogs have a way of growing on you, especially when their life gets cut short for no good reason.

Like I started this long post out.  No more coon dogs for me.  I'll take my mixed breed bird dog mutts every day over a hound.  Got two really good ones now.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top