Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2017 3:01:44 PM EDT
Couple issues i wanted to find help for with my gsd. Hes three, "pure bred" no papers or anything. My dog gets so obsessed over things like, for example, light reflections. If your phone or watch relfect a light onto the wall, he will attack the wall and put a hole it. Tin foil, forks and knives, flashlights at night, anything.. ive fixed many holes in the walls now. Same with the sprinkle, i have fixed many holes in the yard cause he freaks out over the water. This past weekend, he went after the brand new couch...  not happy. And another problem and most important to me right now. He has decides to start humping... like my girlfriends 7year old and other children.. and now she hates him. Idk why he decided to start doing this. He will flow him around and whine like crazy then he will try to get on top of him. Will getting his boys chopped off end this at all? Please help..
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Neutering won't fix either problem. Training might. Your dog is developing OCD with regards to the light chasing. You might can get a handle on it with obedience work, namely issuing commands that directly conflict with his ability to chase light (i.e. Sit, down, stay, kennel up, etc). Pick one that he knows and reliably performs, and insist that he perform it. Start slowly with just little flashes until he gets the hang of it. Then work up to longer flashes, moving flashes, and multiple flashes. If he cannot do this, you may need to talk to the vet about meds to treat it.

The humping is a dominance thing. He is challenging the kids for their place in the pack, and that needs stopped posthaste. Use a "nothing in life is free" approach to remind him of his position in the pack, and have the kids assist. They feed him, let him out and in, etc, and he must execute commands that they issue prior to receiving anything (food, water, outside time, toys, treats, even basic attention). No up on furniture at all for the first while, and after he ceases the dominance displays, by invitation only (maybe). If you don't curb the dominance displays, you could very well end up with a child getting bitten.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever play with a laser with him when he was a puppy? He may think it is a game. Mine freaks out over glares but he is pretty good when I tell him to cut it out. Obedience will help with that. I can't offer any help on the humping, though it could be a dominance thing where he views the kid as "lower" in the pack.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen several dogs that showed signs of OCD like behavior, and the only one that wasn't a purebred dog was my mutt King, who for years had a thing for mouse hunting. There were several old nasty buildings torn down in the area (county orphanage complex) and the mice would come in waves every time one of the buildings came down. He would stay up for days at a time, hunting until he collapsed from exhaustion. He finally "retired" at about 10 years and just ignored a mouse if he saw one, inside or out. He did continue to hunt and eat the Cicadas that appear every year in the back yard.

One friend of mine's German Shepherd was obsessed over him. If he couldn't see his face, it would panic. When he would leave the house, it would then transfer the obsession to whoever remained. When he broke up with his long term GF, he moved back home for a while and the dog spent so much time with his parents that he became more obsessed with them than with my friend. Like King, when he got old, he suddenly decided it was too much work and "retired" the obsession. For the last couple of years, he was pretty much a "normal" dog.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top