Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 10:43:29 PM EDT
I have two five year old litter mates who have a mutual separation anxiety.  Unfortunately one is dying of cancer.  I have to have the vet put him down.  Anyone do this before?  I"m going to do my best to keep the survivor happy, but I can see her brother's death breaking her spirit.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
another dog like a pup makes the difference in the world
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  When my granddad passed his dachshund just laid in front of my granddad's closest unless I went over there. She ignored everyone else except me. Mainly a dachshund thing they like certain people. Then my grandmother got a rescue dog and now she is happy. Thus I would suggest as the first post get another dog.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think this may be your best bet.

My wife started fostering dogs and when we have the same one for a while before he gets adopted out our dog will get all mopy until we get a another. Shes usually all standoffish for a few days then they suddenly decide it okay to play with each other.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Another post encouraging you to find a companion for your dog.

When my dog passed away,  my cat who had lived with him for eleven years was despondent,  he walked around the house looking for him for a week, it was sad to see.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
When we have a horse put down we do it in the field and leave the body for a few hours, or even overnight, until the grave gets dug.  This gives the herdmates a chance to look over the body and realize the critter has passed on.  It does seem to help versus situations where the horse just leaves the herd, like when it gets sold.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, an addition to your pack will make a world of difference to your dog.  HOWEVER, GET A SECOND DOG FOR YOU NOT FOR YOUR DOG.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll throw in with the advice to get another dog to ease the grieving process, assuming you actually want another dog. Get one that's a similar energy level to the one you already have and has a temperament you can live with, and make sure you do the introductions properly, and you should be alright.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. Friday was supposed to be the day but the good Lord snowed me  in and I cancelled the vet visit.  He's actually doing better today (ate more, more energetic and even ran off with his sister to the river below) and is giving me some hope.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the vet come to the house to put them down and then I have them cremated and keep their ashes.

my dogs would never leave me in life I wont leave them in death  
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
The vet put down Ted today and he is buried on the hill that overlooks my house.  It was his favorite spot. Whenever he ran off to go exploring or swimming with his litter mate/sister, Sarah, he'd go up there, wait until he spotted someone in the house and then bark to get admitted.  RIP Ted.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry man.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]
So sorry. It never gets any easier.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Initially Sarah, the surviving lab, was listless and wouldn't leave my side whenever we went for walks.   The past couple of days has seen her return to her old energetic self.  She runs freely now, chasing game (birds & bunnies and the deer) like she used to.  She's making the adjustment to being the only dog in the house.

I'm going to the vet to get a dog tag for her brother.  I'll have his name, Ted, adoption & deceased date, as well as "Black Lab" on it.  It'll go on his grave marker.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top