Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2016 12:39:07 PM EDT
Picked this guy up last night! He's very black for a Doberman, his father only had a bit of black on his feet. Vader is mostly black! Good little guy so far, took to the crate like he loves it. He plays, plays, plays, then takes a toy and lays right down in it! Last night was his first time in one, he cried for only a minute or 2. Now he only does when he needs to go potty. So far he's only gone outside  I'm sure all of this will reverse itself soon though

Black feet, no bowtie

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Aww, too cute to be a sith lord.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Photo not coming through for me
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Because photobucket has kicked the bucket recently.  I'm gonna start looking for an alternative, their service is crap and their site's all 'tarded.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because photobucket has kicked the bucket recently.  I'm gonna start looking for an alternative, their service is crap and their site's all 'tarded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, it's down right now. Also, the moblie app has AIDS.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
stevie wonder wonders what your dog looks like
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, I can see him now! He's a cutie.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
What a great dog!
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a quick pic today while changing his posts. Probably the 3rd or 4th posting, 2 weeks since getting his stitches out:

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
What a great looking dog! Very happy for you. I've been in a constant argument with my wife about getting one. Soonest she says now would be March but might have to wait as long as two years. Yikes! I'll just have to live vicariously through you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#10]
What a ham, they did an outstanding job on his ears! Going to be a great looking dog, congrats.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet baby!!!

And those ears are looking good. Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Precious.

I've always thought they were gorgeous animals. Merry Christmas sir.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Snow hike today. Did 3 miles, his first time going for a walk outside of our neighborhood and his first time off leash with me. He stayed close almost the whole time, mostly he was right behind me.

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweet baby!!!

And those ears are looking good. Keep up the good work!
View Quote

How you Doberman owners have the patience to tape and post that tall skinny crop I'll never know.  

That is a great looking pup you have there OP.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:44:19 AM EDT
[#15]
How long does it take for the ears to heal up after the surgery? How often do you have to change the dressing?

Dobbies are badass looking dogs that just "don't look right" without their ears done. Always wondered how much (or not) of a hassle it was to have them cropped.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#16]
<- my Vader.  Miss him terribly.  Osteosarcoma at just shy of 7 yrs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How long does it take for the ears to heal up after the surgery? How often do you have to change the dressing?

Dobbies are badass looking dogs that just "don't look right" without their ears done. Always wondered how much (or not) of a hassle it was to have them cropped.
View Quote

The ears heal in about 10 days. Then they are posted until they are done teething, minimum. Sometimes many months longer if the crop is long. The posts are changed about every 3-4 days.  Not much hassle at all. It takes about 5 mins to change them out and clean the ears.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
<- my Vader.  Miss him terribly.  Osteosarcoma at just shy of 7 yrs.
View Quote

Handsome boy, so sorry
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Very interested in the Dobermans. I think down the road I'd like to have a red Doberman.

I'm sure its different with every dog but do they give you a hard time when you change their dressings/posts? My mutt hates his ears cleaned or messed with beyond petting.

Mind my asking what it cost you to have his ears cropped? Do most vets do it or are some opposed to it after all the liberal propaganda they are fed?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine sat nice and still for her dressing/post changes. It's all in what you let them get away with, really.

As for cropping, not all vets do it, and of those who do, some are much better than others. The shorter crops are easier for vets to do and easier to get to stand, but if you want the really long show crops, you'll have to go to a really good, experienced crop vet. Most show people who show cropped breeds can tell you who the good ones are. Those would be Boxers, Dobes, and Danes, primarily (as they are the breeds with the long, dramatic crops). And you can expect it to cost anywhere from $250-800. Maybe more, depending on your area.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got a quick pic today while changing his posts. Probably the 3rd or 4th posting, 2 weeks since getting his stitches out:

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/beerswimmer/Resized_20161212_162300_zpssex1dzkq.jpg
View Quote

Good looking pup.  Ears came out good too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mine sat nice and still for her dressing/post changes. It's all in what you let them get away with, really.

As for cropping, not all vets do it, and of those who do, some are much better than others. The shorter crops are easier for vets to do and easier to get to stand, but if you want the really long show crops, you'll have to go to a really good, experienced crop vet. Most show people who show cropped breeds can tell you who the good ones are. Those would be Boxers, Dobes, and Danes, primarily (as they are the breeds with the long, dramatic crops). And you can expect it to cost anywhere from $250-800. Maybe more, depending on your area.
View Quote

Yeah, mine is OK during the changes. The key is to be quick. I get his new posts made and all the tape pieces prepped an ready before I get him on the stool(he can't go anywhere to get away) to start. It takes about 20-30 seconds per ear, after a good cleaning.

I had to go about an hour away to a vet to get the crop done, none in my town would do it. IIRC it was ~$400 all together, including follow ups and getting the stitches out.

Don't worry, posting is actually super easy, it only seems hard if you've never done it
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a quick update, little Lord Vader is getting close to being 6 months old and is almost 60lbs.  He's grown more black since he first came home, the pics make the tan/rust he does have look lighter than they actually are in person.  He's basically all black.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Blackest mofo in the whole galaxy!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Saw this thread and thought.  Man that would be an epic name for a cat...
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#25]
6 months old yesterday!

8 weeks old, the day after we picked him up:
Attachment Attached File

6 months old:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very interested in the Dobermans. I think down the road I'd like to have a red Doberman.

I'm sure its different with every dog but do they give you a hard time when you change their dressings/posts? My mutt hates his ears cleaned or messed with beyond petting.

Mind my asking what it cost you to have his ears cropped? Do most vets do it or are some opposed to it after all the liberal propaganda they are fed?
View Quote
I used 'two collars' with my current girls when doing the cleaning and posting routine at the beginning. I would squat down and stick out a knee, get them to come place their chin on it and then use the second collar to secure them (extra collar slipped through their collar) to that knee for the work being done.

With a kind hand and lots of praise (treats or whatever), it does not take long to teach them that if they come rest their chin on your knee for a few minutes - Really good things will happen afterwards... Treats / praise / whatever gets them happy.

If I was to squat down now and stick out a knee mine would both be lining up to plop their chin down on it. In their doggie brains they would see that knee as an ear massage with possible treats thrown in the mix at the end and come running for it.

Knowing how much 'sticky' you need with the glue on the tape to keep the dog from flinging it off in seconds and then knowing how to break that bond before you go to unwrapping things is important. (proper solvents for the tape you are using)

The dog is not likely to give up the chin so easily each time you go to do a cleaning or posting if you are ripping out ear hair each time you call them..
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top