Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 10:17:40 PM EDT
My dog started chewing at her hips a week and a half ago. The once side cleared up but the other is getting worse. I started giving the are a scrub once a week and then blow dry and then gold bond but she keep licking at the other spot. She is a 2yo Bernese Mountain dog. I don't know if it was a flea bite allergy or if she sat in something outside. But, I do not want to take her to the vet if it is something I can treat at home.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
bitter apples or tea tree oil spray
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Feed them to her, or put it on the wound to deter licking.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a clippers and clip up the affected areas.  This will minimize irritation from the hair. Depending on severity you may need antibiotics but you can clip, clean, and try benadryl as well (1 to 1.5 MG per pound, twice daily)
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I had this problem too, and tried all the over the counter meds and none helped. My mom told me about her remedy and i tried that and it worked amazingly well. Aloe plant, not the gel but the actual plant, break a piece off and split it open, take the split open plant and put it gel side down on the wound and give it a good coating. Cleared it up in a matter of days
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
my dog used to get them pretty bad, as well as excessive itching from some kind of allergy. I tried all kinds of foods, tried creams and sprays, etc.

You know what worked?

anti seborrheic shampoo. Haven't had issues with him in years.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used Vetericyn wound spray and a cone of shame.  Applied the spray several times a day and kept the cone on whenever he was unattended and things cleared up in about a week.  It was an older dog and he had chewed one of his hips absolutely raw.  Clipping the hair back around the would helps with the irritation as well.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top