Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 10:01:28 PM EDT
Always thought they were kind of a cool exotic rare type of dog.

Looking into adopting one from a local rescue.

I've never seen one in person.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]

I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Not sure that helps. You're talking about Spuds McKenzie
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Just imagine a two year kid in a dog suit.

They aren't for everybody and are usually a handful to train.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Not sure that helps. You're talking about Spuds McKenzie
View Quote

I had a staffordshire , but left it with my parents dog when I moved here. He was such a cool dog

And yes! Spuds McKenzie

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just imagine a two year kid in a dog suit.

They aren't for everybody and are usually a handful to train.
View Quote

That's what I heard.

The one I'm looking at, has had training from a professional trainer, so I'm hoping that would pass on to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one for 10 years. Smart and retarded at the same time. Extremely high strung. Can be animal aggressive.  Mine was, but randomly so.

I got mine from a good breeder, so no genetic defects,  but they can have compulsive behavior.

You need space, time and lots of energy and patience for this breed.  They are awesome though. Frigging jokers.

ETA: Very stubborn and difficult to train like the above poster mentioned.  You also have to be extremely alpha with them because they like to be dominant. They like to roam too. For a while mine was an escape artist. My buddy had the same challenge with his.  And god forbid they get loose and get a hold of a neighbors pet.

They will also tend to favor one person and can be defensive.

Bottom line is that you have to have some skills with dogs to have one.

Mine is on bottom right.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've never seen one

View Quote

Ever shop at Target ? Or watched Baa Baa Black Sheep ?
Or turned on ANY TV in the 80's with a Bud Light commercial ?  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen one

I meant in person
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had one for 10 years. Smart and retarded at the same time. Extremely high strung. Can be animal aggressive.  Mine was, but randomly so.

I got mine from a good breeder, so no genetic defects,  but they can have compulsive behavior.

You need space, time and lots of energy and patience for this breed.  They are awesome though. Frigging jokers.

ETA: Very stubborn and difficult to train like the above poster mentioned.  You also have to be extremely alpha with them because they like to be dominant. They like to roam too. For a while mine was an escape artist. My buddy had the same challenge with his.  And god forbid they get loose and get a hold of a neighbors pet.

Mine is on bottom right.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2w5njht.jpg
View Quote

Does yours have any issues being around other dogs? (besides those two)
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine was excellent with other dogs and got along great with our little Pomeranian.

Definitely an escape artist though and once he got out there was no calling him back. Very stubborn and head strong dogs.

I do miss him had to put him down at about 10 years old.

He couldn't keep weight on or food down anymore and the vets couldn't figure it out...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Namaah has bull terriers, I am surprised she hasn't chimed in.  I'm sure she wouldn't mind a PM.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mine was excellent with other dogs and got along great with our little Pomeranian.

Definitely an escape artist though and once he got out there was no calling him back. Very stubborn and head strong dogs.

He couldn't keep weight on or food down anymore and the vets couldn't figure it out...
View Quote

Damn, I hate to hear that. Did you get another dog?

And would you own one all over again?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I have owned 4. Have 2 right now. All have had different personalities. Broward mason covered most of what they're about. Be aware that they can be their own worst enemy sometimes. Many will eat anything and can get a blockage that will require zipper surgery. 2 of mine were very dog aggressive, 2 not at all, rescue will know if the one you're looking at is best as an only dog or not. The Bull Terrier Club of America has a nationwide rescue program and can usually make arrangements to unite you with a dog even if it is in another state. bullterrierclubofamericarescue.com   If you need to know anything else about the breed let me know, I have over 20 years of experience with them. I will always have one until I die. They can really get into your heart.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have owned 4. Have 2 right now. All have had different personalities. Broward mason covered most of what they're about. Be aware that they can be their own worst enemy sometimes. Many will eat anything and can get a blockage that will require zipper surgery. 2 of mine were very dog aggressive, 2 not at all, rescue will know if the one you're looking at is best as an only dog or not. The Bull Terrier Club of America has a nationwide rescue program and can usually make arrangements to unite you with a dog even if it is in another state. bullterrierclubofamericarescue.com   If you need to know anything else about the breed let me know, I have over 20 years of experience with them. I will always have one until I die. They can really get into your heart.
View Quote

Awesome! Thanks for your help.

I've been checking them as well. I have a local rescue that looks really good.

saguaro state bull terrier rescue
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a French bulldog now and he is deaf but I still miss my bull terrier.
I would probably get another one again but I doubt it would be as perfect as my 1st one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would probably get another one again but I doubt it would be as perfect as my 1st one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well how's your french bulldog? They were on my want list as well
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Bull Terriers are awesome! I love the breed, but they are not for everyone. As someone else mentioned, they are smart, but it's not an "obedience" oriented smart. More of an idiot savant sort of thing. They are stubborn, clumsy, and can be dog aggressive, but are also extremely loving, silly, and good natured. They do have some peculiarities about them, for instance their vocalizations. They bark, sure, but they have a whole range of other sounds they use to "converse" with you, including growls, moans, yips, yodels, groans, sighs, etc. Many people that first hear the conversation of a Bull Terrier think the dog is being aggressive, as it usually starts off with a grumbly growl, but if you watch the body posture, you will observe that the dog is quite relaxed and happy. The breed also has a tendency to headbutt, so you learn real fast that when going down to let them, you get a hand on that nose first (or else you end up with black eyes, broken noses, and busted lips). They also have slightly different mannerisms than most other dogs, and other dogs can have a hard time interpreting bully play signals (which can lead to tense interaction). On the whole, they are one of my favorite breeds.

My sweet boy, Rebel

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bull Terriers are awesome! I love the breed, but they are not for everyone. As someone else mentioned, they are smart, but it's not an "obedience" oriented smart. More of an idiot savant sort of thing. They are stubborn, clumsy, and can be dog aggressive, but are also extremely loving, silly, and good natured. They do have some peculiarities about them, for instance their vocalizations. They bark, sure, but they have a whole range of other sounds they use to "converse" with you, including growls, moans, yips, yodels, groans, sighs, etc. Many people that first hear the conversation of a Bull Terrier think the dog is being aggressive, as it usually starts off with a grumbly growl, but if you watch the body posture, you will observe that the dog is quite relaxed and happy. The breed also has a tendency to headbutt, so you learn real fast that when going down to let them, you get a hand on that nose first (or else you end up with black eyes, broken noses, and busted lips). They also have slightly different mannerisms than most other dogs, and other dogs can have a hard time interpreting bully play signals (which can lead to tense interaction). On the whole, they are one of my favorite breeds.

My sweet boy, Rebel

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/Anahaimayna/Dogs/ce2c9e1f-8a1b-41e2-868e-8f97c5e29f2c.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful dog! I really appreciate  your input. Is Rebel the only one you've owned?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Beautiful dog! I really appreciate  your input. Is Rebel the only one you've owned?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sweet boy, Rebel

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/Anahaimayna/Dogs/ce2c9e1f-8a1b-41e2-868e-8f97c5e29f2c.jpg

He is, but I have been around them for the last 15 years or so, including rescuing and fostering several too. I'm an active member of the Bull Terrier Club of America and have a ton of friends that breed Bullies. They are a unique and hilarious breed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Pretty much what everyone has said is what's to be expected.
Mine acts dumb but she's really clever.
Little escape artist that loves to get into shit shes not supposed to in the yard but is well behaved in the house.
They definitely are the clowns of the dog world.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Last night, at the dog park, my 5 lb Pom got to play with her Bull Terrier buddy again. The BT is this amazing ball of muscle, but she's so careful with my tiny baby. Smart and sweet and outgoing. But with bigger dogs she plays harder. Great dog. Weights a ton considering how compact she is. All muscle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Last night, at the dog park, my 5 lb Pom got to play with her Bull Terrier buddy again. The BT is this amazing ball of muscle, but she's so careful with my tiny baby. Smart and sweet and outgoing. But with bigger dogs she plays harder. Great dog. Weights a ton considering how compact she is. All muscle.
View Quote

Rebel was always quite popular for socializing toy puppies too. He would lay down and let the little things hop and pounce all over him. The first couple times, you could see the owners were nervous about this great big beastie around their little babies, but he quickly became a favorite of the toy dog breeders and owners. Rebel never showed any signs of dog aggression, even when other dogs were being very aggressive toward him. It was like he just didn't understand that behavior. He always seemed to see it as just another game.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I've read that they're a overall pretty healthy dog.

Have you guys experienced any issues?

The past two dogs I've owned have had skin issues.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've read that they're a overall pretty healthy dog.

Have you guys experienced any issues?

The past two dogs I've owned have had skin issues.
View Quote

The major health problem you have to watch for is renal failure. Additionally, some bullies are prone to obsessive compulsive behaviors like spinning and/or trancing. Other than those couple things, the breed is pretty healthy. Lifespan is usually 11-12 years, though many live well beyond that. White dogs will sunburn, so sunscreen is important.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Just had a skin cancer tumor removed.
Vet found a couple more that will need to be removed soon.

Had to get her canines removed the same day, she was pissed.

They are known to have eye issues too.
Oh and fun fact, Gen Patton had many bullies.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just had a skin cancer tumor removed.
Vet found a couple more that will need to be removed soon.
Had to get her canines removed the same day, she was pissed.

They are known to have eye issues too.
Oh and fun fact, Gen Patton had many bullies.
View Quote

Miniature bull terriers do have problems with primary lens luxation, but eye problems in standards are very uncommon. Deafness can be an issue, though, especially in white dogs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Skin allergies can also be an issue sometimes. Seems to come up more often in the Whites. Usually clears up with a change of diet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Rebel was always quite popular for socializing toy puppies too. He would lay down and let the little things hop and pounce all over him. The first couple times, you could see the owners were nervous about this great big beastie around their little babies, but he quickly became a favorite of the toy dog breeders and owners. Rebel never showed any signs of dog aggression, even when other dogs were being very aggressive toward him. It was like he just didn't understand that behavior. He always seemed to see it as just another game.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/Anahaimayna/Dogs/DixieandRebel.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/Anahaimayna/Dogs/DixieandRebel.jpg

I want to squeeze that big musclebound marshmallow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is on bottom right.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2w5njht.jpg

He was very dog aggressive before we had him fixed.  Especially other bulldogs. He was fine with our cats once he got used to them,  but killed everything that crept into our yard. He murdered several cats, a racoon, many opossumses, a hobbit, and other small furry critters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Naamah,  Have you worked with any rescues in Arizona?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Naamah,  Have you worked with any rescues in Arizona?
View Quote

Not personally, but let me give you the contact info for a great breeder out there. She would be an excellent contact if you wanted someone local in the rescue world, as Bullie breeders pretty much universally are involved with rescue as well.

Her name is Naomi Waynee, and she is the executive secretary for the Bull Terrier Club of America. [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Naamah gave you a great contact. Naomi is one of the great breeders in your state. She can lead you in the right direction. She has as much experience with Bull Terriers as anyone in the south west.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Thank you Naamah, I appreciate  the contact info.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thank you Naamah, I appreciate  the contact info.

View Quote

No problem!

She's extremely knowledgable and a very nice person.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Any contacts, or decisions?
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top