Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2016 6:45:06 PM EDT
Currently giving Glucosamine HCL (500mg) with MSM (500mg) each day for a 20lb dog but it doesn't seem to be working.

What have you found to be successful to treat arthritis in dogs?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Currently giving Glucosamine HCL (500mg) with MSM (500mg) each day for a 20lb dog but it doesn't seem to be working.

What have you found to be successful to treat arthritis in dogs?
View Quote

My Pitt mix had developed a limp in his front right leg. He was having a hard time walking around the block. I was racking my brain for ways to help him and had even gotten a prescription for anti inflammatory meds. They did not work but I decided to try something else, and that was Ostioboiflex.

That stuff did wonders, in a few weeks he was back to walking fine and with a regular dose he is not limping anymore except under extreme exertion. It's expensive but worked wonders. He is about 85 pounds and I give him one every few days. I know some people give more like 2 pills a day
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Is Ostioboiflex for people or specific for pets as I didn't see one.
I prefer one for pets only because it is much easier to get her to eat it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My sheltie got to where I had to carry him up and down the stairs (yes at his command) and we put him on  a grain free food and started adding MCT oil to it and he went back to going up and down the stairs by himself.

I got the Idea after my Dr put me on a grain free diet for my arthritis and it helped me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Ostioboiflex for people or specific for pets as I didn't see one.
I prefer one for pets only because it is much easier to get her to eat it.
View Quote

It's for humans and is a huge pill no doubt. Both of mine spit out pills so it took me a while to perfect the way to give it to them. I either cut a hot dog into smaller pieces, cram the pill in it or coat it with mayo. They never spit it out then.

Neither will take a pill outright though
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My sheltie got to where I had to carry him up and down the stairs (yes at his command) and we put him on  a grain free food and started adding MCT oil to it and he went back to going up and down the stairs by himself.

I got the Idea after my Dr put me on a grain free diet for my arthritis and it helped me.
View Quote

Was it really the grain free food or the MCT that did the trick?

Nice dog btw.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Glucosamine works wonders
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice dog btw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice dog btw.

Cutting out inflammatory foods  has made dramatic improvements for the whole family.
Outside of stupid injuries I am pain free and my chiropractor thinks I am stepping out on him. from visits  once a week to it's been a year.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Glucosamine works wonders
View Quote

She has been on Glucosamine for a couple of years, but she recently has gotten worse.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Accupuncture worked great on our old dog. His hips were pretty well worn out. He didn't like it at all the first time, but by the third, he couldn't wait to get those needles in. His walks went back to his usual 2-3 miles, and he gained 12 pounds back he had lost due to loss of muscle mass. It made his last few months pretty pleasant.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#10]
My dobbie was on Rimadyl for the last few years of his life. It helped him get around tremendously.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Since posting we opted to give these items a try as they received great reviews on Amazon.
Turmeric Chews
Doggone Advanced Joint Supplement

The actually arrived on Sunday and so far have seen an improvement.
Will keep the thread updated in case others are interested.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top